Konami Gaming, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Active and always ready to help HR team.
    Work-Life Balance.
    Friendly team members.
    Easy accessible Managers who are there to help.
    Employee reward culture...Yes it is there

Cons

Yet to find out any cons.

Advice to Management

Target customers from the other parts of the world too.

2. "In need of severe improvement"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Konami gaming needs to improve. There is unfortunately a deep cultural divide which may have something to do with the Japan based corporate style. One director level employee (C.W.) was promoted to a VP level role and was not deserving. Perhaps his DBZ hair preference had something to do with the promotion.

Cons

I worked at Konami Gaming for 9+ years, and in all the time that I was there...I found that certain individuals received a fast track over others based on personal preference or nepotism rather than raw added value/performance.

Advice to Management

Bring in an outside consultant to evaluate processes and systems in order to best determine if there is any room for improvement.

"Bad Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid on time, decent benefits

Cons

Micromanaged culture - not an environment for free thinkers.

"Squandering Talent"

Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Embedded Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers. Very smart people that want to do good work and produce top quality products.
    - Managers and Directors are very accessible and generally very fair.
    - The benefits are very generous. I can say that this is one thing that Konami really cares about. They work hard to continue to find good medical coverage at reasonable rates. The 401K match is *incredibly* good.

Cons

From an engineers perspective this company suffers from a few serious issues.

1. Communication disconnect between lower level management and the C level executives.
         Engineers have been warning direct managers and directors of the need to refactor/re-write software that is vital to the systems group for over 10 years. This software has become *completely* unstable, non-maintainable to the point that engineers are afraid to change the code because it's impossible to know what bugs might be introduced. Somehow it's taken more than 10 years to get the company to agree to allow us to rewrite the code. However, not enough resources are being provided to finish the rewrite. The engineers working on the code have been put in a no-win situation. The company won't spend the resources to get us out of the mess but continue to expect us to add features to the old code-base. I don't know why Konami isn't doing something decisive and effective to remedy the situation. This is a problem for Konami for at least two reasons:
        a - This software is going to cause Konami to lose customers.
        b- Most engineers don't want to work in an environment in which they can't succeed. The only way to fix this is for Konami to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO REPLACE the old code-base.

2. The company appears to have very little vision beyond the current quarterly results. The bare minimum is done to keep the system software limping along. As a result, Konami is in an endless loop of putting out fires and fixing bugs in an attempt keep customers. The code is becoming worse and worse as patches are hastily made to get fixes out to customers. Konami needs to break out of this loop if they want to grow.

3- Executive level double-speak. Twice a year the company has an all hands meeting in which the CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication and he wants people to feel comfortable speaking directly with him. He also says that we must remain humble and not accept the status quo. However, this is clearly just lip service for the following reasons.

a - Engineers are FORCED to accept the status quo because the company won't allow the time or resources that it takes to produce products that are better than the status quo.
        b - The CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication. However, before I left I asked for an opportunity to speak with him to let him know of the problems that this review is laying out. Bare in mind that before doing so, many times I tried to get the company to make changes by speaking to my immediate chain of command. Nothing ever changed. So before leaving I wanted to speak directly to the CEO in hopes that the message would be heard and acted upon. I wasn't granted any time to speak my concerns to the CEO. Instead I was told to use the exit interview to express my concerns. Yeah, in theory that's great if you believe the C level executives don't get a watered down, filtered and cleansed version of what is really going on.
        c - Humility? How humble is the CEO or other members of the management team when it is clear that they aren't really listening and taking the advice of the engineers seriously?

My hope is that Konami's management will take a good long introspective look at what they are doing and step up to the plate and do WHAT IS BEST FOR THE COMPANY. Consider the long-term goals and not just cheap out worrying about quarterly numbers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The rank and file employees have a real good sense of what needs to happen for Konami to truly succeed. PLEASE LISTEN TO THEM.
    And don't even think about brushing this review aside as the ramblings of a "disgruntled" employee. I actively cared for and tried to affect positive change for nearly 8 years! Talk to your remaining engineers. If they are honest they will tell the same thing!

"Konami Current"

Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer IV in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Embedded Software Engineer IV in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked is balanced not too stressful. Flexible hours.

Cons

No atmosphere culture strictly business.

"Good Decision to join Konami"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Process improvement ideas are always welcomed by my team. Creativity is highly encouraged and hear "yes, let's do that" 9.5x out of 10.

Cons

Honestly can't say there are any "cons" to working here. I mean everyone has a not great day here and there but I have never once been motivated to look elsewhere because of a less than "stellar" day here or there.

Advice to Management

I can't tell where these people work that are posting this stuff on Glassdoor OR EVEN if they work at this location or company AT ALL. Anyone can post anything on Glassdoor WITHOUT proof they have in the past or may currently work for your company. That fact definitely should factor into your evaluation of the comments posted here...

"Application Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The facility itself is pretty impressive to look at. Other than that, everything else from day one was a red-flag after another. So yeah, nice building.

Cons

Below industry standard pay.
    Toxic work environment and culture.
    Low employee morale.
    Subpar employee benefits.
    Micro-management policy.
    High employee turn-over.
    Incompetent managers.
    High risk, no reward culture.
    Over-worked, underpaid employees.
    Embraces a negative culture of intimidation.

Advice to Management

I doubt this will make any difference. But, if they are able to create and foster an environment of positivity and promise, then Konami stands a chance retaining talent, and turn-around bad its reputation.

"Good Place to Work"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

Great people, great benefits, good pay, stable

Cons

work-life balance isn't easy here. They work lean so everyone is putting in extra energy. This is causing burnout

Advice to Management

Hire more people

"Not for Everyone"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

The new building is great.
    There are a lot of nice people there at the lower levels.
    If you have casino floor experience, this can be a reasonable place to work. If you do not, no amount of expertise or credential will convince them to take you seriously.

Cons

Strong tolerance for poor management and poor management decisions.
    The halls stink. When they redid the building, they did not consider appropriate ventilation for any of the restrooms.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They will not listen to anyone other than themselves. They need to learn to value the rank and file employees.

"Coordinator"

I worked at Konami Gaming, Inc. full-time

Pros

Nice and friendly atmosphere. People were always willing to help

Cons

Benefits were slowly being changed and more expensive for the employee as opposed to what they were initially offered.

Advice to Management

Executives need to be more visible and social with all employees