Korn Ferry Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Korn Ferry CEO and Director Gary D. Burnison
Gary D. Burnison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Number one in Executive search and RPO (in 16 reviews)

• Good brand to associate with, however they need to move with time (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a big discrepancy between departments about what expectations are for work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Expect to work long hours to meet targets (but that is typically of most consulting) (in 14 reviews)

"Awful top down culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Korn Ferry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive, but if I could give a score of zero overall I would

Cons

Bullying sexist culture. One minute talking about womens programs we are selling to clients, next being mansplained to about topics I have many years experience in. To do well in this company you will need a very thick skin, lots of back stabbing and bullying. Very nasty place to work and extremely poorly managed. Very little leadership to speak of, even though we sell leadership development to clients!!!

Advice to Management

Leadership 101, although you have your PhDs, you need to go back to school!

"Hideously Political, Incredibly Disappointing"

I worked at Korn Ferry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible brand and second-to-none intellectual property.

Cons

Company has made little progress in integrating acquired companies & resulting overlap leads to infighting and absolutely appalling behaviors. Leaders have zero emotional intelligence. Ego is rampant. Regardless of the presence of female leaders, this is still an old boy's club. The result is that the women can be brutally unkind to each other. Complete disappointment.

Advice to Management

Operationalize the business strategy. Focus on long term success in addition to short term shareholder gain. And pay your teams a living wage.

"Associates are there to serve Partners"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Korn Ferry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great name...everyone knows it.

Deep resources...everything you need on hand.

Cons

You are basically a slave to the Partners, and not valued as a professional.

Sexism is rampant. Very much a good old boy culture.

Advice to Management

Make professional development a reality, not just a promise to lure in talent.

"Senior Partner (non-search)"

Former Employee - Senior Client Partner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Client Partner in New York, NY

I worked at Korn Ferry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional at selling the firm's strategy (full service 'Human Capital') to capitalize on accelerating market opportunity (knowledge worker talent). Many talented people but, in the long run, disheartening to see many of them adjust to what the culture requires to succeed.

Cons

Observable, pervasive and consistent lack of integrity (They tell their clients to do one thing/
    They do the opposite in their own company)
    It is the worst culture I've ever seen up close and this includes working in the financial, legal and pharmaceutical industries for over 20-years
    A very bad place to start your career because you will acquire beliefs and habits about how to progress your career that will most certainly get in the way elsewhere. Better to go to Deloitte, McKinsey, BCG.
    Buyer beware: Do your research and distinguish between paid propaganda the company puts out and agnostic resources like this

Advice to Management

Apply the advice, tools and materials you sell your clients to your company

"I was blind sided"

Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Korn Ferry (Less than a year)

Pros

They love feeding their employees

Cons

I am a veteran and was let go without warning or notice with no provocation or explanation on Veterans Day. I think that's all I need to say but...

Poor culture
    Poor benefits
    Low pay
    Uncoordinated management team

Advice to Management

Try to remember that you're employees are people with lives and families. You don't get to just throw people away whenever it fits you.

"I regret my decision"

I have been working at Korn Ferry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work on some high profile searches.

Cons

I joined KF about a year ago and it was the wrong decision. I've already started interviewing other places. The culture is terrible (I've visited several offices)- people are backstabbing and cruel. Some of the searches have been interesting, but with budgets tightening, a lot of companies avoid using executive search firms until they are in desperate times. They will sell you on the fact that you can move up more easily at KF than other places, but its not true. I encourage anyone considering executive search firms to look at H&S, Spencer Stuart, or even smaller mid size firms where they care more about their employees.

"Horrible company to work for!"

Pros

Nothing really comes to mind!

Cons

Really bad management. Unethical company with very low employee morale and a very high turn over in IT.

8. "Sr QA"

Pros

Nice Company to work
    Flexible working hours

Cons

not a tech driven company

Advice to Management

nothing

"Sold out"

Current Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Korn Ferry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are in management, it seems to work in your favor. Management continues to move up the corporate ladder with opportunities opening up just for them.

Cons

KF does not care about people. They work you until they burn you out. Revenue is all they are concerned with. Hay Group sold their employees out to KF and immediately they started laying off HG employees. They give you no clue as to what their benefit policy entails. Too many emails about nothing informative.

Advice to Management

Be more people friendly and personable; stop putting extra work on non management employees and not compensating them; ask your employees what they do and how it works for them which in turn will work for the company; it's not just about revenue but people first.

"A once-great company, now terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I worked at Korn Ferry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with great people in a beautiful office with a relaxed but professional environment. This was the best job I ever had.

Cons

They brought in a new CFO to clean house and that is exactly what he has done and continues to do. There have been more layoffs and lawsuits with key managers being fired or laid off in the past three years than you can imagine. It's a terrible culture of executive greed and it is clear that employees are not cared for on any level.

Advice to Management

You are cutting off your nose to spite your face. You took a brilliant company and have picked it apart to your own demise. Stop now and re-group before it's too late.