Kraft Heinz Company Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Bernardo Hees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work life balance during high travel (in 198 reviews)

• no work/life balance due to lack of definition of tasks (in 54 reviews)

"Phenominal Before and Terrible Post Merger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits
    - Good people before the merger

Cons

After the merger with 3G, a private equity firm, the company became a terrible place to work for. The Brazilian private equity firm lacks personal ethics and values. They do not care about the employees or their satisfaction. In an effort to keep shareholders happy, they cut the good people and now younger people are in positions where they should never be. There is no training available from senior people.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.

"Operations Management Intern"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

- Well-known name for the resume
    - Co-workers are genuinely kind
    - Transparent company structure and expectations
    - Promotions often come quickly… because people are constantly leaving or getting promoted

Cons

There are quite a few. I’m glad I got to see the thorns in this company and learn about the declining market before making the jump to full time. Other companies have treated me much better in the past, and the difference was very surprising. Overall, I’m thankful but disappointed in the experience I had. If they me a full-time position, but I almost certainly won’t take it. Other companies offer more pay with better culture, training, and work/life balance.

I wish people were more clear and transparent with realistic expectations, so here's some things they won't tell you before accepting:
    - Offer letter said “corporate housing” would be provided… Interns got put up in very cheap extended stay hotels for the summer. Many had to be relocated due to how bad the hotels were. Some facilities had ~1 hour commutes each way because everything is about money at this company.
    - Plants don’t seem well prepared for interns. Management is already overworked and it was often hard to get quality time for questions/coaching/learning their job functions. Not all projects were challenging or important.
    - University Relations seems a little disorganized and disconnected. The program is going through growing pains, and they haven’t really found their groove yet.
    - Looong hours. A good day for management is 12 hours. “Jokingly” got shammed for working 8-9 hours a day even though I didn’t have enough work, even when asking for more and finding my own projects.
    - Everything seems to be about the bottom line. This facility doesn’t even have coffee available to its employees. I had to jump through hoops just to find a pen and clipboard.
    - Facilities definitely show a lot of age. Company can’t/won’t invest in properly keeping up the equipment because of lack of training and it always comes down to the bottom line. Office areas seem to get even less attention.
    - After the merger, company morale went way down because of budget and head count cuts. This is very evident and vocalized by employees. Everyone, even Operators, are way over worked and over stretched.
    - Wish there was more communication and contact within the Intern group, especially because many interns were alone. We had Excel Challenges (which weren’t very challenging) weekly, and would talk to a new intern each week, but that was it.
    - Leaders are nominal at this place, especially at the floor level. There are definitely a good few, but there isn’t much coaching and development at the plant level.
    - In my experience, there isn’t much real engineering that goes on in this company. They have a very small traveling engineering team as support, but if you’re at a smaller facility, there will likely be no one.

Advice to Management

You catch bigger fish with better bait. Your name is working for now, but KHC is creating a bad reputation for itself thanks to 3G. You can’t run on bare bones for too long. Signing away my early career and personal life to this company seems damaging, especially when there doesn’t seem to be much loyalty or concern for the employees.

"Not all terrible, but the bad outweighs the good"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

The training program did a solid job providing good experience, but mostly because of the people I worked with
    Benefits and pay are pretty solid straight out of school
    Exposure to upper management early on
    Transparent evaluation through the MBO process

Cons

Training program was extremely disorganized, University Relations bit off more than they could chew
    Placement process was a nightmare, a lot of trainees were put into full-time roles with no regard for their skills or interests and HR forced relocation for some people
    Work-life balance doesn't exist
    Executives micro-manage stupid stuff (e.g. the 5S clean desk program)
    High turnover due to cost-cutting measures, and the resulting lack of experience hurts new employee training

Advice to Management

Start looking out for your people, but with 3G in charge nothing will change

"Constant grind with very poor work/life balance"

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Iconic brands.
    Pay is good, particularly the annual bonus - if you are able to hit the target.
    Downtown Chicago location.

Cons

After the Kraft Heinz merger, the 3G management style made this a very different place to work than the one I originally joined.
    -There is a monthly grind that just never stops. You are expected to get everything done incredibly fast, no matter how short of notice you are given and regardless what you may have going on in your personal life.
    -Costs are being continually and aggressively stripped out of iconic food brands, regardless of how much it degrades the quality of these products.
    -It is a male dominated culture, particularly the higher you get in the company. If you are a Brazilian male, you have just punched your golden ticket to the top. If you are a female, they will happily take you as a work horse in a junior role for a few years - but you will hit a glass ceiling.
    -The highly touted "meritocracy" is a joke. The turnover is so high at this company, either from frequent layoffs or from people quitting, that there is a constant stream of open roles. The solution is a combination of either piling more and more work on those who are left, (without any increase in pay,) or pushing really junior, inexperienced people into roles that that are not ready to handle, and calling it "meritocracy."
    -The company spends a lot of time and effort on some really bizarre things. (e.g. No more than 2 personal items on your desk. CEO and senior execs walking around to check how clean your desk area is, and placing red flags on untidy desks like a public shaming of some sort.)

Advice to Management

Focus on building leaders, and reward strong leadership - not just robots who can hit their MBO metrics. Leadership is not something that you will get with people who are fresh out of college, no matter how book smart they are. And diversify your middle and senior management. You need more women and non-Brazilian men in these roles.

5. "Operational Management Internship Program"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

The people who worked in my plant were awesome. They were very helpful and make the best out of the resources they are given.

Cons

There are quite a few.... First the housing that is provided is awful. I was put in an extended stay hotel about an hour each away (including tolls) and was placed with a another intern in the same room . When I brought this up to the University Relations team, they sent an email back saying that they chose this hotel specifically. On the one hour commutes to work and back (which no travel stipend was provided), we would pass countless hotels that were much nicer and closer to the factory I worked in. Besides the housing situation, the company as a whole does not take care of their employees, especially at the plant level. My coworkers warned me about how little corporate cares about the people and only cares about the bottom line which was evident when you can't even find the resources you need to do the job. The full time employees are doing the work of two people while receiving the pay of one, and working 10-12 hour days (including Saturdays) is commonplace with no overtime.

Advice to Management

Care more about the people who work in the company. Also, if someone brings up a problem, try to take some kind of corrective actions.

6. "Organization not for young professionals"

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Madison, WI

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-can build experience with large number of people
    -can deal with different departments

Cons

-not much career opportunities provided
    -depressing culture

Advice to Management

Bring more young professionals and provide more career opportunities

"Supply/Copack Quality"

Former Employee - Supply Quality
    Former Employee - Supply Quality

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Not really many pro's of working here.

Cons

Not treated as a human.
    Worked to the bone.
    No true raises or salary increases.
    No org chart since it changes so often.
    Not clear on what the rules are.
    Bonus is dangled in your face all year as some sort of prize that you should be willing to do anything to get, including give up on family commitments.
    Can't fill open positions so they strongly suggest you should move across the country to work in a plant in the middle of nowhere.
    You constantly have to look over the shoulder of the children they hire into important roles. They don't know what they're doing and aren't ready for the role yet.

Advice to Management

Management? Ha! I'll tell them they need to start treating their employees like people with lives, problems, and everything else that comes with it. Unfortunately, no matter what I say, they won't listen. 3G are a bunch of rich kids who expect everyone else to work hard so they can watch their pile of money grow... There's more important things in life than money. Someone needs to tell Bernie...

"Kraft Heinz Operations Management Internship"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

HR took care of housing issues, housing is provided, pay is fair, employees at the plant are very supportive, never boring.

Cons

Factories located in remote areas, housing provided initially was unsuitable, high employee turnover, long hours, disconnect between expectations of corporate and management at the factory.

"Customer Category Manaer"

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People, HUGE Bonus in 2016, great products!

Cons

No work life / work balance. People working overnight to get last minute project done on time. High turnover rate. No one has history of job. No clear direction, when you get direction/instruction due the next day.

Advice to Management

Start giving pay raises versus meritocracy to a few, after working them to death. Remember family is the most important thing in life, not working 12 hour days plus drive time.

"Disaster since merger"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Decent work - home balance
    Pay is average

Cons

Management is clueless.
    Poor business decisions and poor people skills.
    Your group will be shorthanded most of your career.
    Mutiple schedule changes will occur
    Certain departments rotate hours some do not.

Advice to Management

They won't listen so why bother......

Showing 486 of 2,455 reviews