Koppers Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Koppers Holdings President, CEO, and Director Walter W. Turner
Walter W. Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Inconsistent Company, No Employee Value!"

Former Employee - General Laborer in Galesburg, IL
    Former Employee - General Laborer in Galesburg, IL

I worked at Koppers Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits but it takes time to get the good pay. Its a job.

Cons

Company does not care about there employees. All male work force unless a office employee. Company spends more time trying to fire people then considering peoples work records . Perfect attendance for 15 plus years and clean work record have no value. Company does not follow policies when it comes to each employee. They wont even consider most employees point of view or explanation. Some people have bad work records and get special treatment, while others with good records get nothing. Very harsh work environment. Plant manager will not stand up for his workers. Very low employee moral due to everything listed.

Advice to Management

Treat every employee the same. Consider a employee's work record. Remember that not all employees are out to get the company. Listen to the employee before you draw a conclusion on disciplinary action especially when a guy has a perfect work record. Follow the procedures you put in place. Dont assume all employees are substance impaired. Dont treat employees as there guilty until proven innocent. If you want respect you have to give respect. Spend less money terminating people. A good work record should matter to you! Its less costly to appreciate your good help and retain them. Dont make it your goal to destroy your employees lives whom were always 100% dedicated to your company.

2. "Bad place to work"

Former Employee - Management in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Koppers Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None I can think of.

Cons

Management is clueless and doesn't listen to employees

Advice to Management

Show some respect for your dedicated employees and not just the young people that will leave in two years.

3. "Stay away"

Pros

The pay and some of the people. Beyond that not much else. For the most part we wrote our own paycheck.

Cons

Where to start. Upper management does not have a clue. What company worth their salt would close the only plant that runs year round and makes them money. The last two are money pits that are down most of the winter or a complete mess. Yes this company would spend money but they never spent it on anything worthwhile. Build a process to tear it down a year later, waste money on equipment that was garbage. This company's biggest accomplishment was tearing down half the plant. Safety well the safety program worked when someone had a near miss or actually got hurt. As hourly employees we did our part as safely as we could but when you bring a major safety problem to their attention it was ignored either until the employee refused to do their job because of the safety violation or someone finally got hurt.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a company. Shutting down the only plant that does not lose money was a very bad business decision. When you are kicking yourself later for this decision just remember that it's too late. You had a crew and plant that, as small as we were, did nothing but bring in money. You had a crew and plant that when something happened to the other two, was asked to pick up their slack and we did it and our own work everytime. With the decisions you seem to make I give you 5-10 years before all of your plants are closed unless someone with a better head on their shoulders starts making decisions.

4. "upper management running company into the ground"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clairton, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clairton, PA

I have been working at Koppers Holdings full-time

Pros

Pay did I say pay. that's it

Cons

closing only plant that makes money in chemical division yet leaving plant open that loses every month. no opportunity for anything unless you are in management. old ways of doing things. no sick time 2 personal days. vacation has to be used a whole week at a time except one week you can split. that week turns into your sick time so crappy vacation. extremely old and outdated systems and only upgrades are with crappy systems that don't work worth a crap. Safety is nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!! Koppers will be nonexistent in 10 years if you keep this up. besides a Pittsburgh based company and no more plants in the area HMMMMMMMMM.

5. "A Dinosaur"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Koppers Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unfortunately not too many. A lot of good people who are genuine but they will be retiring in droves so it's hard to say what the future company culture will be like in the next few years.

Cons

People in management who have no business being there. Positions are filled with bodies, not with capable and forward-thinking individuals. They are just filling space and making bad decisions. No advanced technology, no progressive policies, no flexibility. They have no intention of bringing the company into the modern world. They have no idea how to retain good employees nor attract them. There is really no reason to work at this company unless you are mediocre, then you'll fit right in.

Advice to Management

The Board should do a major sweep, get them all out and replace with competent people who know how to run a business and actually care about it.

"Great workplace"

I have been working at Koppers Holdings full-time

Pros

Wonderful and hardworking people. I enjoy coming to work every day

Cons

None that I can speak to yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

7. "Completely unprogressive, very behind the times"

I worked at Koppers Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some truly good people work here but unfortunately they are not the ones in charge.

Cons

The company does not embrace change or evolve with the times. New CEO has no vested interest in the company or making it better. Very weak and ineffective leader. Do not expect him or the company to last.

Advice to Management

Start believing in your staff and appreciating their knowledge and experience.

8. "Koppers"

Former Employee - Manager in Emsworth, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Emsworth, PA

I worked at Koppers Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Pittsburgh company. Cafeteria in building.

Cons

Old school mentality. Boys club.

9. "eventful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

never had the chance to advance

Cons

need more Indians and less chief

"Worst job I've ever had. Very poor communication between supervisors/employees."

Former Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI

I worked at Koppers Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a few and I mean a few nice people. The majority of the colleagues were unfriendly and showed displeasure working at Koppers.

Cons

Very poor communication, non professional atmosphere. Very negative work environment. No training, supervisors say one thing, deny they said it, then turn it on you that you misunderstood. No accountability, poor work ethic. Office environment was old, musty smelling, no lunchroom or any type of break room for employees. Bad experience overall.

Advice to Management

Take the billions this company earns and train employees properly, get rid of all management and start new. Update computers and relocate to a better, green friendly, cost effective building. Too many roosters running the show, however nobody wants to take accountability. Instill a loyalty program, have regular bonuses and raises based on hard work. Get rid of people that continually show up late to work.