Kool Smiles Reviews | Glassdoor

Kool Smiles Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Kool Smiles has a very important mission: to provide high quality dental care to poor children (in 18 reviews)

• Kool Smiles allows a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge (in 5 reviews)

• Working in a call center is a less favorable environment to work in (in 7 reviews)

1. "Area Dental Director - VASE"

Current Employee - Area Dental Director in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Area Dental Director in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Truly mission driven. Stability. Clear expectations. Massive support team in place to be successful. Core values are easily witnessed (Quality, Compassion, Diversity, Teamwork, Integrity, and FUN!)

Cons

Need adaptability - constantly implementing change to make company wide improvements.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive for excellence and provide the necessary support.

2. "Expanded Team"

Current Employee - Expanded Services PC in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Expanded Services PC in El Paso, TX

Pros

Like working with the OS team and traveling to the office. new to position and team member help me when I have questions.

Cons

Some parent don't understand how important taking care of your teeth is and don't show to appointment or CX

Advice to Management

Like the feedback Chrissie gives me and how I can improve myself.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Greenville, SC

Pros

Is a job that let you help others, interacting with different cultures, love working with kids

Cons

Love everything
    Sometimes is sad to see kids in pain but we help them with that

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

4. "Dentist"

Current Employee - State Dental Director in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - State Dental Director in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good teamwork & communication with partner doctor, office manager and assistants.
    - Autonomy in dentistry as a doctor.
    - Clear company policy in dentistry as well as office management.
    -Good training and continuous learning opportunity.

Cons

- have to accept specific insurance.
    - considerable workload. (in some part, can be good experience for the new dentists)

Advice to Management

I believe it is possible to build up smarter time schedule for patients if call center cooperates with each office.

5. "Clinical Leadership"

Current Employee - Clinical Leadership in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Leadership in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kool Smiles (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dedicated mission to provide access to care for those who do not have availability of dental care

Cons

None that I have to offer.

6. "Kool Smiles is missions driven"

Current Employee - Dentist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Dentist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with Kool Smiles for about 6+ years. I enjoy working here because it feels like I work with family, as you become united when you join together for a greater purpose, which at Kool Smiles is for the mission of providing quality dental care to under served communities. I really enjoy everyone with whom I work and it's a great feeling to know that what I do makes a difference.

Cons

As with any job, there are good days and bad days but I think it helps to know that the overall vision of what we do is positive.

7. "Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

I've been with Kool Smiles over a year now. It was a great switch for me!! I, like most, came from retail. The cut in work hours & travel time, huge difference in work- life balance, set schedule, always home by 5:30PM, standard benefits, corporate free visits, and the list goes on... makes for a satisfying change for me.

Cons

Less stress environment = less pay. More vacation time would be nice. 401K match is 50% of up to 6% (so 3% MAX). However this is pretty standard.

Advice to Management

Only reason I gave 2 stars for career opportunities is because office managers can't really move up unless their ABL leaves or you want to move to GA to work at the home office.

8. "dental hygienist"

Former Employee - Dental Hygienist in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Dental Hygienist in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Kool Smiles part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Providing care for underprivileged clientele in a fast paced work environment. Working with a team of dental providers and staff.

Cons

difficult scheduling accommodations and broken appointment issues. Early and late appointments VERY busy but not busy from mid to late morning until after school hours.

Advice to Management

Employee scheduling to accommodate busy patient flow and non busy patient flow timing.

9. "proud"

Current Employee - Clinical Team Leader in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Leader in New Bedford, MA

Pros

the interaction with people of different ages and backgrounds makes it an awesome experience.
    our ability to see different kinds of insurances allows us to reach out a wide diversity of people to provide the service needed. we as a company have a great compliance system that allows us to serve in a save environment for our patients and employees. I am proud of our company for the recognition that we as employees get for the dedication and commitment shown to the patients and to taking care of what has bin entrusted to us in our offices. also our reach for the community has grown with the implementation of special services like ortho, endo and oral surgery making us a one stop with many services.

Cons

not able to take time off when family is of.

Advice to Management

keep striving for excellence utilizing core values and inspiring all that surround you !!!

10. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Ortho- Area Team Lead in Tidewater, VA
    Current Employee - Ortho- Area Team Lead in Tidewater, VA

I have been working at Kool Smiles full-time

Pros

I have worked at KS for 5 years and love it here. We care about our patients and we are here for the communities that we serve. Each of our leadership teams care about their employees. There is room to grow with KS. KS is great for finding internal talent and promoting from within if possible. I started as an Assistant, promoted to Clinical Leader, then OM, and currently I am an Area Lead with our Ortho teams.

Cons

Work / life balance is a continuous struggle, but it is manageable. A lower insurance deductible would be nice.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize the employees that are going above and beyond on a daily basis to help our patients or team members. I enjoyed the team building outing that we recently had in our area for the Drs and Leadership. It would be nice to do this once a quarter and sometimes maybe have the Drs vote for one person from the staff to join.