Kohler Reviews in Sheboygan, WI | Glassdoor

Sheboygan, WI

3.7
David Kohler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work-life balance with ability for flexible work arrangements (in 16 reviews)

• Great people, good pay, decent hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The company runs fairly lean in areas which can swing the work-life balance a bit times (in 15 reviews)

• Little influence unless you are in upper management (in 17 reviews)

1. "Meets Expectations"

Current Employee - Engineering Analyst in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Engineering Analyst in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good mentoring from the top down, but you have to work for it. Don't expect good things if all you do is tow the line. Kohler is very work and project driven. There are many possibilities to be successful within the organization. If you are eager and willing to take on goals that are above your title level, the hard work pays off. The company is also very flexible with hours, understanding that there are other factors happening in your life. Tuition reimbursement is offered for further education. The HR group really pushes training, such as Crucial Conversations, Emotional Intelligence, and the Oz principal. All which are very empowering tools. Kohler is very engagement driven and is focused on top level involvement down to the associates on the manufacturing floor.

Cons

Day to day firefighting, lack of ownership, and accountability on manufacturing issues can bog you down and affect morale. Need to get a culture of ownership thinking within the base level manufacturing associates. To much of a not my job mentality.

"Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you land in the right department the atmosphere is great. They promote learning and advancement. Culture is getting more progressive. If you are into the outdoors and like a safe, quiet, area to live in, this will fit you. They pay well for the area, but don't try to compare the pay to large urban areas. They will not match that.

Cons

They will work you till you drop in some areas. Understaffed, overworked. I pushed back and am no longer there because of it. My department had a high manager turnover. I did not fit well with the last one. The HR people do not have your back. They did not give me time to transfer out.

Advice to Management

Place more value on your long time employees, keep improving the culture. Staff up to appropriate levels.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Market Analyst in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Market Analyst in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family company - strong leadership team

Cons

An hour from Milwaukee or Green Bay

"One of the "little people," I feel I don't matter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, better than average pay for the area, competitive benefits package (if you are full-time)

Cons

As an hourly employee, I feel insignificant. There is a large gap between the salaried workers and the hourly/factory workers. I know I am expendable, and management does not value me or my skills. Instead of working to hold onto good workers, they embrace a revolving door policy which leads to a sub-standard department that provides poor service. I feel looked down upon on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Value your workers, focus on retention of existing staff. This is beneficial to both the workers and the company. The high turnover rate leads to a decline in quality, and poor word-of-mouth makes it increasingly difficult to replace these undervalued workers.

5. "Brand Ambassador"

Current Employee - TSA in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - TSA in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler (More than 5 years)

Pros

Empowerment - always able to say yes to a customer
    End Customer Focus - at least when it comes to product or parts

Cons

Aging systems
    Poor documentation
    Turnover
    Service delivery - 7-10 for instock parts delivery? 28 days plus for GP's? Makes every customer service standard a bit of a joke.

Advice to Management

Fix parts distribution
    7-10 days to fix a faucet is unacceptable to anyone. NDA should be standard
    Learn to say no and mean it, or don't say no.

6. "Be wary"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable company. Quite profitable in the marketplace. Comparable wage. Many jobs to choose from. Moderate opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Doesn't seem to care about its employees. Unusual culture. Lack of communication. Out of date technology. Long hour. The bottom line apparat. L

Advice to Management

Please understand life does not wrap up into pretty black and white packages. There should be a gray are. Life is meAAGH.

7. "Amazing company to intern with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheboygan, WI

Pros

- Opportunities for hands-on work
    - Work culture encourages interns

Cons

- None that I found too big to mention

8. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Senior Switchboard Operator in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Switchboard Operator in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and flexible management

Cons

Too many politics. It's not what you know, it's who you know here.

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Kohler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kohler is a great place to work for the right individual. They place a lot of emphasis on training, and provide opportunities to improve your skills. There is opportunity to achieve great things if you can figure out how to work within the Kohler system.

The pay is average for the region. Benefits were average. The best part of Kohler is the people.

The company is privately held by the Kohler family, and this allows the company to focus on long-term development strategies. The company does not use short-term tactics to improve stock value for the stock holders. This is a great advantage to the company.

The company is well diversified and has many different business units that the average consumer may not be aware. There is kitchen and bath, power (small engines and generators), interiors, and hospitality (gold courses and hotels). There is a lot of opportunity to move within the Kohler company.

Cons

In terms of the technical capabilities, Kohler is years behind their competitors. Management is spending money to catch up, but they have no culture for research and have little ability to deliver. There research capabilities are at an embryonic stage. If you are considering Kohler as an employer for a research position, stay away. It is easier to find more fulfilling employment elsewhere and for more money.

10. "Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sheboygan, WI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Sheboygan, WI

I have been working at Kohler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. Insurance is good and there is a pension program. Big discounts at playing golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits.

Cons

Advancement opportunities not what they said it would be. Company as a whole is technologically slow. Compensation is not the best.