Kohl's Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 21, 2017
1,027 reviews

1,027 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • very challenging to have a work/life balance (in 208 reviews)

• Have to push customers to open a credit card (as a POS associate) (in 308 reviews)

"Only focused on credit"

Former Employee - POS Associate in Rolla, MO
    Former Employee - POS Associate in Rolla, MO

I worked at Kohl's (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is good

Cons

Management allows customers to abuse staff

Advice to Management

Treat employees as people

2. "POS Associate"

Current Employee - POS Associate in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - POS Associate in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employee discounts, awesome coworkers, some good people in management.

Cons

Management don't listen to you if you ask for training in another department, they only care about credit applications, hourly wage STINKS. They say it's competitive but it's really not.

Advice to Management

Listen to your coworkers, show them more respect, GIVE THEM MORE THAN $8 HOURLY WAGE

3. "Ok place"

Former Employee - Cashier, Trainer, Customer Service, Ad Set Associate, Floor Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Kohl's (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy work, the shifts are not that long, they have multiple discount days for employees and the clearance discounts are nice

Cons

Not very good with scheduling around family like for parents. Likes to make you feel guilty about asking for days off. If you ask for a specific day off they'll cut you and schedule you the one day you requested off

5. "Great job. Management ruins it for everyone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salida, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salida, CA

I worked at Kohl's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great even with a family or if you're going to school.

Cons

Management has a blind eye to what they do.

Advice to Management

Management needs to listen to their employees, because they are the ones that know what is happening and can help turn that place around.

6. "Know What You're Getting Into"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Monroe, OH
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Monroe, OH

I worked at Kohl's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Decent salary for the employee level and actual work done.

-Solid Benefits plan and 401k.

-Good fit for someone with great people skills, who loves constantly talking to other people.

-Large company with good room for growth and transfers.

-Operations Supervisors enjoy 3 or 4 day weekends, except during peak season. Hourly associates have fairly flexible schedules. This means that, on actual work days, you won't be getting a whole lot done outside of work. But you have a longer weekend to really relax or enjoy yourself. Personally, I found this trade off was not worth it, but I can understand why other people would prefer it.

-Overall, and factoring in my cons below, I would say this would be a great job for someone who is wants a job without a lot of critical thinking, a lot of people time, and who can work 12-14 hour days back to back in exchange for more days completely off of work. While my experience with Kohl's was abysmal, and I regret taking the move to this company, I can understand why there are people who have been there for over a decade.

Cons

-Don't trust the glowing positive reviews of this place, that all seemed to populate in early May. These aren't legitimate or honest.

-I was told by a long time veteran of Kohls that 'this building is where careers go to die'. While I don't think it was quite that bad, it was not a great place to work by any measure.

-You will be expected to be in the building and working an hour before your assigned shift as a supervisor, and can plan on staying 30 minutes to 1 hour after the shift is over. These hours are not mentioned during the hiring process, either by HR or the recruiter. For example the 6am-4pm shift is much closer to a 5am-5pm shift.

-Peak season I was told would be 5 10 hour days, or that everyone works 4 12 hour days. Nobody seemed to know. Nobody also seemed to know the management turnover rate, which is pretty high, probably close to 50% annually.. After hiring on, I was told to expect 5 14 hour days. I don't necessarily mind working long hours, but when you are on salary and suddenly find your work schedule will be 20-33% longer than advertised, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

-Not a very positive emphasis on building a team environment, very cliquey, felt a lot like high school. Managers are so scared of being punished for minute failures, that they struggle to help each other out for fear of it falling back on them. This in turn generates a lot of passive aggressive behavior, which nobody benefits from. And very rarely will somebody directly call anybody else out on these issues, even if they are doing it in a professional and productive fashion. Extremely frustrating to work 12 hours a day like this.

-Supervisors don't really do a lot, other than make sure associates who make 1/3 as much as you are working hard. This was, honestly, the worst part of my job, having to wander the warehouse for hours talking to employees about how hard they were working, without having a whole lot to do myself.

-Basically a non existent management training program. Your 10 week guidebook is impossible to follow, and when you try to go by the letter of the book you get told not to worry about it. Then you will get quizzed on how far along you are in your book. Training basically consists of shadowing another supervisor and doing whatever they ask you. Which is often times not a lot, because if something goes wrong and you were the one making decisions as part of a training process, it falls back on that supervisor training you. So expect to spend 10 hours a day discussing productivity reports with associates who, for the most part, are actually working extremely hard.

Advice to Management

- Instead of BSing your way through the hiring process to get another person out on the floor, be more honest and up front about what is expected of your new incoming managers. This job requires a certain type of manager, and I was not that person.

7. "Store Associate"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Selma, TX
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Selma, TX

Pros

Good with Scheduling, if you are going to school.

Cons

Inconsistent with Hours depending on the season

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee needs when seeking to get a task done. Employees are asked to complete multiple projects by a deadline without the appropriate time or resources.

8. "POS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Pros

the pay is great
    Flexible hours
    The staff is awesome
    You get paid every week

Cons

Sometimes the managers get too smart when there's a line and you want to make sure the customers are put first and not rushed
    This company is too obsessed over the Kohl's charges
    The training is very awful and they don't tell you everything about the registers
    Most of the managers aren't on the same page and when you listen to one of them, then the other yells at you for no reason.
    When you make even the tiniest mistake they threaten to fire you.
    Half of the time you don't know about certain things and they wait for you to make that mistake so they can yell at you.
    Most of the stuff that functions at your register should be done at customer service because it causes so many issues.
    Black Friday is disorganized
    When the prices are wrong on the item, your supposed to call the department to get a price correction, and it you change it and it's over $5.00, then you get in trouble for it, however, if you wait too long and there is a line showing up then the managers will yell at you to change it without the okay from the department then it feels like its a waist of time to do so.

Advice to Management

More compromises should be made because it kinda sucks for people especially the newcomers to listen to one supervisor and then hear something different from the other. More understandings need to be made with the training especially with the coupons because how are they supposed to know that it's one coupon per person? Another thing that needs to be adjusted is the scheduling with breaks, yes you guys made a system to avoid people taking breaks at the same time but half of the time you guys are forgetful to add a few names to the break sheet it's just confusing. Lastly the Kohl's charge credits is just a way to raise the store's rating and it's not that serious at all. It's just a way to get the store more money but nothing to special for the employee/

"Kohl's is a good idea if the managers aren't toxic."

Former Employee - Jewelry Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Jewelry Associate in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

A lot of the ethics/ values of Kohl's is great... if it's ACTUALLY implemented in the store. If you have a good manager, the store can be an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

In this store specifically... the drama was like being in high school all over again. I was on the outside of it, but it was incredible and it was toxic. If the store manager was having a bad day, it tricked down to everyone and then everyone felt crappy.

Advice to Management

Leave the gossip and drama behind once you graduate high school.

"Sales Retail"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Kohl's part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not really much.
    Other locatiom treated me and others better with the past manager

Cons

No moving up.
    Too much pressure for one person
    No appreciation
    No hours
    Same old routine
    Corporates dont listen to the ones who does most of the work.
    Dont listen to new ideas like me.

Advice to Management

Listen. Need to see what customers want. Attract customers with certain display. Care about the workers working in a certain community/area it resides on. Like transportation and safety. If not business can fail.

11. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Snellville, GA

I worked at Kohl's part-time

Pros

9.00 is prettt good for minimum wage

Cons

They use you , they hire you around October an train you these uncessery long boring training . I went to a east group orientation. Got hired basically on spot . They set me up for orientation . Trained me on a computer for 3 days than on training mode on the register . I have only worked one day . They told me not to plan anything for the holidays . They hired me an I have no hours or money another job has already called me I'm quitting the pay is super low an I have a way better opportunities with State Farm . Seemed like a good company but very unorganized with hours . Hired me too early .

Advice to Management

Don't hire people in October An make them wait months and days with no money to just call them in. I feel used and pointless to have even hired me. Most seasonal jobs I have had I have been working non stop. I was told they have to figure something out when I ask when do I start so they never sent me a schedule . People will quit this job if you never Contact them . No benefits either

Showing 1,027 of 6,401 reviews