Kongsberg Gruppen Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 126 reviews

3.6
Walter Qvam
Pros
Cons
  • "The rules are not the same for employees working outside of Norway and it has nothing to do with the government benefits(in 11 reviews)

• "affected by the oil and gas downturn(in 6 reviews)

1. "DP System Support Engineer"

Former Employee - DP Systems Support Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun and relaxing office environment in an open settings. No cubes. Staff is very friendly and social. Great benefits. Service trips are fast paced and adventurous. Great benefits.

Cons

Job requires a lot of travel upwards of 30%-70% sometimes on weekends. Limited upwards movement in company. Limited opportunity for engineering design.

Advice to Management

I do not have any recommendations. I enjoyed the position and would recommend the job to anyone. Because the job can be demanding, find a way to retain employees.

Kongsberg Gruppen2016-01-01
  2. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, great work environment

Cons

not much opportunity for growth

Kongsberg Gruppen2018-10-16

"Recently reorganized to Kongsberg Digital AS"

Current Employee - Sales in North Easton, MA

I have been working at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and good emplyees in some regions.

Cons

You can only be part of the Leadership team if you are Norwegian. Helps if you have worked for Microsoft, no matter what your skill set is. The rules are not the same for employees working outside of Norway and it has nothing to do with the government benefits. Many customers have complained of an arrogant attitude. Behind the curve with respect to technology.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for the right job. Apply the same rules for all employees. Listen to the customer. Do not discriminate with respect to age, race or culture. Hire smart people and get out of their way as opposed to providing zero autonomy.

Kongsberg Gruppen2018-04-24

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits all paid by employer for entire family, great vacation and sick time. Pay is competitive, but you must know how much you are worth. Great people to work with, with different backgrounds

Cons

Transparency: seems like things are ok but company is having struggles. affected by the oil and gas downturn

Advice to Management

none

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-11-12
  5. "Great company and still is."

Former Employee - Control Systems Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great office atmosphere. My manager and Lead engineer are always in the loop- part of the job accomplishment process. Get together lunch and Friday ice cream socials is the norm. Learned the ropes of the Control system engineer job in a few months and I was able to take on challenging jobs. Had to leave because of family member health issues.

Cons

Any company hit by the oil price- down will make unfavorable decisions- just had to understand the nature of this business. Just cant understand why KM, with its solid niche in drill rig control system tech, cannot appy it on other market industries

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-08-19
  6. "What used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time

Pros

When I started, the family atmosphere was amazing. We worked hard and had a good time. The benefits were good, and the pay was decent. I've heard the health insurance (the way it is now) will likely be reduced soon.

Cons

The terrible oil market made it a cut-throat environment. People started stabbing each other in the back to get ahead, and the family atmosphere and overall joy have been sucked out of the company. The good old boys that have been with the company forever and people who are friends with the HR person get treated completely differently than everyone else. Good people were either passed over or sent packing, even if...

Advice to Management

Review your unprofessional HR practices, and don't ever promise to keep a certain number of people.

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-07-17
  7. "Logistics Coordinator"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management & very unique culture

Cons

No growth, hardly any training

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-02-02
  8. "Good with a chance to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Darrow, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere was not like any other that I had ever experienced. The fact that the company was as large as it was and still held that "family atmosphere" made the decisions to go to work everyday an easy one.

Cons

The majority of the management is somewhat incompetent. I don't believe that any of them had ever really managed people before.

Advice to Management

Seek some additional training on how to interact with your employees, and remember that if you take care of your employees, they will take care of you.

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-01-11
  9. "Service Engineer"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Excellent benefits -Flexible for additional time off -Decent hourly compensation

Cons

-Long hours -Last minute travel Current industry outlook does not look very good in the short term. Also, there is the likely event that another downturn can cause the same issues in the company again later. Lack of long term promotional opportunities.

Advice to Management

Company needs to be more proactive in order to survive another down turn. Also the management treats the traveling engineers, the life blood of the company, as disposable units and this needs to be changed in order to improve the company's work.

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-01-22

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Kongsberg Gruppen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great when times are great in the industry. Used to be a great place to work and great people to be around.

Cons

Cycle industry. Kongsberg spends money like they print it in the back room when times are good. This could have been better used to have more cash for when times are bad.

Advice to Management

Be concerned that this website is the only place to get feedback. Make better decisions for the long term for everyone.

Kongsberg Gruppen2017-01-09