Koch Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Koch Industries Chairman and CEO Charles G. Koch
Charles G. Koch

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance during compliance season (in 26 reviews)

• Upper management had a table to eat at but most other people ate at their cubicle (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great culture & huge organization = ample opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked at Koch a decade in four separate Koch companies. Company culture is solid. Never once, in ten years, have I seen something I considered immoral or illegal. Good people - mostly midwestern. Koch doesn't recruit from Ivy League for a reason. People here care about their families and work good hours. Parking lot is nearly empty by 5:30 pm each day.

With so many subsidiaries, there is ample opportunity to change companies, cities, and/or roles. Unless you're a Director-level role or higher, most people are moving around every 2-3 years.

Koch is seeing a lot of baby boomer retirements, and a lot of millennials are coming in the door. Huge intern program (200+ interns each summer). Koch is responding fairly well to this and permitting individual teams/companies to be flexible as needed with millennial demands, however, this place is nowhere near a "start-up" culture. Dress is business-casual, most people are in cubes, there are no beanbags, no gym, no dogs at work.

If you live in Wichita and work at Koch HQ: pay is higher than local comparables, and cost of living is dirt cheap. This is a GREAT combination.

Koch cares very much for its employees. I've seen countless examples of Koch bending over backwards for people and their personal lives - illnesses, death in family, natural disaster, raising funds, charity work. It's really incredible.

Open door policy - I have zero doubt that, right now, I could walk into Mr. Koch's office with a concern or idea and he would welcome me with a huge smile. Management here is so receptive and so kind. It's very humbling.

Cons

Very few.

As I read through "cons" on Glassdoor, it's a shame to think that candidates may read them and presume the cons apply to Koch Industries overall. Koch has more than 100k employees, in hundreds of offices throughout the world. Most complaints seem pretty specific to one group or one disgruntled employee. If you're here more than a few months, chances are the problem will self-resolve. I've had more than a dozen bosses during my time here. Some were better than others, but none were terrible. HR and Compliance are extremely receptive to concerns and will shift things as needed.

Koch Industries Response

Dec 12, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. You are right that we absolutely value feedback from our employees, so thank you for sharing yours! Continue to foster all the pieces that ... More

"Small Company, Small Minded with It's Own Personal 10 Commandments"

Current Employee - IT Staff in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Staff in Atlanta, GA

Pros

If you are in the Corporate Headquarters town of Wichita, KS, you have made it when you work for Koch. There aren't that many corporations there and only one other with any size as the predominant area industry, the small aircraft manufacturing business, has steadily declined.

Cons

Some companies will say "Employees are our Company", not Koch. No "Culture is our Company" rules at Koch and it's in the form of the Koch version of the 10 Commandments. In fact, they have been known to call employees at home without warning and ask them questions such as "Which one of our principles do you feel is the most important?", etc. On a Saturday night, at your home no less.

Advice to Management

It's hard to offer Management any advice since embracing those 10 Commandments is the path to Enlightenment, or in this case, Advancement. Hold on to your little piece of the pie. They say they embrace cultural diversity, perhaps Title VII, yes. For those in Atlanta, those in Wichita can't tolerate the flexible hours that the minimum 12 hour workday commute requires, nor are they very tolerant of work hours that differ from the hours at Corporate HQ.

"Join the cult, or leave."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

KBS seems to be a stable company that is backed by the financial power of the Koch family. Most of the employees are friendly and respectful to other co-workers and non-management level employees want the same thing for the company and it's customers.

Cons

KBS puts entirely too much emphasis on corporate culture and compliance training while other far more important decisions seem to fall to the wayside. Hardware, operating systems and software are hopelessly out of date with no clear road map of when and how they will be upgraded or replaced. Web based compliance training takes up huge portions of everyone's time and offers very little value in return. All training must also be repeated yearly with no exceptions. Pay raises not considered unless you are promoted and it isn't clear what an employee must do for merit increases. Bargain hard when you go in because you will not be getting a raise during your tenure.

Advice to Management

Have a backbone and make some real decisions based on the needs of your customers and the technology available in the marketplace. Stop focusing on pointless flavor of the week management styles and listen to the technical expertise of the employees you pay for.

"Glad to be gone"

Current Employee - KOCH Good, KBS Bad in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - KOCH Good, KBS Bad in Wichita, KS

Pros

If you can get a job at one of the other KOCH companies things get better, good. Overall KOCH is a good place to work, KBS is not the place to be.

Cons

Its a shared service group that claims that it wants to be top notch, but in the end all they care about is getting by on the cheap and the backs of the workers. Command and control, do as your told, don't think out loud, tow the company line. If the sky is blue, you better say its green if thats what the boss says or your out. They preach their 10 principles, but no one in leadership roles follow them. Its basically all about keeping costs down and making sure the top leaders get the bonuses. Leaders claim they follow the 10 principles, but don't, you practice the do as I say or else mgmt model. They claim to want to follow the law (written or its intent), rules but only when it keeps doesn't impact their bonus.

Advice to Management

I can not believe Mr. Koch allows you to stay.....

"Only focus: make money at all costs. Company ignores ethics and compliance since penalty if caught is lower than profit"

Former Employee - Human Resources Information Systems in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Information Systems in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you happen upon a great idea and protect and merchandise as to get credit, you can expect a sizable bonus once the gain is realized.

Cons

Do not expect salary increases outside of promotions and bonuses. Good reviews are not rewarded with salary growth. Even cost-of-living increases are ignored. The philosophy of the company is to reward based on realized value an employee has achieved for the company only.

Expect to be worked to the bone, even if more efficient processes can be created. In one case an a salaried accounting group would regularly work on weekends at a mill location to complete required managerial reports. A report solution was estimated to cost $8000 and save approximately 48 weekend overtime hours of the "salaried" employees time per month. The decision was made to reject the investment since the employees were salaried and were coming in without pay anyway.

Expect a cut-throat environment in which every employee and department is fighting for ideas and service opportunities to survive. The group that "wins" the business opportunity is rewarded and survives even if the idea is stolen from another group. As such, groups often befriend other groups and individuals to "spy" and gain project ideas. Whoever presents the idea the best and the fastest wins. Be ready for a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

Advice to Management

KBS is missing so many opportunities for real innovation and profit. Great ideas that drive revenue and cut cost don't always come from the loudest employee or group carrying the biggest sword. Find a way to rediscover innovation and opportunity and to reject the environment that is occurring at 55 Park Place in Atlanta. Competitors without the cut-throat mentality are quickly catching up and will surpass you in revenue efficiency.

"Extremely Closed Minded - Bogus "Guiding Principles" - Fake Fake Fake"

Current Employee - General IT - Will Not Confirm Department in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - General IT - Will Not Confirm Department in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Big Company, opportunity for advancement is always available, a lot of networking capability

Cons

Extremely closed minded
    Management expects employees to live by the Guiding Principles (which by the way are nothing more than common sense) but management does not practice these NEARLY as much
    Favoritism is an EXTREMELY big issue here
    Micromanaged beyong any other employer out there.
    Political views are forced onto employees.
    Very Unethical
    Cult Like
    DO NOT GIVE ANY RAISES!! Their "philosophy" on compensation is very out of touch with the real world.

Advice to Management

Stop being two-faced and stop micro-managing every aspect. Also, give your employees props instead of folding when senior management questions why you want to give them more money.

8. "Company with lot of potential but no vision"

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Is a good company if focused in right direction . Vision that helps the growth.

Cons

Every person , department and every Koch company works in Silos. Leaders don't like to speak .

Advice to Management

Learn people as Asset . No Trust on employees will make life of employee smaller in organization .

"I made a BIG mistake accepting this offer"

Current Employee - Employee Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Employee Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

initial salary GP/Koch Industries
    company recognition

Cons

no salary increase in 3 years
    poor communication from middle and upper managment
    morale/co-workers attitudes
    workload/ work life balance

Advice to Management

Invest in employees. Your interviewing process yields top talent but the work enviorment will not retain them. Be clear about the role and expectations of the role. I feel that the position I was recruiter for did not exist. Salariy increase should be given when the value added not years later.

"Worst place I have ever worked at."

I have been working at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of perks for employees. Cafeteria, dry cleaning, discounts, etc.

Cons

I was treated like they did not want me there due to a change in management after I was hired. Training was horrible, different staff members trained me the certain way they did things so when someone else checked my work they would ask, "Why did you do it this way?" What made it worse was that the people who trained me wouldn't say anything knowing they showed me the wrong way to do something.

Advice to Management

I spent a lot of time correcting managements mistakes, however, they acted like I was the one who made them.

"Koch brothers bought G/P and changed many things at its Huntsville Al. facility."

Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Second Helper in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Koch Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The corrugated box manufacturing plant was a terrible work environment when I began the job. I needed a paycheck so that is why I stayed for six months with perfect attendance before leaving.

Cons

When Koch bros. bought G/P it got worse. My job title and many other employees was deleted, which dropped my pay and piled on more duties and responsibilities. If you work for any of their divisions, I warn you. They don't care about the amount of service and years you may have worked for them, in fact, it could cost you your job. I saw many with 20 plus yrs. lose their jobs costing them retirement benefits.

Advice to Management

I am the little guy and would not expect the management to listen to an underappreciated former employee. Thanks for leaving this bad taste in my mouth for G/P, Koch Industries and all products produced by the company.