Kong Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2020

4.5
Kong CEO Augusto Marietti
Augusto Marietti

"Kong contains incredibly passionate, genuine and talented folks committed to our mission."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Kong full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great culture - Incredibly talented folks led by inspiring leaders - Amazing products - Great work/life balance

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the lack of matching 401K and/or bonuses.

Kong2020-03-25
  2. "One of the hottest startups in the market. Sexy product. Fantastic leadership."

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kong full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highest caliber of leadership in the market. Open source solution is LOVED by technical folks Best comp plan in the market. Quota is reasonable, highest base rate commission in the software space. Love the culture. A bunch of "can-do" people who are fun and positive. They want to win and they want YOU to win. Seem to be hitting a critical mass - the ball is starting to roll down the hill and gain momentum. Kong is starting to get more recognition and respect in the market, getting free PR from places like Forbes or Inc. and are recruiting away the number one reps from their competition.

Cons

Operating in a highly competitive market with lots of players, so the work can be daunting at times. As with any startup, you are required to operate with flexibility in a sometimes chaotic environment. That said, the leadership at Kong is providing more vision, more resources and more structure every day.

Kong2020-03-02
  3. "Corporate mindset is a High school mentality. This company placates negatively to millennials."

1.0

I worked at Kong full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product is bleeding edge. Top Senior leadership is committed to the product

Cons

Tons and tons of turnover (at the top and beyond). The majority of the staff is overworked and HR operates with a bias, group think mindset to the point of condoning peer pressure. The good reviews here are no doubt prompted to be written by those in the “inner popular circle of things.”

Kong2020-04-03
  4. "Kong is a purposeful organization grounded in it's core values"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Talent Acquisition in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kong full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong company culture, superior board of directors and VC partners, great product market fit and a humble, hard working team of founders. I interviewed with a number of pre-IPO startups and received multiple offers before selecting Kong. The reason I joined Kong was the overwhelming feeling of warmth in the company culture. The interview experience at Kong vs the others was what closed the deal. The process was efficient and did not take too long. I met with all of the executive leadership team and immediately felt that they truly cared about enhancing the culture of the organization. Everyone on the team was brilliant and passionate about the company, like every startup in Silicon Valley. The difference here was that brilliance was tempered with humility, a sense of inclusion, and a level of self awareness that is SO rare in the Bay.

Cons

As with any early stage startup, there are challenges when plotting the course to successful adoption and scale.

Kong2020-01-31
  5. "Super smart visionary company"

I have been working at Kong full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture Unlimited vacation policy Cutting edge technology Good work/life balance Visionary leaders

Cons

Typical startup challenges - hard to keep up with pace of change

Kong2019-10-03

"Awesome Company and Culture"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kong full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The culture is genuinely awesome 2. Big opportunities to grow for junior and mid-level folks 3. The product is best in class 4. Highly talented team across all functions 5. Executives are a great blend of experienced operators and high energy innovators

Cons

Standard growing pains for a high growth tech company

Kong2019-02-22

June 5, 2019Director of Employee Engagement and Talent Programs

Thanks for your feedback. We’re working hard to make Kong a great place to work, and we’re glad you love working here.

7. "Great people & product!"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Kong full-time

Pros

Fast paced. Lots to learn and do. Great leadership team.

Cons

Distributed team can make it challenging to find ways to best work together

Kong2019-02-13

June 5, 2019Director of Employee Engagement and Talent Programs

We’re happy to hear you appreciate the leadership team and are enjoying working at Kong. As you know, we had our entire company work from home for two weeks, to truly understand the difficulties (and benefits) of working remotely. We learned so much from this experiment and have incorporated many of these learnings into new ways of working with other Kongers. Stay tuned for even more focus on this topic!

"Wonderful company culture with many opportunities for growth."

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Web Developer in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Kong full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leadership and coworkers form a team with a wide breadth of experiences, which lends well to day-to-day problem solving. Company culture is warm and supportive, and company heads seem strongly invested in the well-being and growth of their employees. Leaders are very hand-on and involved, never seeming detached from any part of the company at large. Nature of the work means every day is a learning experience, and this experience is fostered and encouraged by all- in my time with Kong I have grown more than at any other employer. The work can move fast at times, but the pacing is never inapprorpriate. Even the smallest victories are celebrated, there is a general aura of positivity office-wide that I believe will only breed further success.

Cons

Company is growing rapidly and may experience a few growing pains/hiccups along the way- however they have demonstrated repeatedly that they have the flexibility to continue pushing ever forward.

Kong2019-01-22

June 5, 2019Director of Employee Engagement and Talent Programs

We know that the culture and values of a company is a top predictor of workplace satisfaction, so we have put a lot of thought and energy into making sure our company is a great place to work. It’s gratifying to hear that you think Kong has a wonderful company culture. We know we’re growing rapidly and are working hard to manage the growth and minimize the growing pains that are part of the process.

"Time To Grow Up"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kong full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kong is lucky enough to build on an excellent technical platform. That has made growth and feature development very easy. The open source community is supportive and engaging. There is opportunity for Kong to move from a small startup into a capital player within the industry. An open vacation policy is honestly held. I've never felt pressure or discouragement when trying to balance work and family life. Remote communication is largely kept as a priority, especially among engineering staff.

Cons

Accelerated pace of growth and divergence between core engineering values and the demands of customers has contributed to a lopsided set of products and a divergence between the open source and enterprise versions of the software. The organization is at a point now where it must choose between the pace of development, and building a stable and reliable platform as an enterprise software solution. Leadership in engineering is a source of consternation for a lot of folks on staff. This is the kind of person that will say something that they think you want to hear when you present a problem, if only to mute the conversation and pacify the moment. There is a a feeling among the engineering staff of disregard for engineers' opinions, particularly from management and the VP level. Rank and file members of the org often do not feel heard, and when there's an opportunity to bring their concerns to management, those concerns are pacified and nullified without any path forward. A lot of siloing and inter-team bickering exists within engineering teams. Very little developer documentation is written, and inter-team communication continues to atrophy. Forward progress is stymied by a lack of willingness to invest to solutions that will not stagnate and develop tech debt interest, and the constant pace of change from the leading engineering team means that other development teams are left in the dust with no documentation or communication about how to merge legacy and novel functionality. Sales and support staff are left in the dark about feature development, timelines, and parity between enterprise and open-source solutions. Due to the substantial technical debt accrued its very difficult for engineers to take individual efforts to break down walls and move the enterprise product forward. Communication between product management, engineering, and support/sales staff has suffered for months, and the divide continues to grow worse as the company scales out.

Kong2018-11-10

June 19, 2019Director of Employee Engagement and Talent Programs

We want you to know that engineering is deeply respected at Kong and crucial to our success. It’s critical to us that we support our engineering teams in every way that we possibly can. If you feel comfortable, I would welcome speaking with you individually to address your concerns.

"Great People + great Products = an Amzing Company"

Current Employee - Customer Success Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kong full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kong is a totally fun place to work. Don't get me wrong, you will always be busy, but you'll be busy doing really fun and groundbreaking stuff. As someone who covers support tickets, whenever I'm not sure about something or need a deeper explanation, there is always someone available to help. This really makes my role much easier. I also really like how the customers consider themselves partners. I think a lot of that comes from our Open Source background. Speaking of Open Source, lots of Open Source companies allow you to see the code but never accept PRs from nonemployees. Not at all the case with Kong. Kong really cares about its community members and that really goes a long way.

Cons

Kong's employees are spread out the entire globe. Generally speaking, this is a good thing. I have it listed under Cons though because it does mean that there are times you'll want to ask a specific person a question, but know they won't be awake for while.

Kong2018-11-08