Kong Reviews

Found 58 of over 63 reviews

4.2
Kong CEO Augusto Marietti
Augusto Marietti

What people are saying about Kong

Join the conversation on

Tech

207.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Kong~801963
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0

Fast growth

May 17, 2022 - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very fast growing company in GTM and R&D. Lots of new teams being put together, releasing new products, lots of activity and energy. Lots of nice people with low egos.

Cons

Growing pains come along with growing in general. Distributed teams and remote friendly but also spanning across a lot of time zones.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company that lives up to its values

Mar 22, 2022 - Senior Marketing Campaign Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Career growth has been amazing (in 3 years I've been promoted twice with significant pay bumps) - Marketing team is creative, skilled and humble - Strong leadership that has taken previous companies public! - The only place I've experience true work/life balance

Cons

Typical growing pains of moving from startup mode and into pre-IPO. But we have more specialized folks coming in and we're continually working on having transparency across the board.

3. 5.0

Phenomenal business with MASSIVE potential

Dec 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This business is in many ways sub-optimized, with a lot of opportunity being left on the table (products to address these opps are still in ideation or development stage), and yet it is still growing at a torrid pace. Market opportunity is almost limitless. API-first is today and the future, and Kong is at the forefront of that. Recent hiring spree of top tier execs reflect humility in founders to do what's best for the business to ensure it reaches its potential. They are not afraid to make tough decisions and bring in the right people to help Kong scale.

Cons

Honestly, none that I can think of.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Timing is everything at Kong!

Sep 13, 2021 - Commercial Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been at Kong for over 3.5 years. I’ve seen the company go through a lot of ups and downs (life of a start up) But I’m really happy with my current leaders and team. I feel they have my back and do whatever they can to make me successful. My colleagues on my team are such team players. We help each other and critique each other to get better. We’re always sharing our success whether closing a deal or booking a meeting in a target account. I have to say our new comp plan is amazing! I have never seen or heard such a lucrative comp plan like this. Everyone on my team have a great chance on making some good money! Our time is coming, more and more companies are leveraging microservices. You don’t want to miss this wave!

Cons

Kong is a very technical sale. You really have to do lots of studying to ramp up. Microservices and service mesh is very complicated. If you have the grit to work hard and be patient, you will do great.

VP, People

What incredibly valuable feedback! Thank you for taking the time to write. Indeed, you have seen a lot, and contributed to our growth and maturity too. We're certainly not done (maybe never done?) but as you say, it's a journey. Wise words on the advice around the technical aspects of Kong. With our expanded Enablement team, our hope is that we can continue to make learning fun, bite sized and effective. Thanks again for taking the time to write, and for your years with Kong.

5. 5.0

Great Place! Growing and Scaling

Dec 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Kong is an amazing place for builders, not coasters. - "Own It" is key. You can take the ball and run with things and know you'll make an impact - The company just met with nearly 200 Kongers to learn how we can improve. Waiting on the results, but people feel heard. - Kong's outlook is very, very good.

Cons

- We're growing fast. Sometimes new things take time to shake out. - We need to hire faster to handle the increasing workload.

VP, People

Thank you so much for the feedback! It's so helpful to hear the perspectives of Kongers who have been here for different periods of time. You have seen a lot of change and your comments around "time to shake things out" are so true. Please know that you have a direct line to provide ideas and feedback. It's how we get better. Since your post, we did a read-out on the check-ins. It was really, really great data and as a result we have a rich roadmap ahead!

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Product/Leadership Direction

Mar 28, 2022 - Sales Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great market opportunity and community following

Cons

C suite fails to identify and maintain strong sales leadership. Engineering is under new leadership now but missed a huge opportunity to capitalize on SAAS revenue and monetize current offering.

Senior Director

Thank you for the note and appreciate your excitement around the market opportunity and community following. We certainly have the community with over 250million downloads! With that said, I wanted to respond to the "cons" that you stated. Quite frankly, I completely disagree with you on both of the points you have made. Our sales team and it's leaders are driving 70% YoY growth and our leadership attrition is non-existent. We are recruiting on a couple of key leadership roles but will not settle for anything less than great right now. We have the utmost confidence in the team that we have and we look forward to adding additional strength in this area as we scale. Second, I'm unclear what huge opportunity you feel has been missed on the SaaS side of the house. Our SaaS platform, Konnect, has been in beta for about 6-months with a number of our enterprise customers. The goal of launching the GA platform this Spring is still on track. In addition to the investments we are making in the SaaS platform, we have doubled down on the current, enterprise gateway offering. We have since integrated 2 additional enterprise products being Kuma (our service mesh) and Insomnia (our enterprise API testing platform). Our engineering team is amazing, we have doubled the team in size in the past 12-months and continue to expand. Stay tuned for the next 12-months and you will see continued growth and investment in both sales and engineering!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Execution, Execution, Execution

Dec 15, 2021 - Engineering
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Large opportunity ahead. Pre-IPO company. * Strong technology that drives the GTM motion. * Many low-hanging fruits that - when addressed - can skyrocket growth.

Cons

* Many low-hanging fruits that have not been addressed. * As the company grows, it's important that we are able to create new products that can increase the overall revenue growth. Today, we need to do a better job at integrating these new products into the sales motion. * Continued focus on execution with obsession to the product and customer experience is needed. This is not a laid back environment (and it shouldn't be).

8. 5.0

Great place to work

Feb 8, 2022 - Machine Operator in Golden, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really felt like they take care of you

Cons

Can be strict with attendance

VP, People

Hello! So glad you commented on your employer's care, however I think you have posted in the wrong Kong profile. Believe you're looking for the Kong Company in Golden Co, the the one and only dog food/toy company.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

For the ambitious and growth minded

Oct 14, 2021 - mktg
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a self-starter culture, not bureaucratic. There are ups and downs like with any startup, but strong talent rises fast and ineffective leaders are dealt with quickly. There is more opportunity to move horizontally than I would have expected. Lots of great things being done for customers.

Cons

Operating growing pains and thin areas in the business can make things more challenging than they need to be. Too many competing priorities at times.

2 people found this review helpful

VP, People

I truly love and appreciate your thoughtful feedback. We aim to fully recognize great performance, and as you've seen, we have had to deal with some who were poor fits for Kong and where we are on our mutual journey. Being kind and open to feedback (bi-directional) is super critical. Fully agree with your advice. Would be helpful to learn more about where the visibility gaps are. Please feel free to ping me directly or with your management team so we can address. Thank you!

10. 3.0

Good pay and benefits

Feb 15, 2022 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, benefits, unlimited PTO, flexible hours

Cons

No 401k matching, chaotic, little cross-team communication

VP, People

Hi Konger! Thank you for posting your feedback. I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on the comms and visibility, as well as other areas of concern. You've been through a number of key changes and your perspective will help us get better. Please ping me directly if you are inclined to discuss your thoughts further. Thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 58 Reviews
</>Embed

Kong Reviews FAQs

Kong has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 63 reviews left anonymously by employees. 81% of employees would recommend working at Kong to a friend and 89% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Kong employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Kong. This rating has improved by 11% over the last 12 months.

81% of Kong employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Kong 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Kong to be benefits, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Kong Job Seekers