Kohl's Reviews | Glassdoor

2,570 Ratings

7,019 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance has decreased over the years in PD specifically (in 228 reviews)

• Stressful to open a credit card (in 342 reviews)

"DO NOT WORK AT KOHLS"

Former Employee - Freight Associate, Ad Set, Nobody in Weatherford, TX
    Former Employee - Freight Associate, Ad Set, Nobody in Weatherford, TX

Pros

Not sure there are any good reasons.. All the other retailers in the area pay at least 8.00 per hr for associates with no experience.. I had over 20 years and was grouped right along with everyone else that had no experience at 7.00. I felt when I went to work for them that there was a definite chance for advancement by reading their corporate website.There was absolutely none.

Cons

They hired me knowing that I had 20 yrs of retail background but treated me like I had none.management was always right,rude,arrogant and received no training to do my job, only critism when i tried to do it without any training. I only saw a merchandising manual once in almost a year, and I was the one that sought it out. If you didnt fit into management "click" you were not ever going to promoted. I have seen upper management cuss, be rude without reason and throw merchandise on the floor when you didn't put it where they thought it should go.. even though they never bothered to tell you or train you were it went. It was most unorganized, cluster mess I have ever seen. I quickly realized that if this is this example they set for me that was not interested in trying to have a career there. Most management in this store had been there for the whole 3 years without being promoted which tells you alot.

Advice to Management

To open up there eyes and not let their management staff treat their employees in such a degrading way. It was always a swinging door as far as employees leaving, but the real reasons arent being addressed. I think the corporate offices would be firing all the management at this store if they were really aware of how employees are treated.Surely all stores arent ran in this manner.

"Working at Kohl's is very difficult, to say the least."

Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Merchandise Specialist in Las Cruces, NM

Pros

Kohl's is a nationally recognized company, but leadership at the local level seemed to be lacking. Benefit packages seem to be good.

Cons

Complete lack of training in specialty departments. Training for new employees at a new location was very poor to say the least. Training programs had practically no oversight and senior management really did not seem to care. It was just a "get out there and do it, we don't care how" attitude. Senior management called me at home frequently to criticize happenings while I was off duty.

Advice to Management

Make sure your associates are trained correctly. Show respect for people who really are trying their best to do a good job in a difficult situation.

"Kohl's is for those with no future to look forward too"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Murrieta, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Murrieta, CA

Pros

Most people will say the employee discount you receive on merchandise. My feeling was lack of management allowed for tasks that needed to be completed to get completed without the hassle of a manager over your shoulder bogging down your productivity.

Cons

If you think you are important, great, but don't expect praise or even recognition on tasks that you go out of you way to complete. And I am not talking about tasks you should do as taking pride in your store, I am talking about them making you stay for overtime to complete large tasks with fellow co-workers and not even getting a thank you after. Also because management is incoherent to what is going on, don't ask to be supported in making a decision on store policy or what is good in general, you will be left hung to dry because making that dollar is more important then your value as an employee.

Advice to Management

Advice would be invest more into your employees, walking into a store the employees are told to be happy but are completely dismal and depressed. And though share holders are important and number one, you should invest more into communities rather then become another department store or big box retailer coming in to suck people into dead end jobs. That three cents not given on a return per share each quarter or end of year will have a greater impact on the community and viability of same store sales in the long run. Look more long term investing rather then short term selling. And look at your growth plan, yes you still have a bunch of markets to open stores in, but I don't think it is wise to open new stores and propping up your profit sheets with more new store sells rather then same store sells in a year.

"Don't expect great things from this company...."

Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Richmond, KY

Pros

This company provides health, dental, and eye benefits, 401k benefits, and tuition reimbursement for both full and part-time employees, which is one of the best things the company has to offer. Not many companies offer benefits to their part-time workers, but Kohl's does. In addition, the employee discount is 10% off hardlines items (shoes, home goods, etc) and 15% off softlines (clothing, accessories). This may not sound like much, but these discounts are on top of sale prices and markdown prices, so it does add up. Scheduling is flexible if you are part-time.

Cons

Management is mediocre at best, and communication amongst the members of management, as well as communication between associates and management is unheard of. Management is full of empty promises that are never fufilled, and while there is plenty of room for advancement within each store, more often than not the promotions go to the most underqualified member of the team. While the jobs are simple and straightforward, training is overlooked. Employees are expected to follow "Kohl's Best Practices", but those rules and regulations are NEVER conveyed. Don't hold your breath if you desire praise or positive feedback for accomplishments or a job well-done. Good work is never rewarded. On the flip side, breaking the rules is never punished. You could kill someone and still keep your job. This is a lower-level retail job, so the types of people you get to work with are varied. The management is generally uneducated, and have limited job experience. While the company provides tuition reimbursement, management frowns upon anyone trying to further their education while they are employeed at the company (ironic?). Activites outside of work that might restrict your schedule--including family, school, or another job--are also frowned upon. This company is clueless about the meaning of work-life balance.

Advice to Management

I wish management would care about their associates. Take our ideas, complaints, and concerns seriously. Value others' time, and above all, COMMUNICATE with each other and with us to convey what needs to be done and why.

"Don't work for Kohl's unless you want to be stabbed in the back."

Former Employee - POS Specialist in Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - POS Specialist in Silverdale, WA

Pros

The pay is not to shabby and some of your fellow employees are pretty nice to work with. The quality of the merchandise is pretty good. Loved to shop there and the discount wasn't bad either. I loved working with some of the people there. My fellow POS Specialists were fun to be around and were very helpful when I got the promotion to their team. The store was always clean and bright and you couldn't beat the sales. Most of the Floor Supervisors were great fun to work with, especially the Loss prevention guys. I would work with any of them again.

Cons

The hours suck. Upper Management are idiots who don't know how to run the store. If you are looking for a job that will give you back what you put into it then this is not the job. Take it from someone who worked there and was accused of actions that they didn't do and was forced to quit but who had bent over backwards to get the job done and was always available when they called because they needed someone to cover a shift. Working at Kohl's can be fun but don't let them fool you into thinking they are your friends. They are just waiting to stab you in the back after they draw their last drop of blood out of you.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your asses before someone sues you for defamation of character.

6. "Expect nothing from Kohl's"

Former Employee - Department Specialist in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Department Specialist in El Paso, TX

Pros

Clean and pretty place to work. Generally good quality merchandise. Kohl's is a recognizable name in the industry. Many bargains in the ads bring customers in on a regular basis

Cons

Lack of training is a real downside of working at Kohl's. Expectations of associates are unrealistic when minimal training is provided. Good reviews completely dependent on number of credit applications accomplished per month. Customers get tired of being constantly harangued to apply for credit cards.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Encourage suggestions. Train, train, train. Do not expect the impossible of your team leaders and associates when they do not know what is expected of them. Too many really fine workers leave in frustration and tears because they are treated badly and pushed beyond normal endurance.

I participated in opening a new store in the area. None of the new store management team had worked for Kohl's in the past, and none had opened a new corporate retail store anywhere. Chaos reigned throughout the process of getting it open. EVERYONE was required to participate in working the warehouse regardless of what they were actually hired to do or any particular health issues. However, no one was told of this before hand. No one received any safety training, and as a result there were many potentially very dangerous situations during the receiving and stocking process.

Training was talked about, but the trainer did not follow through with actually checking that it was ever accomplished. Department specialists were not allowed to actually set up or stock their areas but were required to know each and every detail about everything when finally allowed to report to their specialty station.

In general, more people quit than tried to stick it out until things smoothed out. In addition, due to this website I learned that department specialists were paid about 30% less than the position paid in other areas due to the low economic status of this particular community.

7. "mixed review"

Current Employee - CFH Area Supervisor
    Current Employee - CFH Area Supervisor

Pros

part time associates did earn personal days and ESOP

Cons

did not care abjout employees or customers; Managers would always treat regular associates as if they were only there to take advantage of them; store systems would constantly change; it always felts as if the company was brand new and tried out every kind system to see if they worked.

Advice to Management

know that your employees are working there to obtain the goals you are

"More cons than you think"

Current Employee - POS Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - POS Associate in Sacramento, CA

Pros

It's a paying job, love my co-workers, sometimes rewarding especially with customers

Cons

Poor hours (4-20 hours Part Time). Always pushing for a Kohl's credit card. Managers are insensitive and rude; unwilling to hear you out. Always understaffed and disorganized. Managers expect you to do 2-4 jobs every shift. For the past few weeks, I have only worked two days of the week.

Advice to Management

Positive feedback is always appreciated and let up on the credit cards.

"'Great' is not the word they should use."

Current Employee - Associate in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Simi Valley, CA

Pros

It's a job. It's a pay check. Love my co workers. Love my customers.

Cons

The management team is to foucused on the ends and not the means. Credit expections are too high for location. Some methods of asking the custormers if they want to open credit that management has oked seems to much like bate and switch. Hours are cut to the point that there is no one to help the customers or keep the floor clean. What hours that are given are only given to those who perform well in credit.
    It seems management is almost setting up empolyee to fail with giveing more work than one can do in one shift.

Advice to Management

Stop holding back hours. Lighten up on credit.

"DON'T DO IT! (Overnight)"

Former Employee - Overnight Freight
    Former Employee - Overnight Freight

Pros

The only reason that is worth working there is that you can always get the vacation you need because they have no problem with not scheduling you.

Cons

Where can I start.. You are pretty much guaranteed to be part time with full time hours and as long as they need you, you could even work 6 days a week if you wanted sometimes, however scheduling is never steady and the next week if nothing is going on they wont schedule anyone except those guaranteed full time.

*It is too hit or miss if you have anything much more than a cell phone bill.*

Overnight unload is extremely hard faced paced work and the truck unload times are always very unrealistic for the size of the team. We would have 7-9 ppl and expected to unload a 53 foot trailer in little over two hours. Also if you can't get used to heavy lifting you never will. Management locks you in the building at night so you smokers are out of luck, but they don't tell you that in the interview.

Advice to Management

Positive feedback of any kind is more helpful than complaining to the supervisor about not reaching extremely unrealistic goals in an eight hour period. It is also impossible to accurately judge something you have never attempted. Just some food for thought.

Showing 7,019 of 7,221 reviews