Kohl's Reviews | Glassdoor

2,519 Ratings

6,885 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance has decreased over the years in PD specifically (in 223 reviews)

• Push credit card applications was not fun (in 335 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"We're doing some pretty cool things"

Pros

-Trying to innovate in all areas from Product to Technology to HR
    -Getting leadership from different industries and not just sticking to traditional department store background
    -Focus on Associates and Teams as a main pillar for success
    -Fun Perks

Cons

-Still a traditional cubicle environment in many areas of the building

2. "Great Experience at Kohl's"

Current Employee - District Sales Auditor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - District Sales Auditor in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I've only been there a short time, but the overall treatment of their employees is what impresses me the most. I have been working for retail companies for over 10 years and I have never experienced the level of respect, understanding and caring that I have experienced while working for Kohl's. I never feel lower than anyone and when working with those in positions above me, I always feel that they are trying to develop me and help me to grow within the company. I have never had a situation where I felt that I was misled or given just enough information to get my job done. I've always found that I was provided with all the information necessary and in most cases, additional information, so that I could be as informed as possible in performing my job.

Cons

For me, the only downsides of working at Kohl's is the commute that I have and the lack of parking on some days. The commute is something that is completely within my control. As for the parking, it is understandable due to the amount of growth that we have at the Corporate office, but I really hope that there is a solution in the works that can help to solve it.

Advice to Management

I would simply advise to continue treating your employees as the backbone of your company and remember that even though our customers help us reach our goals, it is the hard work of all the employees that get us there.

"EXPECT GREAT THINGS!!!!"

Current Employee - HR/Operations Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - HR/Operations Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Kohl's is very family oriented with policies written to make sure that there is no abuse. Compared to other retailers Kohl's works to make a work life balance that actually leans on the side of the employees and management. Kohl's has a great training program that help's develop not only managers, but all employees.

Cons

As with any retailer, holidays are always a tough time to work. More hours and days. Promotions are sometimes too political, but that happens with all companies, especially as they grow. Too many management people hired from out side the company, there is so much talent and knowledge in the current stores that we could do more to help our employees grow.

Advice to Management

Keep us on the right track.

4. "If you want to be on a winning team, be part of the Kohl's team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

I like the friendly and happy atmosphere. The people I work with are some of the best I've ever encountered. The discounts are great and they provide health benefits for both full and part time associates, both which provide good coverage.

Cons

You have to be available to work nights and weekends, and you will never have a holiday off except for Thanksgiving day and Christmas day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work, I love where your taking the company. And you will lead Kohl's to the TOP!

"Strong company with a strong outlook"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Kohl's gives back to the communities in which they are present and as a member of the company you play a first hand role in giving back to local organizations and charities.

3 weeks paid vacation in your first year, 6 paid holidays.

The company continues to grow while other retailers scale back- particularly rival department store chains such as Macy's and Bon-Ton. Although scaled back from previous years there are still plans to open over 25 new stores in 2009 and continued remodels of exhisting stores.

Kohl's will have a presence in 49 states with the opening of locations in Alaska in 2009 and have over 1,000 stores nationwide and are continuing to grow.

Projections for growth on the west course are high, particularly in the California market.

Cons

It is retail so there are long hours and 6 days per week from Thanksgiving through Christmas. However, you are compensated for those extra 5 days (1 day per week) by being given 5 extra vacation days the following year. Typical hours worked in a week will be 40-45 during non-peak times but can easily reach 70 hours a week during the busy times.

In all honesty it is a company you feel good about working for and are excited to go to work. If you can handle the ever changing hours (days then nights, weekends etc) that are present in any retailer, Kohl's is a place you can feel comfortable having a career and looking forward to growing.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and enter new markets, capitalizing on the layoffs and closings of competitors.

6. "I Love Kohl's"

Current Employee - AA Area Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - AA Area Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Personal and professional growth. It is boundless depending on what I want. I have been with Kohl's for just over a year and I have promoted three times and I know I will continue to grow. I plan on spending the remainder of my working days with Kohl's. I have done many things in my life and Kohl's is exciting, fun and rewarding. It is great working with a diverse group of people on a daily basis and watching them develop and grow as I have. Promoting from within is the key to keeping associates happy and Kohl's does that.

Cons

It is retail. The pay can be low and the holidays are hard but I love all of it. I believe in rewarding associates and the best way to do this is to pay them well. I know that it is retail, but I do think that the associates do deserve more. The work can feel thank less at times - especially during the holidays. When we don't pay our associates are not paid enough, we have high attrition and that can be hard on the remaining associates and the store itself. I love the hours - I would probably work for free.

Advice to Management

I would have to say, consider paying your part-time associates more - they work very, very hard and deserve more pay. Perhaps a holiday bonus would make a difference in many lives of the associates.

7. "Kohl's for personal growth"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Kohl's gives the employee a great opportunity for career growth. Not only that but you are proud of the work you do and the contribution you are making to the store. With many new stores opening you are given the opportunity to really feel like it is your store and you helped to make it what it is.

Cons

Lots and lots of hard work. Management does not always tell the employees they are doing a good job. I feel more feedback on job performance is necessary to keep employees motivated.

Advice to Management

Comment more on the job the employees are doing.

8. "GREAT place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Fun and exciting atmosphere to work in. There is never a dull moment on any given day. Always something to do.

Cons

Workload can be too much at times. Too much going on at the same time and usually not enough help to complete.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "Good company for a part time position."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Center, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn Center, MN

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule, friendly co-workers, team atmosphere, positive attitudes by most everyone that worked there.

Cons

Pay was not good enough to work there full time

Advice to Management

I think that store had very good management who cared about their people

10. "kohl's"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Service First focus
    Fast pace with lots of change
    Great associates and managers
    Authority to do make the right decisions for the customer and associates
    Good communication

Cons

More support and help for big workload projects
    More payroll to take care of pos and fitting rooms
    better internal career advancement program

Advice to Management

Understand that we need more hours to run the registers

Showing 6,885 of 7,073 reviews