Kofax Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kofax CEO and Director Reynolds C. Bish
Reynolds C. Bish

Pros
  • Good people in the trenches working (in 10 reviews)

• Really good working environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management are dogmatic in their US-centricity, to the detriment of other regions (in 9 reviews)

• The Kofax management team is not putting their employees first (in 7 reviews)

"Don't believe everything you read here from a few disgruntled whiners resistant to change and stuck in the status quo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been employed at Kofax for 11 years (and no I'm not a rose colored glasses recruiter with an agenda, but I do feel inclined to set the record straight a bit after seeing some one sided posts). If you want to see a tight and well run company then I'd say Kofax is an interesting case study and its given me a path for career growth and maturity along the way that will help me perform well and see through the useless, and wasteful practices some other company's employ elsewhere. What I like most about Kofax is the people I work with. There are some solid down to earth people that dwell in the trenches every day and find satisfaction in what they do and don't let other adolescent naysayers weigh them down (which exist probably at every company to some extent -wasn't high school like 20+ years go, people?).

Cons

Management can sometimes be misunderstood primarily by employees less familiar and newer to Kofax business practices that have become comfortable in less ambitious companies they worked for in the past and don't want to change, or are used to doing things that don't make sound business sense. Those that are at the nerve center of the company get it though, and others sometimes don't understand that management is ambitious and aggressive but generally has a good reason for doing what they are doing (though sometimes not good at helping others understand their reasons is probably primary fault could improve on). The company is not perfect and mistakes have been made along the way, but I'm encouraged by recent course correction and direction that management is taking to retain talent. If you like to hide in an overly bloated department of people that creates busywork fluff to do everyday rather than adding real business value than Kofax is probably not the place for you (you'll get discovered eventually, though sometimes it takes longer than it should).

Advice to Management

Get out from under the current headwinds and put laser focus on on building what is a broad portfolio of products with lots of opportunity for continued growth. Dust off the vision and direction a bit, and built a trajectory from a strong foundation that has been built out of all those years of driving strong shareholder value as a publicly traded company that was under the microscope and naturally became an interesting acquisition target to Lexmark. Slow down a little bit to make sure employees understand they are valued and so everyone can jump on board to row together in the same direction to ensure mutual success.

"Going From Great to Average"

Current Employee - Healthcare in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Healthcare in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I haven't noticed any "Pros" as we transition to Kofax from Perceptive Software. It appears to be just an average company that focuses on the bottom line and not employee moral or motivation.

Cons

The CEO is very conceited. To quote him when asked if he was worried about a new Private Equity firm removing the ELT... "We are the most valuable aspect of the company". Previously with Perceptive, the employees were considered one of the most valuable aspects of the company. There will be a lot of negativity, primarily because we went from a great and fun place to work... to just some average company. There is a high rate of turnover. Some of the Sectors are going to struggle, specifically with Healthcare. The HC sales teams have been depleted and Growth will probably come to a halt and take several years to recover.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining the talent we have. Focus on attracting Great talent. We take some great benefits such a "unlimited vacation". These are the types of things that will get you the BEST talent. These are the types of things that will get you growth. Its important to focus on the bottom line, but you have to realize that items such as "unlimited vacation" really don't cost you on the bottom line.

Polish your message to employees. Don't invite them to leave. The only vision I've seen is layoffs and more work for the remaining staff. Don't tell the employees their new benefit packages have some improvements but can't seem to give any examples of those improvements. Understand that the negativity derives from a talented and productive group going from Great to just Average.

"Kofax, the new normal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Coworkers
    * Lenexa Office
    * The software we utilize does in fact help out business processes, so seeing the software that we do have makes my day feel complete as I get the enjoyment of building out software and configuring it to the business need of the client
    * Most people in the Lenexa office are technical so it it nice to have that base, you never feel alone when it comes to a project as your "team" is there to help you through the solution.

Cons

* Healthcare benefits are sub par. Since re-branding to Kofax, from Lexmark Enterprise Software healthcare costs have gone up.
    * Merit increases are slim to none and with all of these additional costs rising, it's making the salary seem very very unacceptable.
    * The Kofax management team is not putting their employees first. We're on the sidelines basically awaiting the takeover to complete.
    * Unlimited PTO is no longer. The work/life balance as it was once known is obliterated.

Advice to Management

I suggest the C level execs start listening to their employees otherwise there will no longer be a Kofax, Inc, as it will be buried into the ground.

Get fresh new faces in those C level positions that are looking out for their employees instead of striping away their benefits

"Great people, fast-paced, changing environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Talented, intelligent, committed people
    - Great pay
    - Opportunity to make a difference

Cons

- Authoritarian executive management style, promotes CYA attitudes
    - M&A strategic approach for technical innovation, causes systemic disruption and upheaval
    - Do not promote from within

Advice to Management

- Prioritize business initiatives to avoid burnout
    - Adopt more collaborative work practices
    - Lead more, manage less
    - Promote from within

"Worst experience in my 25 year IT Sales Career"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Kofax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Previous fat client Generations of Kofax Capture and Extraction were market leaders, and are still available for sale. Those earlier versions, Kofax Analytics, and Kofax Robotic Process Automation, keep the lights on for Kofax today, even thought they are siloed and non-integrated offerings. Sales Salaries are generally a little higher here than at other mid sized software companies.

Cons

THE COMPANY IS FOR SALE (AGAIN): Reynolds Bish (CEO) manipulates the company's direction to leverage himself into more and more stock while doing nothing to grow revenues. He personally maintains a significant shareholder position, and so that every time he sells the failing (but entrenched) company, he makes millions. $3.5B Lexmark foolishly over leveraged themselves to buy Kofax for $1B in 2015, and Bish saw his opportunity, by blocking all investment in SW innovation, and integration with Lexmark, to force his Parent to sell Lexmark to a Chinese Consortium (Apex/PAG) in late 2016. In the process, Riffed over 1000, while making himself millions in this latest sale. And It get's worse for the employees that remain... because CFIUS (The Committee on Foreign Investment in the US) has forced the Chinese to divest itself of the SW entity, so Kofax is for sale again setting Bish up for another big stock take. This is the stuff you read about, High Finance where the rich get richer by taking advantage of employees. My team lost all but the smallest "additional capacity" deals they were working on because of the Kofax' revolving ownership problems, and the uncertainty associated with the next sale of the company by the Chinese.
    THE FLAGSHIP PRODUCT (Total Agility) DOESNT WORK: When Kofax moved from a their earlier Fat Client Architecture, to Thin Client (as the market demands), the product stopped working at scale. One of the nations largest Insurance companies, at least 2 of the largest global financial companies, and the largest US gaming and resort company, are all suing Kofax for breach of contract due to product failure. While they advertise that they do, they have no SaaS solution. This because Bish gets to recognize SaaS revenues ratably over time, where Perpetual Licenses pay Bish "Up-Front" - if you do sell a SaaS deal, expect the company to take the business, but don't expect to be paid commissions.
    EXPECT TO HAVE (even perpetual) COMMISSIONS WITHELD and/or REFUSED. Bish regularly manipulates and changes territories and accounts to limit the commissions that he has to pay, especially when it comes to "big deals". If that territory manipulation doesn't work, he will simply refuse to pay commissions. My team and I sold the largest two deals in the company's history, and I had to beg to get paid on the first, and was paid less than half of the commissions owed on the second. If you're a true salesperson, you will be frustrated to no end here. If you're a B/C Player and you can live on your salary, this could be the place for you. You will have to endure lots of "beatings" and grilling around your sales cycles, while getting no value from the managers who do it, but if you can live on your salary you can work here forever - they can't fire you because they can't replace you. I tried for 2 years to build a full team, but saw almost no resumes from recruiting. Kofax also advertises Mobile functionality, but has 2 sales people/overlays for the entire US, and is simply selling Capture and Extraction in their SDK, which doesn't work well, and leaves integration to back end systems to their customers.

Advice to Management

Until Bish is out of the picture, this company is going nowhere; everyone is simply lining Bish's pockets and setting him up for his next big sale of the company. Get a new CEO, and New Sr. Sales Managment. Develop a true SaaS offering, the technology is perfect for it and the market wants it. Learn to leverage your existing renewal base. Fix Total Agility (the thin client version of their leading Capture and Extraction technology).

"Good people, okay executives"

Current Employee - Global Sales Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Global Sales Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

The majority of people I come into contact with on a daily basis are great people, who are committed to working hard for their customers, partners and each other. They are smart and talented and good at what they do. The product suite is very powerful and capable.

Cons

The product suite is very difficult for any one person to appreciate and position. This makes it difficult to position the value proposition and to train employees on how to properly position it. I believe in the platform, but I see many challenges in its implementation.

Although my manager and the next level up is excellent, there is a lack of support from the rest of the management team.

Advice to Management

Work earnestly to consolidate as many of the products as possible and invest on reworking the marketing and positioning of the products. Work to simplify the messaging and improve internal (and external) training programs.

"The Worst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing positive to include. Don't work here. Good companies interested in buying, please step up. The team here can't take much more.

Cons

A long list but the leadership is only interested in personal gain. Employees are dead last in things the company finds important. Investors who are looking at purchasing the company, some advice -- remove the entire executive management team who are set on running the company the same way they did years ago - no accounting for how things have evolved over the years. Management at all levels are not responsive. It's becoming more difficult each day to contribute to knowing the only person who will benefit from whatever happens to this company is the CEO.

Advice to Management

People are one of your biggest assets, quit treating them so terribly. They are not disposable. There's more than one right way to do things - be open to innovation and listen to employees who have good ideas. It shouldn't be all about finding ways to please the CEO, who is inflexible and classless.

"leadership needs improvement"

Current Employee - Enterprise Software Sales Executive in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Software Sales Executive in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Kofax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products
    Good benefits
    Good people
    Good camaraderie with some very good line managers, good coverage of the market and good training

Cons

No vision
    Stuck in past business model
    Downsizing to align headcount with lower revenues

Advice to Management

Need to have a strategy 5 years out, quarter to quarter sales do not produce lasting results. Need to value people and retain talent, especially product specialist. Need to keep upgrading the software to remain relevant and competitive

"Not Good place for fresher"

Current Employee - User Experience & UI Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience & UI Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Kofax (More than a year)

Pros

Need more invention in work

Cons

Very limited work no space to learn new things.

11. "Technical Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kofax full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High Tech environment, competitive salaries, good fringe benefits. Relaxed working environment

Cons

Open cubicles. Sometimes distraction from walking employees or visitors may distract.