Cover image for Konami Gaming, Inc.
Logo

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Part of Konami
Is this your company?

Konami Gaming, Inc.

Add a Review

Konami Gaming, Inc. Employee Reviews about "konami"

Updated Jul 20, 2020

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 83 of over 83 reviews
2.4
21% Recommend to a Friend
18% Approve of CEO

Found 11 of over 83 reviews

2.4
Konami Gaming, Inc. CEO Satoshi Sakamoto (no image)
Satoshi Sakamoto

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits(in 9 reviews)
  • "I have found most of the people there great to work with and always willing to help.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Coworkers are decent but anyone with real skill levels doesn’t stay long.(in 4 reviews)
  • "The new building is great.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor management; inability to grow beyond the the old way of doing things.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Bad culture.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Getting software approved and dealing with IT is a totally different ordeal and even the high level managers are afraid of the IT department.(in 5 reviews)
  • "You can stand in the parking lot and look at all the adjacent office buildings and all of them have covered parking.(in 3 reviews)
  • "Konami just went through a pretty brutal layoff about a month ago.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "konami"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A better place to work for

Oct 14, 2016 - Assembly Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Konami Gaming is growing company and a very good place to work for.

Cons

it`s a very good place to work for.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Everything was great until COVID

Jul 20, 2020 - Games R&D
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great coworkers - Low stress - Very little overtime

Cons

After COVID hit in March, we were very quickly shuffled to working remotely. This transition went more or less smoothly. Mid-May (and after a month long furlough in April), we were all told we were required to be physically back in the office by the start of June. All protests about safety, effectiveness in working remote, or anything else were shut down completely. We were told that upper management did not trust people to work from home. Upon returning to the office, compliance with wearing masks and social distancing was extremely low and left entirely up to the individual. At the end of June, two employees tested positive for COVID and Human Resources did not inform us until weeks later, and seemingly only because word started to spread about the positive cases. Konami's response to the pandemic has been, much like the US response itself, a case of putting profits before people. I understand when you work at a large corporation like this, you are just a column in a spreadsheet at some level, but the flagrant disregard for employee well-being and the refusal to acknowledge and adapt to the extraordinary circumstances of a global pandemic soured my opinion of this company faster than I ever could have anticipated. Steer clear of working for Konami until well after COVID is gone or until you hear that they have made a complete shift in their policies.

5 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Konami Gaming, Inc. team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Arrogance and Mismanagement at its BEST

Jan 29, 2016 - Software Engineer III in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really dont see any pros of working here

Cons

I have worked at konami for more than 2 years and there was no better feeling than leaving this God Awful company. The tools used here are extremely outdated , the managers are clueless. Recently the only manger who actually knew how to code left after giving a 3 day sudden notice .The rest of the dev managers are inept and under qualified.I agree with one of the posters here mentioning that Konami games are "Space Fillers". The Japanese managers think they are a GOD SEND and that they can never be wrong. The company is a sinking ship and yet their arrogance has not subsided. Its because of this arrogance KONAMI is having a hard time finding developers.Konami is currently using VS2008 for development. This edition is so old that Microsoft even stopped supporting it.There is literally nothing that you can do for this company that will make your resume improve. The silence and the company politics will make you utterly useless.

12 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good workplace, but needs improvement

Jul 31, 2016 -  in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

First off, the post "Your job is what you make it" was a great one, so I am not going to repeat a lot of the stuff said there. It did sound like it was written by HR though. #1 pro is the people. I have found most of the people there great to work with and always willing to help. -Good 401 K match (but on a vesting schedule, so you need to work 5yrs to get it all) - Other benefits good with broad areas of coverage/choices. Since i have been there, they have done a good job to keep employee contributions to healthcare premiums/deductibles from going up. That can't be said of most places. - Vacation is average at 2 weeks to start, plus 1 day for each year after your hire date. Unfortunately, they cut your accumulation back to 1 week every year and pay it out. - Just built a new Vegas facility addition which is much better than the previous old facility that they added on to - although remnants of the old building still exist. - Compensation is about the local avg, but well below the National avg. Probably due to the lower cost of living in NV. Bonuses/Raises - these are very tied to the business performance of the company(as they should). Unfortunately, recently the company (and gaming industry) has not been doing well and that is reflected in the company's payouts to employees. When the company meets their goals in terms of budget/revenue/profit, the company is above avg in this area. When they don't they are below avg.

Cons

- The 401K is vested for the company match at 20%/year. That means of the company contributed funds, you only get 20% per year. Until year 1 none of their contributions are yours, and you need to work to 5 years to be entitled to 100% of what Konami provides. I am not sure if this is intended as a employee retention ploy or just for financial reasons, probably a bit of both. - On your anniversary of your hire date, Konami cuts your accumulated vacation in excess of 1 week and pays it out to you. This tends to discourage planning/taking any vacation longer than 1 week, particularly if you want to travel after your hire date. Other companies I have been at have ceilings that are double your annual accrual rate. An idea that other companies have used is combining sick time and vacation time into "paid time off". It adds a week per yr to the time off and lets a person use it as they need to. It eliminates people taking sick days because they are "use it or lose it", as well as indirectly rewarding healthy employees. That would be a bold step for the company to take , but I don't see it happening any time soon. There is a very stratified culture in the company.. Executives, Engineering, Sales/Marketing, and operations are very separate entities and rarely interact unless they need to. The new building has magnified those separations. When you hear people talk of departmental "silos", that is what you have here. Executive interaction with employees is unheard of outside of all hands meetings(every 6 mo). There is a very "us and them" attitude in this company that could easily be fixed with the right attitude form the top. When the new building was built, the executives gave themselves nice underground parking with an exclusive elevator to their exclusive floor. That's OK, executives deserve some perks. But it would have been really nice to cover the outside parking stalls for the average employee. Many good companies in the Vegas area do this. Considering the millions spent on the new addition and exec garage, covered outside parking stalls would have been a relatively minor expense and worth 10x that in showing commitment to the avg employee. Konami is always developing new products, but that development always seems to be lagging behind others in the gaming industry. Everything I have seen developed has always been shown in similar form by competitors in the previous years trade show. While that does minimize risk, it will always limit the growth potential of the company. There are very few company wide events, parties, etc. The explanation has always been cost, but this puts the company in the minority when compared to other firms.

7 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Squandering Talent

Oct 15, 2017 - Embedded Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great co-workers. Very smart people that want to do good work and produce top quality products. - Managers and Directors are very accessible and generally very fair. - The benefits are very generous. I can say that this is one thing that Konami really cares about. They work hard to continue to find good medical coverage at reasonable rates. The 401K match is *incredibly* good.

Cons

From an engineers perspective this company suffers from a few serious issues. 1. Communication disconnect between lower level management and the C level executives. Engineers have been warning direct managers and directors of the need to refactor/re-write software that is vital to the systems group for over 10 years. This software has become *completely* unstable, non-maintainable to the point that engineers are afraid to change the code because it's impossible to know what bugs might be introduced. Somehow it's taken more than 10 years to get the company to agree to allow us to rewrite the code. However, not enough resources are being provided to finish the rewrite. The engineers working on the code have been put in a no-win situation. The company won't spend the resources to get us out of the mess but continue to expect us to add features to the old code-base. I don't know why Konami isn't doing something decisive and effective to remedy the situation. This is a problem for Konami for at least two reasons: a - This software is going to cause Konami to lose customers. b- Most engineers don't want to work in an environment in which they can't succeed. The only way to fix this is for Konami to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO REPLACE the old code-base. 2. The company appears to have very little vision beyond the current quarterly results. The bare minimum is done to keep the system software limping along. As a result, Konami is in an endless loop of putting out fires and fixing bugs in an attempt keep customers. The code is becoming worse and worse as patches are hastily made to get fixes out to customers. Konami needs to break out of this loop if they want to grow. 3- Executive level double-speak. Twice a year the company has an all hands meeting in which the CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication and he wants people to feel comfortable speaking directly with him. He also says that we must remain humble and not accept the status quo. However, this is clearly just lip service for the following reasons. a - Engineers are FORCED to accept the status quo because the company won't allow the time or resources that it takes to produce products that are better than the status quo. b - The CEO says he wants to break down barriers to communication. However, before I left I asked for an opportunity to speak with him to let him know of the problems that this review is laying out. Bare in mind that before doing so, many times I tried to get the company to make changes by speaking to my immediate chain of command. Nothing ever changed. So before leaving I wanted to speak directly to the CEO in hopes that the message would be heard and acted upon. I wasn't granted any time to speak my concerns to the CEO. Instead I was told to use the exit interview to express my concerns. Yeah, in theory that's great if you believe the C level executives don't get a watered down, filtered and cleansed version of what is really going on. c - Humility? How humble is the CEO or other members of the management team when it is clear that they aren't really listening and taking the advice of the engineers seriously? My hope is that Konami's management will take a good long introspective look at what they are doing and step up to the plate and do WHAT IS BEST FOR THE COMPANY. Consider the long-term goals and not just cheap out worrying about quarterly numbers.

17 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Bad culture good people

Aug 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most people that work at Konami are nice. Good work/ life balance most of the time. Benefits still good but they get a little worse every year. Stable job, I didn't see any lay off during my time.

Cons

Upper management think they are in Japan. We are paying you so put your head down and work attitude. If you want to innovate and feel appreciated this might no be the place for you. Salaries are a bit below market even with the bonus.

10 people found this review helpful

Konami Gaming, Inc. Response

Employee Services Coordinator

Konami is committed to investing in our people. We have a pay for performance culture that allows us to reward and recognize high performing employees. We offer competitive benefits, including affordable health care coverage and a 401(k) program.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Konami is on the decline

Jan 19, 2016 - Software Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing worth reporting that is out of the normal.

Cons

Konami is popular amongst casinos for making very cheap quality games. Lately newer companies with better quality games are taking over the market share of konami. Instead of improving the quality of their games Konami instead prefers on pumping out more games. These games are exactly the same only reskinned with minor math changes.The management is arrogant and blind to the decline of the company.The technology used at konami is ver arcane And does not help a developers resume. The managers would stab you in the back in a heart beat. Employee morale is very low and empoyee turn over is very high. Promotion after an year comes with zero pay increase. Newly hired employees are being payed better than senior employees.this is not a place to stay even for a year.

10 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not the best place to work but I love what I do

Jan 26, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Making games is a lot of fun There are a lot of talented people and nice people There is plenty of work to do so you should never be bored I personally love living Las Vegas

Cons

Many of the cons that other reviews have listed are true. I don't agree with anyone who says the work isn't challenging, however. Firstly, you it does not feel as though the company cares too much about the employees. Konami does the bare minimum for employees. For example, our desk names tags are just pieces of paper printed out and folded in half. If anyone gets promoted they don't even print an updated name tag for you. You would have to write your new title on the paper yourself. It's pretty sad. During the summer when all of this construction was taking place our break room that was covered in dust and insects. The conditions had to be an OSHA violation. It wasn't until someone complained that a new break room opened up for us to use that I wasn't even aware of. These are just a few examples but there are plenty more that I can name. The tools we use are outdated and buggy. There's little documentation available so you have to rely on others to figure a lot of things out. Our development and release process is highly error prone, and management often lacks effective communication skills so you pretty much have to learn things the hard way through a lot trial and error. The problem is that through making those mistakes that you aren't even aware you are making you are inevitably impacting your yearly review so you pretty much get screwed over for making honest mistakes. Management also continually fails to accept responsibility and will blame others who aren't even in the position to defend themselves.

16 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent rank and file, but completely cruel and useless management.

Apr 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid on time and sometimes you don't have to deal with management. Pretty much everything except for the corporate culture is alright there.

Cons

Where to start? Konami just went through a pretty brutal layoff about a month ago. Every department was axed. The CEO filed everyone into one big room and told us that we had to can these people because the company was still profitable, but not as profitable as it was last year. He refused to answer questions from the few employees who actually had them. At the same time, he said that they needed to create money to hire new people in Games R&D. Only they laid off at least half a dozen employees in Games R&D. This is after the department busted their tails to meet the annual goal despite a huge shortage - from a lot of people leaving over the past fiscal year. Games R&D overachieved despite being hamstrung at every turn by management's inability to find and retain quality people, and they were rewarded by getting a few of their comrades canned because the CEO thinks the company isn't making enough money. And to top it all off, he basically told every other department that they should be mad at Games R&D for the layoffs. After saying goodbye to everyone in the room, he told us to take solace in the fact that the company is still profitable. As if that's what we care about when this is how it treats us. I agree with previous reviewers: this company thinks that every single person is replaceable. Everything about the work culture here is so strange and rigid. Micromanagement abounds at all levels. Taking time off is frowned upon, even though it's both your legal right and part of your benefits. The executive management has an entirely separate enclave, with their own elevator and everything. You'll see one or two of them occasionally walking around the halls, but that's it. They have a big underground parking garage that's for their use only. Everyone else is expected to park out in the sun with not even tin shading. You can stand in the parking lot and look at all the adjacent office buildings and all of them have covered parking. Except for Konami. And after the layoff they put a couple of security guys down there to protect their expensive cars in case someone came in with a tire iron or something. The rank and file employees are smart and decent people. Even the first level of management is largely OK, but even they have only stayed so long because they've started to internalize the bizarre thinking of management. Ask people how long they've been working here and you'll be surprised to find how many have only been here for a year or less.

28 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

In need of severe improvement

May 21, 2018 - Sales Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

Konami gaming needs to improve. There is unfortunately a deep cultural divide which may have something to do with the Japan based corporate style. One director level employee (C.W.) was promoted to a VP level role and was not deserving. Perhaps his DBZ hair preference had something to do with the promotion.

Cons

I worked at Konami Gaming for 9+ years, and in all the time that I was there...I found that certain individuals received a fast track over others based on personal preference or nepotism rather than raw added value/performance.

11 people found this review helpful