Kohl's Point of Sale Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
Cons
  • very challenging to have a work/life balance (in 208 reviews)

• Have to push customers to open a credit card (as a POS associate) (in 308 reviews)

1. "Fast Paced and a Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Point of Sale Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Point of Sale Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I love my relationship within the store. We tend to act as a large family, all supporting each other and helping whenever possible. In muy case, my hard-work was rewarded with a promotion and slight raise.

Cons

The Compensation at the lower levels is poor. The job is fast paced and sometimes the extended hours especially during holiday times, can put a strain on work -life balance if you also maintain another job.

Advice to Management

Credit acquisition is important, but don't punish the employees for not hitting every goal.

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None. Pay Sucks. 0 Benefits, 0 Work/Life Balance, 0 Opportunity - RUN.

Cons

Stressful environment, Horrible Management, Very low probability for upward movement, Long nights, Very low employee moral, Horrible customers.

As for retail environments - this is the worst that I have worked at. The pay is very low compared to other retailers. The management doesn't really bother to lead. There is almost no upward mobility in this company - especially since they continue to downsize their management staff. Over the course of 8 years, I saw them eliminate a management position, an area supervisor position, and a store department supervisor position. Department supervisors are the only full-time associates - there aren't any associates allowed to be full time other than dept supervisors. They also have a dumb rule about no more than 6 associates working the floor at any one time, which puts strain on the associates working.

After leaving the company - they rolled over my 401k I had been saving up to probably the worst company that I have ever dealt with in investments. The fees are crazy high, and there's no real advisor to talk with - just someone working in most likely a Philippines call center for a couple bucks a day which is horrible to be contributing to the oppression of the third world just to save a couple bucks.

All around I'd say the business practices of the company are horrible. They pay the least out of any retailer available - and offer the lowest discount. They allow customers all kinds of discounts and the ability to return anything - anything (Yes, I've been FORCED to return USED underwear). They make their money out of credit card interest rates so they push you to force cards on your customers because there are minimum goals - usually of around 20-40 credit apps a day that they have. This makes up for the loss of profits on the stuff they sell. Over time they've changed their policies to not allow certain coupons, etc - which proves they're losing money as a company.

I promise you - after working Retail for 15 years - THERE ARE MUCH BETTER RETAIL COMPANIES. There are retail companies that offer part time benefits and those that also pay more than minimum wage. Kohl's starts at minimum wage with 0-3% pay increases IF you get an exceeds expectation review. The average raise is 0-1%.

Advice to Management

No real advice - when you run a discount retailer you get what you pay for. They aren't going to change, they're the Walmart of Clothing companies.

3. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate, POS Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Point of Sale Associate, POS Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, interesting people
    Mostly stress-free
    Lots of customer interaction
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Not many hours
    Very low pay
    Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

More hours to those that actually show up for work
    Less hours to those that constantly call out or simply no-show
    MORE PAY would be super!

5. "POS Specialist @ Kohls"

Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Petaluma, CA
    Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Petaluma, CA

Pros

Decent job with good benefits and pay. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Keeping people who do not perform their job duties well.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

6. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist in Dayton, OH

Pros

Love the people I work with, managers are great people and the associates do their best to enjoy their work

Cons

A lot of gossip is exchanged, store manager avoids confrontations, customers are so annoying

Advice to Management

Take charge, assume other's duties if they're not willing to do it

7. "Sales Specialist Kohl's"

Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of freedom to take care of the customer and to complete your work in a way you feel is best. Great team of associates to work with.Fast paced environment.

Cons

Low pay and often the amount of work expected with the amount of payroll allowed is beyond unrealistic.

8. "Kohls"

Current Employee - Point of Sales Specialist

Pros

Great co-workers, good retail training

Cons

Not enough room to grow