Kraft Heinz Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Kraft Heinz Company CEO Bernardo Hees
Bernardo Hees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/life balance is a excellent at Kraft" (in 151 reviews)

• "Lots of resonsibility, great people who are very fun to work with" (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • "A lot is expected from the employees, making work/life balance challenging" (in 272 reviews)

• "No work life balance (11 hour days have become the norm)" (in 73 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great, challenging work environment"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Very hardworking and sharp employees, that are both driven to perform at their best as well as help others develop their skills/knowledge and get up to speed
    2) Well-known brands that I grew up with-- it's fun to have the opportunity to try to shape how our brands evolve with a changing consumer environment
    3) As one of the largest food companies, there are a ton of opportunities within this one office. Easy to move to a different function, with and without prior experience in the area (as long as you've demonstrated the ability and eagerness to learn)
    4) Great office with awesome views of the city. Open floor layout makes interaction with teammates and leadership easier and more frequent

Cons

Not a good fit for everybody. I wouldn't work here if you are not motivated by challenging targets, unwilling to work extra hours to finish a project, or want short-term and day-to-day perks (we don't get as much free food as you'd expect, but we have solid performance-based bonus potential and occasional other office-wide events)

Nov 9, 2018 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

I think you have summed up our culture nicely. We believe in allowing our team an opportunity to move to different departments to continue to develop professionally. It's that ocean of opportunity... More

2. "Filled with Opportunity to Grow"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Comp & benefits
    -Driven colleagues that push you to do your best
    -Positive & upbeat office environment
    -Bonus Structure
    -Career Opportunities
    -Work Life Balance
    -Exciting Brands

Cons

No Cons I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

N/A

"A Poor Workaholic's Dream"

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Extremely challenging environment - great minds to interact and work with
    2. Give you ownership with your tasks and responsibilities
    3. Performance and bonus is tied directly to P&L
    4. Lots of opportunities to escalate career
    5. Outside your comfort zone

Cons

1. Poor resource allocation. Zero based budgeting done wrong. They'll give you the worst tools (laptops/ softwares) to do your task. An hour long task could take 5-6 hours since no serious planning has gone to it. Had to use my personal device.
    2. No matter where you fall in the employment scale, it's cut-throat, and you're looked upon as a COG and not a human. So there is very little investment on their end for your long term growth at least not for the first year or so. The company is run by finance brains (3G capital - go figure) therefore operations are run as a means to an end and not as a focus to be a well operating machine. They throw smart people at the problem and the smart people due to lack of time (short of resources) come up with short term solutions to fundamentally broken systems/ problems. At the end of the day, the focus isn't to have the healthiest product at the best price, it's to push out anything edible at the lowest cost. (compare KHC to Nestle, Unilever, or Kellogg). Long story short, the higher up you are the less job security you should expect - not because of performance, but because of they run the company based on delivering Quarterly numbers. Opposite of how Amazon runs it's business (its important to compare the two because they both claim to use Zero Based Accounting but the later actually knows how to leverage it).

Advice to Management

1. Invest intelligently on computational tools. You could actually leverage the time value of your employees.
    2. Zero Based Budgeting is great, only if you know how to budget for operations. You're manufacturing facilities and warehousing is run so poorly that it's embarrassing to watch. Fundamentals to evaluate operations are Performance, Availability, and Quality. Budgeting based on last years financials (typical Wall Street move) doesn't get you lowered operating expenses. It creates loss in revenue caused by backlog. I understand being in the ring of fire constantly but its important to take a step back and evaluate a longer term solution. Roll out something like TPM across all factories and watch the company make a quantum leap in terms of sustained profitability. Then go after companies like Unilever. Randomly visit 4 of your factories and DCs and then do the same for Unilever in North America and you'll see what I am talking about.
    3. Please revisit all Demand Planners, check their performance in detail and see how far away from any logic or strategy is used to make predictions. It creates a ripple effect of poor decisions all the way up to customer delivery. Hate to say it, invest in machine learning (I think Genpact is the new supplier) and revisit the algorithms used in each categories. Before that recategorize products based on some consistent business logic rather than what sounds good or what Kraft and Heinz have done in the past. You can't blame category managers for their performance if you don't give them the tools to do a good job. It's not 2005, It's 2019, act accordingly.
    4. Revisit ALL distribution routes and hubs. There is money sitting on plane sight.
    5. Going back to it all - If you truly want to create the "World's Best Food Company" then you need to sacrifice a couple of quarters of managing "Analyst's Expectations" and mange your employee's needs, and your customers wants. Also the best food company sells the best food, not sugar and meat laced carcinogens that's impacting customers in a negative way - just a thought, might not be your strategy. Then change your mission statement to "Be a company that delivers the best value food". I expect more from Brazilians.
    6. You have everything in your power to turn this business around. Listen to what the employees are trying to say and leverage their talent effectively. This is not a burger king (another poorly run 3G business) or a retail or an alcoholic beverage company - please stop copy pasting business strategy across all business. If your focus is to produce food with inelastic demand - then good, stay there, but look into your OEE for manufacturing facilities and roll out an aggressive 3 year TPM plan Brazilian style instead of blindly chopping of unprofitable footprint - its unprofitable not due to demand but due to poor PCA (refer to fundamentals). Focus internally for at least 2 years before trying to acquire anything. Your competitors are selling the same economic good with a higher quality and with healthier alternatives. Cutting operational units, labor, to reduce your operating expense doesn't make anything better. Look at your inventory numbers/ ratios since the take over. Can't really hide behind those right? It would be great if you ran it like a company of people for people rather than a company of COGS for Market Share. You're blessed with talent and have great momentum going for you. Good luck! Hope this helps, and thank you for the great opportunity (I mean it).

Feb 11, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I am glad to see that you had a positive experience while you were here. You have brought up some excellent points. I have shared this with the leadership... More

"Believe the Reviews"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you get your bonus it is above industry average.

Cons

Mostly men in senior positions, no work life balance, employees treated with no respect, managers who emotionally abuse employees, no yearly raises

"Complete Chaos"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

- Ambitious Employees
    - Great Location
    - Brand Recognition

Cons

- Inexperienced Management (I wish I could list this 100 times)
    - Company doesn't give employees basic resources
    - No training
    - "Meritocracy" is just a code word for favoritism
    - Inexplicable and unsustainable model of hiring employees who don't have functional knowledge at all levels in all functions
    - Ambiguous targets

Advice to Management

Instead of addressing the issues resulting in low ratings, the company is actively soliciting positive reviews from employees to detract from the previous truthful and not so positive reviews. Candidates beware.

Jan 31, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Thank you for your feedback. I share all of these comments with the leadership team. We are always asking employees to leave anonymous reviews on Glassdoor. Honest feedback, like yours, helps us to... More

"Don’t waste your time"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

-The view from the office

Cons

-No training, devlopment or onboarding
    -Extreme micromanagement
    -No work/life balance
    -Unrealistic expectations
    -Waste all day in meetings
    -Inexperienced management
    -Don’t value employees
    -Not given tools or resouces needed to do job (no monitor and laptop that barely functions)

All recent positive reviews are from HR asking employees to write good reviews on Glass Door

Advice to Management

-Value your employees and treat them as assets not machines

Jan 28, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Oh no, you are not having a rewarding experience at KHC. Thank you for your feedback. I will pass this up to the leadership team. There is a lot to chew on. We do encourage all of our team members... More

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you are not afraid of chance. Will provide lots of growth opportunity for individuals who are accountable for results

Cons

Nothing negative just a very unique culture, not for everybody

Jan 23, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at KHC.

8. "Quality tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

last physical, but busy moving up and down

Cons

no overtime, work only forty hours each week

Jan 28, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Glad you are finding your time at KHC satisfying. We value your contribution. Thank you- Elizabeth

"If you don’t want a life sign yourself right up"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is competitive compared to other employers and they really push your boundaries with knowledge and learning more.

Cons

1. No work like balance - life is 7-6 about 80% of the time
    2. No training
    3. No cross functional communication
    4. Bonus goals are frictional with each department working against another
    5. Lucky if you get functioning equipment
    6. Typical corporate hierarchy, you’ll be told what ten things to fix before you get told what you’re doing well.
    7. Underdogs get torn apart with work load
    8. High expectations to run a multi billion dollar company by a bunch of 26 year olds that do happy hour 4x a week.

Advice to Management

Work on setting a capped work time and allow work life balance. I don’t think I’ve seen the sun in over a year.

10. "Sr. Finance Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary and bonus are very competitive. Lot of upward mobility for high performers. MBO (management by objectives) system clearly defines your goals to receive a bonus. Great experience and exposure.

Cons

No real, formal training and people are too busy/focused on their own MBOs to slow down and help you. Very competitive internally (e.g. Sales vs BUs, etc.) with a lot of big personalities/egos which creates an uncomfortable environment at times and takes focus away from overall company objectives and addressing external competition.

Advice to Management

The MBO system is good but has its flaws. Figure out a way to have it drive internal competition less and more focused on external competitors/overarching company objectives.

Jan 31, 2019 – Senior Manager Employer Brand

Thank you for leaving feedback. We are always looking for opportunities to improve. I will share your comments with the leadership team. - Elizabeth