Kong Reviews

Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Company, Awesome People

Jan 20, 2021 - Builder
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a good company if you're entrepreneurial, customer-minded, and interested in building

Cons

If you're looking for tons of internal resources, need direction, or want roads paved for you, this might not be a great fit. It's a place that is fast-moving and made for the ambitious.

VP, People

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your opinions here! It's great to hear that you're still bullish after three years with Kong. You've seen and been part of a great deal of change and for that we're grateful. "Building" is a really good description of what we're tasked with everyday. As you know, we have the appetite to do the hard things, so please, please be sure to give us your feedback through Peakon, your manager, or directly to me about the internal resources that you believe will help you and the rest of our Kongers. It's a journey for sure! Thanks again for your insight.

2. 2.0
    Current Employee

Declining startup

Dec 8, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product built by an amazing engineering team. Supportive peers that are willing to take time out of their day to help you on any issues with the code base.

Cons

Lack of support for folks within. Other companies offer employees compensation for setting up remote offices. Kong offers nothing. Benefits are lackluster and declining. As mentioned in an earlier review, political posturing is rampant on the executive level. For an early stage company, this is a red flag. Their egotistic management style force teams to focus on short-term goals, setting many of them up for failure in the long haul. We saw an exodus of great talent during these COVID months to companies with better pay and culture.

8 people found this review helpful

VP, People

Thank you for taking the time to write this. We take all feedback seriously and the points you raised gave me pause. I’m hopeful that you have had these conversations within your management team, as this is your front line support. You are absolutely correct in your observations about change. The type of growth we’re experiencing is not ideal for everyone. Some who joined very early, experience this differently than those coming from larger companies who see Kong as smaller and agile. And yes, while some are leaving, many great engineers are joining. We very much hate to see people go, but at the end of the day it's a personal decision as to what stage company suits one best. Our philosophy is to continuously enrich our compensation, benefits and advancement opportunities as we grow and reach our success milestones. We were able to positively impact compensation for over 90% of eligible Kongers this cycle, and promote 38 people within the last year. Growth along with competitive pay, no matter where in the world the team is located, is vitally important to us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly, or to your department leader to discuss your personal situation. If you prefer to stay anonymous, we can converse through the new engagement tool we recently launched. We hope to hear from you soon. Janet From GTT (VP Eng): I take all feedback seriously, and I’m sorry to hear about your concerns. It’s also encouraging to hear that you feel that the team is strong, and your peers are supportive. It would be helpful to understand more about your areas of concern and if you don’t feel comfortable raising them to your manager (or if you already have and don’t feel they were heard) I’d encourage you to reach out to me directly. I’d love to chat about what you think could be better. In addition, as mentioned above, we now have tools that allow anonymous discussions if you would feel more comfortable addressing this there.

3. 5.0

Own it!

Jan 14, 2021 - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- - - Have a clear growth trajectory - Mentorship - Worklife balance

Cons

- Growing fast! - Mostly white males

VP, People

Hello Konger! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review here. I love the title-and little did you know that it would become the "O" in GRUCEO :-) Indeed we are growing fast and we thank you for being part of our journey. I hope that your time permits so that you can take part on our DE&I efforts. We need all hands on deck to continue our positive momentum. While we're doing pretty well on Cultural Diversity (26 countries and counting) and age diversity, we still have good work to do. We welcome your voice and ideas. Thanks again for posting.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of the hottest startups in the market. Sexy product. Fantastic leadership.

Mar 2, 2020 - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highest caliber of leadership in the market. Open source solution is LOVED by technical folks Best comp plan in the market. Quota is reasonable, highest base rate commission in the software space. Love the culture. A bunch of "can-do" people who are fun and positive. They want to win and they want YOU to win. Seem to be hitting a critical mass - the ball is starting to roll down the hill and gain momentum. Kong is starting to get more recognition and respect in the market, getting free PR from places like Forbes or Inc. and are recruiting away the number one reps from their competition.

Cons

Operating in a highly competitive market with lots of players, so the work can be daunting at times. As with any startup, you are required to operate with flexibility in a sometimes chaotic environment. That said, the leadership at Kong is providing more vision, more resources and more structure every day.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Limitless growth potential product-led company, values the Sales org!

Sep 22, 2020 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Kong users love the product - CEO heavily invests into every org through the company - Sales productivity is a high priority top-down - Incredible product roadmap - Loaded with talent - Vibrant and inviting culture

Cons

We're in growth mode and you have to be comfortable with change.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Kong is a purposeful organization grounded in it's core values

Jan 31, 2020 - Senior Director, Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company culture, superior board of directors and VC partners, great product market fit and a humble, hard working team of founders. I interviewed with a number of pre-IPO startups and received multiple offers before selecting Kong. The reason I joined Kong was the overwhelming feeling of warmth in the company culture. The interview experience at Kong vs the others was what closed the deal. The process was efficient and did not take too long. I met with all of the executive leadership team and immediately felt that they truly cared about enhancing the culture of the organization. Everyone on the team was brilliant and passionate about the company, like every startup in Silicon Valley. The difference here was that brilliance was tempered with humility, a sense of inclusion, and a level of self awareness that is SO rare in the Bay.

Cons

As with any early stage startup, there are challenges when plotting the course to successful adoption and scale.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great core offering, major struggle in leadership to get past early stage thinking

Aug 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

OSS product is rock-solid, big adoption. Some opportunity to interact with large customers. Wonderful coworkers below exec level.

Cons

Leaders focus on politics and quick hacks to get short-term wins, not sustainable growth. This ironically hinders growth in the end. Constant customer problems. Unconcerned with employee issues. Lots of departures and burnout because of it all, pre-dates anything Covid-related.

8 people found this review helpful

Senior Director

Thank you VERY much for your candid feedback! We can certainly understand your frustrations and appreciate you voicing them. We to recognize that we have been too reactive and short term focused. We feel we have addressed customer problems by hiring a world-class post sales leader. He has already performed a 180 on our customer journey and we could not be more excited about the renewed focus on our customer's experience. In addition, our new global revenue leader has finally started and will further solidify the customer acquisition model. We have made key leadership hires in engineering, sales and post sales to address your concerns and the challenges you stated. While we can't change the current economic and social challenges, we could not be more excited about the near and long term future of our team, our culture and our customers. We wish you the best of luck and hope that the rest of 2020 proves healthy and successful for you.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Kong contains incredibly passionate, genuine and talented folks committed to our mission.

Mar 25, 2020 - Systems Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great culture - Incredibly talented folks led by inspiring leaders - Amazing products - Great work/life balance

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the lack of matching 401K and/or bonuses.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Corporate mindset is a High school mentality. This company placates negatively to millennials.

Apr 3, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Product is bleeding edge. Top Senior leadership is committed to the product

Cons

Tons and tons of turnover (at the top and beyond). The majority of the staff is overworked and HR operates with a bias, group think mindset to the point of condoning peer pressure. The good reviews here are no doubt prompted to be written by those in the “inner popular circle of things.”

10 people found this review helpful

Senior Director

Thank you for your candor and for pointing out a couple of pros. Over the course of the past 6-months we have made a concerted effort to hire according to the advice you have provided. We have made headway in engineering, sales and post-sales in both more mature and experience ICs AND leadership. Thank you for your thoughts and we wish you all the best!

10. 5.0

Super smart visionary company

Oct 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture Unlimited vacation policy Cutting edge technology Good work/life balance Visionary leaders

Cons

Typical startup challenges - hard to keep up with pace of change

Be the first to find this review helpful