Korea Poly School Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pay is ALWAYS on time with pay stubs" (in 6 reviews)

• "You always get paid on time, benefits are normal, holidays, airfare" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, very little prep time" (in 17 reviews)

• "Lunch hour is usually 30 min rushed and there is only about 40 min of prep time two or three times a week" (in 7 reviews)

1. "English Teacher"

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

Great staff, middle managers, and working environment. Teaching curriculum was good and the field trips were well organized.

Cons

The 11-hour days are WAY too long.

Advice to Management

Definitely suggest working less hours on a full-time schedule.

2. "English Teacher"

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

Pay is always on time

Cons

Long working hours and short breaks

3. "Okay"

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

Good benefits and clear responsibilities

Cons

Managers should be required to undergo a training program

4. "A year wasted"

Former Employee - ESL K-7 English Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL K-7 English Teacher

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great kids, friendly Korean teachers, good pay and on-time*

*see below

Cons

I'll try to be honest and un-emotional as possible.

Things were "off" from the beginning. Arrangements for my flight / arrival date were disorganized. This made the whole transition process to South Korea uncomfortable. I missed crucial teacher training due to poor/negligent communication.

I was thrown into teaching, with little instruction or guidance. The owner of the school did little to help me feel welcomed.

Breaks in between classes are 10 minutes long, but this time is usually used up by taking the children to the bathroom... something a korean teacher should be doing.

The head teacher did very little to help with communication between my co-teacher and I. The head teacher spoke Korean and English, so I can't think of a valid excuse for this one.

Unrealistic expectations were set for the kids, grades and scores were altered, and there was no structure for disciplinary issues.

You have some 40 minute breaks in the day besides lunch, but more often than not, those are intended as planning periods. If they see you using that time for anything else, it is seen as a mark against you. If you actually use that time for planning, you are working ~50 hours a week.

NO SICK DAYS, AND THEY MEAN IT. There's a story, but it's not worth telling on here. Dig into some forums and you'll get the gist.

Yes, you get paid well. However, this job will suck the life out of you.

A former teacher was denied a government job because of the boss's negligence on government paperwork.

The boss messed up another teacher's pension, and initially refused to take responsibility for it and pay her the remaining sum. There was a shouting match in the hallway, initiated by head-teacher.

There was no clarity on what dates we would receive our severance (they gave it the last possible day before we left... convenient!) and there was no help or clarity when it came to doing our taxes. They operated on power through concealment. I felt manipulated and exploited.

Upon my arrival, a departing teacher left with a comment I'll never forget:

Me: "Yeah, but at least this isn't one of those horror hagwons."

Teacher: "Uh... honey, I have bad news for you... it is."

*chills down my spine*

Advice to Management

Try to foster a trusting, welcoming, friendly, outgoing, positive atmosphere for your employees. If you show that you appreciate and trust them, they will go above and beyond for you. If you do the bare minimum, expect the same in return.

Treat everyone fairly and equally. People notice favoritism and it is toxic to any workplace. Be professional and express your expectations on everything from the very beginning. Allow a little negotiation. Foster teamwork, instead of a insecurity. A teacher's handbook on rules and guidelines would be an excellent addition and would save everyone a lot of time and suffering.

Hire competent Korean teachers.

Give sick days.

Have realistic expectations of kids, teachers and situations.

And lastly, I can't believe I have to even write this, never raise your voice at a teacher.

5. "decent job"

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

Good pay, good support from school

Cons

Long hours, very little prep time

"Long hours...terrible management"

Former Employee - English Teacher
    Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students are amazing. They work hard and are adorable. My co-workers were great as well.

Cons

Absolutely awful management. No words of encouragement, no constructive criticism, just personal attacks. Our head teacher was a foreign guy, gave great feedback and tips to help improve. The rest of the management (who wanted to micro-manage everything and made his job pointless) did none of that. The hours are very long. Your breaks are frequently eaten up by pointless meetings, covering for other teachers who are sick, or randomly filled with unexpected extra tasks that just happened to pop up and need to be done right this second or the world might end, so you either have to stay after work to get it done or do it all at home if you did the amount of prepping they seemed to expect. The forced poly gatherings were cringe-worthy. By and large, though, it was the absolute awful management that made me want to quit by month 2. It made for a very long contract.

Advice to Management

Get people who are actually qualified to teach to manage your teachers. And preferably someone with some management experience. Tearing people down with zero good things to say constantly does not make your teachers work harder. Feedback is fine, constructive criticism is appreciated, but also tell the teacher what is going right instead off all the things you hate. Keep it professional. There is never, ever a reason to attack a person on a personal level. It works better.

7. "average"

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

wages and the working hours

Cons

people here are not very nice

Advice to Management

be friends

8. "Great for a hagwon and if you can handle the hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great students, and a structured curriculum.

Cons

Hours can be very difficult if you're working a full schedule (morning and afternoon).

Advice to Management

Be sympathetic of the workload, and give your teachers constructive criticism (if you're actually qualified to give it)

9. "Good first job in Korea"

Former Employee - Teacher in Oxford, PA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Oxford, PA

I worked at Korea Poly School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very little work outside of classroom, work in an office with other foreign teachers, clear expectations for what you need to do in the classroom, small class sizes

Cons

Long hours, pay could be better

Advice to Management

Consider offering more part-time positions for people who don't want to work such long hours, or increase the pay of those that are working full-time

"pay not enough for the long hours"

I have been working at Korea Poly School full-time

Pros

They pay on time and you know when your holidays are.

Cons

One of my friends described working for Poly as "losing a year of your life." The hours are incredibly long; it's like having two full time jobs since the day is split into kindergarten/pre k for the first half of the day then 1-5 the 2nd half of the day. The training is unpaid. The job could be enjoyable depending on your management, but mine was unfortunately bad. They would lash out every time I asked a question. I had no prior teaching experience and was just thrown into it. The help I got was from other teachers, not from the management.