Koorsen Fire & Security Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Randall R. Koorsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company to work for with great customer care (in 4 reviews)

• Family owned, Stable work, It is the top of the Industry in many of the Fire Industry Fields (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You think you can depend on a manager to listen but in our branch only certain people get to voice any opinions (in 2 reviews)

• At our branch 10 the management seems to want to treat the techs like their lower (in 2 reviews)

1. "Koorsen is corporately well ran with good core values and a nice small family business close knit feel."

Current Employee - Special Hazards Inspection Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Special Hazards Inspection Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Koorsen's community connections and involvement within the industry help make it a great workplace for every employee. Koorsen offers a good base for employees to get started in this industry.

Cons

Competitive pay isn't relevant to the industry. Standards between coworkers and experience level are not set. Company morale between technicians is not present, work initiative varies day by day between employees.

Advice to Management

Pay scale structure and overall morale improvement would greatly improve turn around time on efficiency of workers.

2. "Sprinkler inspector"

Former Employee - Sprinkler Inspector in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sprinkler Inspector in Louisville, KY

I worked at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The techs were good people. Koorsen is a good stepping stone to a better career in the same field.

Cons

Management uses and lies to their employees, empty promises and shady antics. I was "too valuable to move up" but not valuable enough to pay as such. They make even their techs sign a non compete contract, what reason would a tech have to leave if they were treated accordingly. Also what proprietary information does the employer risk with a tech leaving for a better career? They do NOT conduct business according to their "core values" that they preach.

Advice to Management

Treat your techs as if they are an investment instead of a disposable good.

3. "I cannot put into words how blind our manager is to anyone outside of his click,"

Current Employee - Technician in Newark, OH
    Current Employee - Technician in Newark, OH

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still thinking. You want me to use twenty words. I cannot come up with that many. If I could find a way to tell The employee help line without it getting back to my manager I would use it. But it is hard to trust anyone.

Cons

It is a backstabbing environment most of the time. You think you can depend on a manager to listen but in our branch only certain people get to voice any opinions.

Advice to Management

Pay attention when people are talking to you and stop changing the subject to avoid a discussion that needs to happen.

4. "Good Place to work"

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security (More than a year)

Pros

People are mostly easy to get along with.

Cons

New program should have been planed better.

5. "Most trusted Company with local & National AHJ'S"

Current Employee - Sprinkler Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sprinkler Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with great customer care

Cons

None they continue to exceed customers expectations

Advice to Management

Continue employee development and customer focus

6. "DYNAMIC & SOLVENT COMPANY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great! Professional yet friendly and approachable.

Different groups often work together forming a unified front to provide customers with a quality product and quality service.

Basic knowledge of the industry is a plus but they will train the right individual(s).

You may have to be willing to take another position until another position opens up. Advancement opportunities seem relatively steady.

Pleasant work environment, professionally casual attire is acceptable, some employees have uniforms, which I find a plus.

Uniform allowance.

Free coffee!

Cons

Nepotism is rampant.

Some pay scales seem to be motivated by nepotism.

Turnover seems higher than other places I have worked at.

Discrepancies over pay increases at time of review are inconsistent across the board.

Raises are lacking or mediocre

Advice to Management

Follow up on hallway conversations regarding future career opportunities.

Be careful of pigeon-holing employees into dead end jobs.

Don't dangle a carrot without offering a taste of the carrot. In other words don't suggest promotions are obtainable when someone has already been pre-selected for an advancement opportunity.

7. "All day every day!"

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff. Flexible hours. Nice working environment. No micromanagement.

Cons

Not nearly enough PTO time, employees are working too much and do not have enough time for their families leaving the employee feeling stressed and overworked. The point system is childish and should be voided. Training is a huge battle. It is very hard to get the training you need to do the task needed for your daily duties. The new system is horrible and I can see a loss of employees due to it.

Advice to Management

There are so many employees who are doing so much, while others are doing very little. This goes unnoticed. Managers are very busy, but try to pay attention and you will see who makes the office operate at ease.

8. "Employee review"

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment, great pay and benefits.

Cons

Need better communications between upper management and branches.

9. "Technician"

Current Employee - Systems Technician
    Current Employee - Systems Technician

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting job sites. Lucky to curently have good local managers. I really like the work 95% of the time and to be fair the other 5% is just due to challenging job sites.

Cons

No pay scale makes it hard or impossible to plan financially for the future. It seems the main incentive for employees is to move "up" to management of some kind. Most of us simply want fair pay for fair work. I personally can't imagine leaving the field and being hands on for at least another decade if ever.
     Turnover rate is ridiculous.
     There doesn't seem to be very much unity between branches and this is very apparent between corporate and branches. Sometimes local customers need more personal attention that may need to bypass corporate rules.

Advice to Management

Establish a pay scale that competes with other companies of the same trade across all branches. Not just in competition with whatever may immediately be local to a branch of any. I also think payscale for technicians should be similar to ibew pay scales, the NFPA controls rules for both but we have higher personal liabilities. Training programs are good but should be aggressively incorporated into accelerating technicians through the ranks of both ability and pay scale. There seems to be personnel lingering everywhere that are stuck in some kind of job limbo. Neither demoted or promoted but given positions more tailored to tenure and less to contribution. I feel there is a substantial amount of payroll that has little to possibly negative return on investment in this regard.

"Good and bad about Koorsen"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Koorsen Fire & Security full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO given to you. The training and the training center is good. People as in managers and corporate employees seem to be nice .

Cons

At our branch 10 the management seems to want to treat the techs like their lower. Been told we are not allowed to talk to anyone in the office. I have friends in the office and I thank it good for all to comunacate with each other from time to time . I do understand some abuses and is sometimes loud talking or just plain wasting time while someone else is trying to work but they should be taken to the side and delt with. Certain employees do what they want. Also if we have dress codes and rules about facial hair and long hair like pony tails this should be upheld.

Advice to Management

I'm no body to give advice for someone about this issue .