Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.0
Robert Bernardi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great job for those with no ambition"

Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Before I get into the pros/cons let me address some common themes from other reviewers: This company is not trying to disrupt the industry, hire the most talented people, or offer opportunity for promotion. They are simply following the directives from their parent company, Hitachi Kokusai (though I recently heard they were acquired). Management is set in their ways; true, there is no new ideas and no employee satisfaction programs within the company. However, each person's role within the company is unique to the customer they support. My role had me supporting different customers at different times and with that brought different opportunities. I had enormous opportunities for technical training and growth. As long as my customer approved, my manager allowed me to adjust my hours to accommodate school or other events. For me, it was the opposite of micromanagement. Since supervision was practically non-existent, I had lots autonomy as long as the customer remained supported and satisfied. Considering I have no college degree, pay was pretty good. The benefits were amazing and almost free. The semi-annual dog and pony show was pretty cool cause you were able to get some fancy dinner and run up the tab with Old Fashions, Scotch, wine or whatever you fancy.

If you're an easy going person and your goal is to work and collect a paycheck, this is the company for you. It WILL NOT be fulfilling if you are an ambitious person. It may offer opportunities for domestic and foreign travel if you like. If you are very technically proficient (everyone things they are but only a handful of techs actually are), and speak up, you may be selected for unique opportunities.

Cons

Being a small company, there are essentially three organizational levels: tech/engineer, Engineer in Charge (EIC), and management. If you are great with the customer and technically proficient, you can get promoted to EIC if a spot opens up (which might take 10 years) but that's about it.

Culture: go to work, work, leave work.

Advice to Management

Set expectations straight to for new hires so they don't expect to enjoy their jobs or get promoted. People on here complaining are doing so because they thought this job was going to be great for some reason. They were simply hired to do equipment maintenance, repairs, et cetera. This will solve your Glassdoor issue. Though I think Rob Bernardi is generally an extremely nice and charismatic person, he's the captain responsible for the poor management. I suppose if his goal is to meet the investor's goals with complete disregard for the employees, he's doing an exceptional job. However, I think he needs to set up a communication platform to hear directly from the actual workforce rather than have all the negative feedback filtered from him.

It's irresponsible to hire people and give them the impression they may be promoted. In a company this small, it's simply not possible or necessary to promote people.

2. "Great befits, people and result orientated..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great befits, work to promote from within.

Cons

Smaller company, so promotions opportunities limited.

Advice to Management

Look to add more manning to provide for surges and flexibility.

3. "Avoid if you can"

Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time

Pros

Great benefit plan. Pretty good compensation for not requiring a degree. Biannual company dinner.

Cons

Everything about this company is generally terrible - management, communication, promotions, pay (in a way), personal reviews, and professionalism. Management was not there to guide, encourage, promote, or listen to you. Management was there to make the customer happy which in the end meant taking no concern for their own workers. They'd sell you up the river for a penny. Communication was poor, to say the least. The most communication you'd get is a manager rifling off an email with the general idea/plan but absolutely no way of implementing it, no points of contacts, no standards, nothing. If you tried to ask questions about such plans, then more than likely you'd receive push-back from management or maybe even talked down to like you were an idiot. It was almost as-if management was told to send an email and they checked that box off. Anything that happened after the email was irrelevant because their only literal requirement was to send an email. This ranged from safety issues, to new requirements, to vacations (in fact, management had difficulty receiving and approving vacations so workers on site just ended up approving it ourselves at site and arranging backup, etc.). There were no promotions. Well, there were "promotions" but it was only time-based. There were no new standards and certainly no skill test to qualify you for the next level. The company was small so there were no position upgrades/promotions unless someone retired or died. The company also had a policy of hiring within first but routinely hired externally despite candidates matching their needs. They even posted an opening once for a new location and someone volunteered and they said that he had to pay for his own relocation "because he wanted to go and the company wasn't forcing him to go." Pay was good for non-degree holders but was seemingly lower than the customer we were serving and other vendors. Personal reviews were a joke. Of all the years I worked there my review was almost an exact Xerox copy of the previous year. Reviews were generally written by someone that never saw you work or worked alongside you. I questioned this and I was actually told that reviews didn't matter - that all reviews were eventually funneled to HR and HR decided who got what based on what everyone else was getting. In other words, any raise or lack or raise was not based on your individual work/merit - it was based on whatever HR thought was "fair" to everyone else. Professionalism was probably about as bad as it could get. Honestly, I can't think of how it could be worse unless they physically beat you. Management and HR routinely engaged in personal vendettas against people. If you raised a concern to them you'd be ignored at best and at worst ridiculed. The way to succeed in this company is to stay low, never ask questions, never raise concerns, never expect anything, never try to improve anything, and hope that you survive the layoffs. If you can do that then you have a very nice non-degree job.

Advice to Management

Management has no desire to listen, so why pretend?

"Field Service Engineer"

Pros

- Competitive wages.
    - 12 hour shift alternating 3 days on 4 off, 4 on 3 off.
    - Great benefits

Cons

- Minimal oportunity for promotion
    - Lackluster communication between management and employees

"Ship of fools"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the fact that I have moved on to a better work place.

Cons

This is a very passive aggressive work environment that demonstrates the Peter Principal and is destined to prove how Organization Failure Theory works. The yes men have convinced upper management that all is well, and anyone who disagrees will be removed. Any work or time that you put in that is above or beyond is expected and will not be returned, rewarded or compensated for.

Advice to Management

Any recommendations have already been said by previous posts, but no one is listening. The only way to fix the situation is a corporate restructure and replacement of most of upper management. But this would be corporate seppuku and no one here has the courage or honor.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The crew of guys on shift is great and always work together well. Working conditions were actually quite good because we were remote on customer sites. Work-Life balance was fine. Worked three days and had four off. Then work four days and have three off. Vacation was easy to take because the management left it to employees to coordinate with each other. Sick time was easy to take. Once you were done with the day, you leave. Nobody ever tried to make you stay.

Cons

The leadership is that by title alone. Any concern you voice is repeated back to you like they are concerned and then dropped as soon as you leave the meeting. The personal review system is terrible. Multiple employees noted that their reviews from the current year were just carbon copies of the year before with dates changed. The workload is decided by the customer organization. If it is excessive or unreasonable, management would not step in to push back. The management was there to make sure the customer was happy, not manage the employees. Supervisors only commended the employees after the employees got fed up with the work we did not being mentioned in any capacity and complained about it. Management lied the whole time about having an employee recognition program on the books. They stated they gave over 100 monetary commendations for exemplary employees, which turned out to just be the bonus we get every year for customer satisfaction, not individual employee commendations. There was no trust at the company either. The managers would talk negatively about employees behind their backs to other employees. Management has called the employees "cry-babies" for voicing the same concerns over and over again when they took no action to correct them. When contract cuts were coming around, the rule was that the senior people will be further from the chopping block, but when it actually happened the friends of the managers came out ahead, not senior employees. Directives were communicated very clearly and that was it. How to accomplish those directives, no matter how outlandish or unnecessary, was never mentioned. If the customer complained about something a random "fire and forget" emails saying we needed to do something would be sent and never followed up on. Yearly we would be assigned arbitrary goals to complete before the next review cycle, and then never hear about them again. If you actually attempted to complete your goals, it was a fight with management the whole way. We had issues with our company supplying the right tools sometimes. Getting a company computer installed was a hassle and took no less than three "we will have one installed next week" promises and over a year to get it done. All the while we had to access our company servers through VPN on customer computers which was very against the rules, but a known condition by management.No career development to speak of. If you try to be a hard charger and get promoted early, you won't. They promote and give raises based on time with company, not merit. You will max out your position in the company within 6 years and get pennies an hour raise after that. No upward movement is possible because the company is small and people in the management positions will basically die there or retire.
    We made less money than the customer we were supporting even though our jobs were more difficult. We also made less than other similar companies based on glassdoor.com and salary.com reviews. Our managers insisted we were well compensated compared to others though.
    You will probably never find a positive review of this company. Go ahead and try.
    They are at risk of cutting contracts based on customer need. When I got hired they needed many more and hired six after me. Within three years, all those contracts were cut because the customer didn't want our support anymore.

Advice to Management

Care about something.

"Avoid Kokusai"

Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that kokudai offers great benefits.

Cons

Terrible/ineffective management. Long hours. Pay is poor for the industry. Just an awful company.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are qualified instead of promoting within the "good ol' boys club".

"Field Service Tech"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay scale, not great but decent.

Cons

Nothing ever improves, too much travel

"Service Engineer for Hitachi Kokusai semiconductor equipment at semiconductor fab in Newport Beach, CA."

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time

Pros

This job site was busy in growth to the computer industry with modem IC and the GPS technology, satellite communications. Kokusai equipment production lines increase this new fab to a domain market in internet computer and wireless technology.

Cons

Company provided great benefits for Field Service Engineer with work 24/7 shift, 3 weeks vacation for the 1st start year, over time paid for holiday work day shift, 12 hours policy on over time paid. Air ticket travel, hotel, rental car, $35 meal per day reimbursement, tips on travel, college education reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Discuss production down time, preventative maintenance and repair issues, parts and expedite orders, modification on certain equipment, customer meetings, technical meetings, training on site.

"Good pay, poor management and politics"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Kokusai Semiconductor Equipment Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay vs amount of work was good however you deal with a lot of useless politics to maintain

Cons

very bad management who has no clue about the equipment they sell nor ever has the back of employess

Advice to Management

Increase your technical knowledge, be consistent, and be honest good or bad