Konami Gaming, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Konami Current"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer IV in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer IV in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked is balanced not too stressful. Flexible hours.

Cons

No atmosphere culture strictly business.

"Squandering Talent"

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers. Very smart people that want to do good work and produce top quality products.
    - Managers and Directors are very accessible and generally very fair.
    - The benefits are very generous. I can say that this is one thing that Konami really cares about. They work hard to continue to find good medical coverage at reasonable rates. The 401K match is *incredibly* good.

Cons

From an engineers perspective this company suffers from a few serious issues.

1. Communication disconnect between lower level management and the C level executives.
         Engineers have been warning direct managers and directors of the need to refactor/re-write software that is vital to the systems group for over 10 years. This software has become *completely* unstable, non-maintainable to the point that engineers are afraid to change the code because it's impossible to know what bugs might be introduced. Somehow it's taken more than 10 years to get the company to agree to allow us to rewrite the code. However, not enough resources are being provided to finish the rewrite. The engineers working on the code have been put in a no-win situation. The company won't spend the resources to get us out of the mess but continue to expect us to add features to the old code-base. I don't know why Konami isn't doing something decisive and effective to remedy the situation. This is a problem for Konami for at least two reasons:
        a - This software is going to cause Konami to lose customers.
        b- Most engineers don't want to work in an environment in which they can't succeed. The only way to fix this is for Konami to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO REPLACE the old code-base.

2. The company appears to have very little vision beyond the current quarterly results. The bare minimum is done to keep the system software limping along. As a result, Konami is in an endless loop of putting out fires and fixing bugs in an attempt keep customers. The code is becoming worse and worse as patches are hastily made to get fixes out to customers. Konami needs to break out of this loop if they want to grow.

3- Executive level double-speak. Twice a year the company has an all hands meeting in which the CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication and he wants people to feel comfortable speaking directly with him. He also says that we must remain humble and not accept the status quo. However, this is clearly just lip service for the following reasons.

a - Engineers are FORCED to accept the status quo because the company won't allow the time or resources that it takes to produce products that are better than the status quo.
        b - The CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication. However, before I left I asked for an opportunity to speak with him to let him know of the problems that this review is laying out. Bare in mind that before doing so, many times I tried to get the company to make changes by speaking to my immediate chain of command. Nothing ever changed. So before leaving I wanted to speak directly to the CEO in hopes that the message would be heard and acted upon. I wasn't granted any time to speak my concerns to the CEO. Instead I was told to use the exit interview to express my concerns. Yeah, in theory that's great if you believe the C level executives don't get a watered down, filtered and cleansed version of what is really going on.
        c - Humility? How humble is the CEO or other members of the management team when it is clear that they aren't really listening and taking the advice of the engineers seriously?

My hope is that Konami's management will take a good long introspective look at what they are doing and step up to the plate and do WHAT IS BEST FOR THE COMPANY. Consider the long-term goals and not just cheap out worrying about quarterly numbers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The rank and file employees have a real good sense of what needs to happen for Konami to truly succeed. PLEASE LISTEN TO THEM.
    And don't even think about brushing this review aside as the ramblings of a "disgruntled" employee. I actively cared for and tried to affect positive change for nearly 8 years! Talk to your remaining engineers. If they are honest they will tell the same thing!

"Good Decision to join Konami"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Process improvement ideas are always welcomed by my team. Creativity is highly encouraged and hear "yes, let's do that" 9.5x out of 10.

Cons

Honestly can't say there are any "cons" to working here. I mean everyone has a not great day here and there but I have never once been motivated to look elsewhere because of a less than "stellar" day here or there.

Advice to Management

I can't tell where these people work that are posting this stuff on Glassdoor OR EVEN if they work at this location or company AT ALL. Anyone can post anything on Glassdoor WITHOUT proof they have in the past or may currently work for your company. That fact definitely should factor into your evaluation of the comments posted here...

"Application Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The facility itself is pretty impressive to look at. Other than that, everything else from day one was a red-flag after another. So yeah, nice building.

Cons

Below industry standard pay.
    Toxic work environment and culture.
    Low employee morale.
    Subpar employee benefits.
    Micro-management policy.
    High employee turn-over.
    Incompetent managers.
    High risk, no reward culture.
    Over-worked, underpaid employees.
    Embraces a negative culture of intimidation.

Advice to Management

I doubt this will make any difference. But, if they are able to create and foster an environment of positivity and promise, then Konami stands a chance retaining talent, and turn-around bad its reputation.

"Good Place to Work"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits, good pay, stable

Cons

work-life balance isn't easy here. They work lean so everyone is putting in extra energy. This is causing burnout

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Not for Everyone"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

The new building is great.
    There are a lot of nice people there at the lower levels.
    If you have casino floor experience, this can be a reasonable place to work. If you do not, no amount of expertise or credential will convince them to take you seriously.

Cons

Strong tolerance for poor management and poor management decisions.
    The halls stink. When they redid the building, they did not consider appropriate ventilation for any of the restrooms.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They will not listen to anyone other than themselves. They need to learn to value the rank and file employees.

"Coordinator"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

Nice and friendly atmosphere. People were always willing to help

Cons

Benefits were slowly being changed and more expensive for the employee as opposed to what they were initially offered.

Advice to Management

Executives need to be more visible and social with all employees

"Decent rank and file, but completely cruel and useless management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get paid on time and sometimes you don't have to deal with management. Pretty much everything except for the corporate culture is alright there.

Cons

Where to start? Konami just went through a pretty brutal layoff about a month ago. Every department was axed. The CEO filed everyone into one big room and told us that we had to can these people because the company was still profitable, but not as profitable as it was last year. He refused to answer questions from the few employees who actually had them. At the same time, he said that they needed to create money to hire new people in Games R&D. Only they laid off at least half a dozen employees in Games R&D. This is after the department busted their tails to meet the annual goal despite a huge shortage - from a lot of people leaving over the past fiscal year. Games R&D overachieved despite being hamstrung at every turn by management's inability to find and retain quality people, and they were rewarded by getting a few of their comrades canned because the CEO thinks the company isn't making enough money. And to top it all off, he basically told every other department that they should be mad at Games R&D for the layoffs.

After saying goodbye to everyone in the room, he told us to take solace in the fact that the company is still profitable. As if that's what we care about when this is how it treats us. I agree with previous reviewers: this company thinks that every single person is replaceable. Everything about the work culture here is so strange and rigid. Micromanagement abounds at all levels. Taking time off is frowned upon, even though it's both your legal right and part of your benefits. The executive management has an entirely separate enclave, with their own elevator and everything. You'll see one or two of them occasionally walking around the halls, but that's it. They have a big underground parking garage that's for their use only. Everyone else is expected to park out in the sun with not even tin shading. You can stand in the parking lot and look at all the adjacent office buildings and all of them have covered parking. Except for Konami. And after the layoff they put a couple of security guys down there to protect their expensive cars in case someone came in with a tire iron or something.

The rank and file employees are smart and decent people. Even the first level of management is largely OK, but even they have only stayed so long because they've started to internalize the bizarre thinking of management. Ask people how long they've been working here and you'll be surprised to find how many have only been here for a year or less.

Advice to Management

Don't act like we're stupid. Your company is declining because you treat your employees like dirt. Start being honest and open and you'll get a much more motivated workforce.

"Customer Service"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

Nothing, a very disappointing experience

Cons

Very disappointing experience with this employer. favoritism, and expectation of low quality work the norm. Made lots of promises that no intention of keeping.

"Over-all"

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner II in Lakeside, CA
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner II in Lakeside, CA

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very supportive. Company supports life/work balance. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Upgrade needed on operating system.