Kona Grill Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Berke Bakay

Pros
Cons
  • long hours- but all restaurants have (in 7 reviews)

• Most side work you will ever do in a serving job (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fantastic Corporate Atmosphere!"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Kona, NC
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Kona, NC

Pros

Kona Grills Corporate office has a lively, upbeat, happy atmosphere that spreads infectiously through the restaurant locations. The corporate staff truly cares about their location employees and making sure that they have every available resource needed. The communication between the corporate office and site locations is impeccable and everyone works together with a smile. The entire staff has the mindset to get the job done, get it done with accuracy, and have fun while doing it in a professional manner. Great group of managers and support staff. I would work with these lovely individuals again in a heartbeat.

Cons

The corporate office is very small, there is not enough room for the entire support staff, but they are moving into a new office that should give more leg room to the employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, keep up with the team building and employee appreciation. The staff is obviously loved and it shows in how they pride themselves in their work. I would say to encourage more team building from department to department, that would be the only constructive criticism I could give for Kona.

"Location"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Kona Grill full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great overall corporate company to work for. Constantly is listening to it's people and trying to grow.

Cons

Growing too much too fast. Getting itself lost. Wants to open too many stores too quickly that current operations seem to fall off. Spends too much money on things like menus because they don't want to pay upfront for a better product.

"Very shaky ground"

Current Employee - Accounting in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Accounting in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like my co-workers. Nice, new office.

Cons

The corporate office has a very negative vibe at the moment. No communication or leadership from the VP's and CEO. Everyone is nervous about losing their job, and most people are looking for something else. No longer opening new restaurants - word is that they will be closing some. They are "laying off" some really key people in the organization. Stock price is down, and people are scared.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team. Don't think that everyone knows what is going on, or what the game plan is. Please be leaders, be approachable. Get a plan together, and tell us what it is. Get rid of Great Plains!

5. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in training for over a month now and have made a wise choice joining the Kona Grill team. A family that works very hard to make their guests a #1 priority along with creating a positive environment for their employees. They go the extra mile in training for all their employees and have a never ending drive to execute the freshest product. It's a model other restaurants should aspire too. I'm fortunate to be working for Kona Grill. They reaffirm the value of hospitality each and everyday.

Cons

There are no cons working for Kona Grill.

"They are not Honest!!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New offices, athmosphere, good benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

Not telling the truth about the position I applied for, not being prepared for a new person to start on day one, not having the correct job description

Advice to Management

Defining the position of ACCOUNTS PAYABLE PROCESSOR correctly!!!

Kona Grill Response

May 15, 2017 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback! This type of information will help us ensure our employees success. We strive to be an employer of choice and this feedback will help us achieve that goal. We wish you ... More

7. "Great place to serve"

Current Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good food, easy money, fast paced, great staff, enjoyable work atmosphere

Cons

Limited growth, late nights (but that's the service industry in general), inconsistency in management

8. "International Marketplace Grill Sucking Wind"

Current Employee - Server in Waikïkï, HI
    Current Employee - Server in Waikïkï, HI

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No customers so it's an easy gig.

Cons

No customers, poor management, new menu is a joke. No seafood, mostly chicken, what is this KFC Kona?

Advice to Management

Close the unit. There a dozen restaurants in the Marketplace and Kona can't compete.

9. "Server"

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Kona Grill (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast money. Flexible schedules most of the time. And if you know what your doing they leave you alone most of the time.

Cons

Politics. It's always the same. Favorites are played for the good shift. There is too many servers on the floor so money is limited. No food runner for a million dollar restaurant they should have food runners.

Advice to Management

Up your budget a little. And get rid of sushi tip out. It's painful for a server to give up $30 in their tips to someone who already gets paid like a line cook.

10. "Part-Time Hostess"

Former Employee - Hostess in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Austin, TX

I worked at Kona Grill part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got the job as a hostess at Kona Grill when I was a senior in college. Not only were they super accommodating to my student schedule, but the restaurant closes at 11pm, so it helped that it wasn't too late when I got off of work. Also, the food discount was a bonus, especially as a college student.

Cons

As a hostess, we were made to clean the bathrooms, which I found to be an odd task for a hostess.

11. "Management"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Kona Grill full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The amount of time training is excellent training location are the best in keeping you in tune of what the Kona Brand is and that is a plus love the opportunity to be with such a fortune company

Cons

Just the time away from home but worth it

Advice to Management

Training at Austin TX with the team was great