Kohl's Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kohl's Chairman, President & CEO Kevin B. Mansell
Kevin B. Mansell

Pros
Cons
  • very challenging to have a work/life balance (in 208 reviews)

• Have to push customers to open a credit card (as a POS associate) (in 308 reviews)

1. "Don't work for Romeoville Kohl's"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romeoville, IL

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have no pros working here just anguish and anxiety

Cons

Under appreciated, very racist environment, noone to talk to about executive managers , very biased , if you call the integrity hotline they do nothing to help. Over look long time hard workers and give promotions to only people they are personal friends with. Only acknowledges the area supervisors and not the leads for doing all the hard work.

Advice to Management

Please don't bring your personal life to work. Award workers based on performance not personal feelings.Do not be unprofessional and disregard associates who are speaking to you respectfully.

2. "Don't work here"

Former Employee - Intimates and Accessories Specialist in Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Intimates and Accessories Specialist in Victor, NY

I worked at Kohl's (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job and they pay you money.

Cons

Hours are crap, no benefits really, negative work atmosphere, don't care about work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and realize that your employees have a life outside of work.

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Store discounts, some flexibility in scheduling

Cons

Low-pay; received excellent job review followed by a 13cent, as $0.13, pay raise. Worst part was always, always, always, pushing people to takeout credit cards. Very little training because employeees usually quit after a short time.

Advice to Management

Get serious about salaries if you want to retain good people. Stop harranging customers to sign up for credit cards.

5. "It's not worth it..."

Current Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great during the holidays, you stay busy.

Cons

Feb-Oct is a drag, no one wants to be there. They're constantly changing and redoing policies and don't notify or educate the employees until it becomes a problem. Very unorganized.

6. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Principal in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Shopping discount at online and store

Cons

No work life balance. No innovation.

7. "Emotional Abuse is standard culture."

Former Employee - Textile Designer in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Textile Designer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and salary. Maternity leave and having children is one of the reasons people choose to work there.

Cons

They will use benefits and salary as reason why you should be thankful you work there. Emotional abuse and discrimination in the form of favoritism.

I can personally be a witness to 7 people who would cry in the bathroom everyday because of emotional abuse from managers. The current manager consistently causes people to cry at every single 'touch base'. Discrimination in the form of favoritism, which means if you are a favorite, you can choose your position and still have a job even if you fail at that position. There is 1 specific person who was able to choose to be a Senior Artist, then Manager, then failed so she was able to choose to be an Advanced Artist. Its really great to be a favorite. You don't actually have to be good at what you do.

You will do your best and work your hardest and unfortunately, that will not be enough. Even if you are the greatest artist. You will need to be a favorite for it to work for you. There are people who do their least amount of effort and still be a shining star. You will be picked on and emotionally torn down until you have to leave to keep your dignity. In the years I was there, only 1 person was fired and allowed to file for unemployment. Everyone else (I can count up to 7 people) had to quit to keep their sanity and their dignity. It may sound nice in the first year or 2 but you will see how hard it is for everyone to stay afloat because its the only job in the whole state you can get. Its a cheap place for real estate and cost of living, its why the corporation is there.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice to give. There is a new manager over the art team every other year. And a new SVP and VP of Art and Design every 2 years. I didn't have a manager for 2 years and no one could give me a proper review. The advice HR had was, "We hope you have a manager soon."

Emotional abuse is a terrible way to make your employees do their jobs.
    Discrimination is a terrible technique to push someone to leave the department.

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Manassas, VA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were no pros to working at Kohl's. None whatsoever.

Cons

Management was horrible and never worked with associates on day to day activities,

Advice to Management

Everything they are currently doing......do the exact opposite. Horrible experience working at Kohl's. Condescending and lying about following principles of the company.

9. "Hated it. I wasn't properly trained nor prepared for the pos position."

Former Employee - POS Associate/Cashier in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - POS Associate/Cashier in Irvine, CA

I worked at Kohl's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working twice a week because I was eager to stay far way as possible from the store. I like their hiring process. Schedulers are posted in binder located in break room. All returns go to customer service which is great for anyone working the register.

Cons

Eight hours a week will not pay the bills, Lack of training, Selling Credit cards, Understaffed on register and floor.

Advice to Management

Better training
    More staff on floor and registers
    Customers shouldn't be allowed to pay credit cards off at a physical location. They need to do it via phone or online, ONLY.
    Stop selling credit
    Allow more availability when choosing an orientation or Interview date.

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really nice people to work with. Great discount and savings.

Cons

Working with manager drew can be bad. He has hate towards a few employee's and I don't think anyone has done anything to him!

Advice to Management

My honest opinion he is not a bad person but can make certain employees including myself very bad. Working with him is a nightmare!

11. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts clothing pay raise possibly

Cons

Misunderstand position don't feel valued

Advice to Management

What management don't know who's running things rt now

Showing 699 of 6,413 reviews