Kohl's Reviews in Louisville, KY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
Cons
  • very challenging to have a work/life balance (in 203 reviews)

• Only could get the max hours if you got customers to open up a store credit card (in 299 reviews)

"Ship From Store Supervisor"

Former Employee - Ship From Store Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Ship From Store Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kohl's (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of customer interaction. Somewhat flexible hours. Kind of a fun position because you basically get to shop for customers.

Cons

Workload was feast or famine. During a holiday there was way too much work for the amount of people we had, but most of the time there was enough work for a few hours. I hear that this can vary from store to store. Kohl's in general has problems with its smaller stores, not giving them the support they need to succeed.

Advice to Management

Struggling stores should not be punished with less payroll. Less employees mean more mess which means unhappy customers.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Cashier in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Louisville, KY

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy to get credit cards and there is an incentive, co workers are typically the best part of the job

Cons

No one stays working here due to management, scheduled outside of availability, hard to find someone to cover shifts, during the week very slow and you don't get paid enough. Was hired as a cashier and told I would be trained in other departments but took months for them to put me somewhere else

Advice to Management

Stop scheduling people outside their availability, and then be upset when they can't make it due to their full time job, and then decide to say you're just screwing them over and too lazy to be there.

"Just aweful"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My fellow co-workers are great people

Cons

Kohls is so cheap they refuse to hire enough people. The let customers get away with murder, forcing you to just smile and take it when someone is scamming you. Also the stores in Ky don't even follow Ky state labor laws!

Advice to Management

Just treat your employees with some respect! If your employees feel valued they will stick with you through thick and thin

"Good company, BAD BENEFITS!"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company supports loss prevention and for the most part our job is made easy.

Cons

DVR and camera technical issues fall in the lap of the Lp to fix and replace. NO VACATION OR SICK TIME OR PTO until after ONE YEAR!

Advice to Management

Give PTO like every other company does!

6. "my review"

Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Louisville, KY

Pros

This job is good opportunity for inexperienced people as a start up job and without much obligation, responsibility and progress.

Cons

The company though with standards and systems in place does not make use of it properly thus resulting in repetitive problems.

Advice to Management

Make use of the systems in place properly to make it useful and avoid redundancies. Your company performance audit system does not reflect the true company situation therefore real improvements won't materialize.

7. "Kohls"

Current Employee - POS Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - POS Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule most of the time
    great people to work with

Cons

starting pay is $8 per hour

Advice to Management

increase pay

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time

Pros

Pretty good about giving requested days off, work environment is engaging.

Cons

Pay is okay
    Frequently short on staff, so work load can become stressful

Advice to Management

At the location I work at management is great

9. "Too much work for not enough money"

Current Employee - MMJ Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - MMJ Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, the discount is really, really nice at times, if you wait until certain days it can be down right amazing.

Cons

1) Kohl's expects their employees to stay content when apparently they are hiring people starting pay of more than some of our supervisors make. Apparently if we were already employed, no pay bump will be given, because that's how much Kohl's values its associates. Of course it's today's world of trying to pay as little as possible and receive as much as possible from employees, but people walking in the door making more than people who have worked hard and stuck around, or even supervisors, that's a slap in the face. If you really claim to value your employees, THEN PROVE IT.

Work life balance strictly means that full time people won't go over 40 hours because Kohl's doesn't want to pay overtime. Don't be surprised when our score is really low bad for availability of help from an associate on the floor. When you put every single one of your people on the register for hours, customers can't get help on the floor. Waiting in line sucks, it really does. But what sucks even more is not being able to do your job because the company doesn't want to pay a few extra people minimum wage to cashier.

Advice to Management

Accountability for day shift. They can just leave at their scheduled time whereas closers are stuck, in some cases, staying until whatever they didn't get done gets done. Pay attention to how hard your people work before saying something to them. It makes them feel undervalued. No need to micromanage IF your people are doing their jobs. Supervisors should never close. They have their own tasks to accomplish, and they cannot do that while trying to close the store. We can barely get our departments done without extra tasks to do. It's not fair to them, or to the other people stuck closing with them.

"Supervisor/Associate"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice co-workers & management, chances for overtime during Holiday season, lots of food/associate appreciation days, leave all work at the office, low stress, not high demanding

Cons

The paycheck sucks! Definitely on the lower end of the retail pay scale, not a good chance to promote to management, not that good of benefits, not much help in departments

Advice to Management

Allow better employee input, have a better pay system compared to other stores, need more help, allow better chance for advancement

11. "warehouse or sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with customers and meeting new people

Cons

Not satisfying a customer and making a sale

Advice to Management

Catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar.

Showing 22 of 6,286 reviews