Kraft Heinz Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017

Bernardo Hees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Hard work life balance during high travel (in 198 reviews)

• no work/life balance due to lack of definition of tasks (in 54 reviews)

"Disappointing"

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Opportunities for junior employees to move into more senior roles. Management by objectives rewards those who make their goals.

Cons

Cost focus over everything else. It is not a good working environment and all of the knowledge that existed has left which makes it difficult for those who remained. No employee engagement. Communication from management is confusing and unclear most of the time.

Advice to Management

The company used to be one of the best places to work and one that I was proud to recommend. You are not giving the employees the ability to be empowered and innovative anymore.

2. "Kraft Heinz Company"

I worked at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Poor decisions by upper management for instant financial gain.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to do too much with not enough to get the job done right. Change is a journey and as such should be done right. Making cuts just for instant financial gratification is going to cost the company more in the long term.

3. "Corporate Management Internship Program - Summer Intern"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

Great place to learn general business management whether it be marketing, finance, or middle office functions. Personally, I had a great experience with amazing coworkers/managers who gave me a ton of responsibility and autonomy for my project. Also, really good work-life balance while you work here, people won't judge you if you can work efficiently and finish your work early on and go home. Meritocracy is indeed in place here, and you can strive if it is your fit; however, this structure is intentionally in place in order to maximize employee utility by underpaying young, smart individuals and getting rid of higher paying functions (which also implies your base salary will be underpaid in order to motivate you for bonuses, which by the way is not entirely dependent on your personal performance).

Cons

This place is NOT a growth-based company as they claim to be, rather it is crazy about increasing margins in a mature CPG industry (so bottom line growth, but 0 top-line growth). They give no employee benefits, and they try to cut every corner to reduce costs related to having you as an employee (whether that be giving you really bad & cheap corporate housing in order to reconcile large reductions in your salary, which in reality does not correspond to the quality of housing and that is the only benefit I got from them). Company is not focused on growth and is unwilling to make large strides in the right direction by putting big investments due to its ZBB practices. Your experience will vary a ton depending which team/manager you work with, so I have heard others with not-so-great experiences (but I had an amazing project and a really cool team so this is a con in the sense of unpredictability). Also, this place is far from diverse--except for Brazilians.

Advice to Management

If you want talent retention, the main idea is to somehow give benefits or higher salary in order to force them to stay here, not trying to force them to work harder for non-measurable bonuses (which also result in general employee dissatisfaction). However, great execution on ZBB and margins creation. Please focus on growing the top-line of the business (which is most likely not going to be organic), so maybe the best option is m&a practice.

4. "You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast carer growth for those who are willing to put in the hours and learn fast

Cons

Aggressive targets in a declining industry might hurt everyone's bonuses

5. "Operations Management Intern Program"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

- Competitive pay
    - Opportunity to make lasting impact on company
    - Fly to Chicago for Report Out Presentation

Cons

- You have to accept before you know location
    - No social events with all interns together
    - In Chicago for less than day (no time to explore city)

Advice to Management

- Be transparent on what the intern can expect during the internship
    - Social event with all interns (ex. Stay in Chicago night after presentations for Cubs game, explore city)

6. "Operations Management Intern"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern

Pros

The community at the plant was really helpful of me while I was here. I could always get questions answered by almost anyone. The project was hands on which was nice.

Cons

Corporate was hard to work with, and came across as relatively incompetent with some things. I ran into issues that were caused by the corporate people who hired me, but I still had to fill out help tickets to solve my problems and it took the entire summer to get them fixed. I wasn't able to download software I needed for my project, so I missed out on the opportunity to do a significant amount of work because of that and instead sat around.

7. "Intense and unstructured place to work, but can offer exciting opportunity for the very ambitious"

Current Intern - MBA Inter in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - MBA Inter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is still a bit diverse, due to the merger of Kraft and Heinz 2 years ago. The culture that top management has been working to create emphasizes “ownership”, results, hard work, and speed to output/action. The upsides of this are:
    (1) you will always have something to do and will never have an empty plate,
    (2) you will likely be working on something interesting,
    (3) if you generate incredibly impressive results, you will be rewarded with a larger bonus and will likely also receive much faster promotions.

Specific to summer internships,
    (1) interns have a visibility and level of interaction with senior leadership that is unparalleled for the CPG industry (and relative to most other industries too)
    (2) the internship will give you a good sense of the range of experiences and opportunities the company can offer,
    (3) the University Relations Team does a great job of organizing events for the interns to learn about various aspects of the business (e.g., factory tours, R&D facility tours, lectures/meetings with senior executives within the business)

Cons

The downsides of KHC for all employees that I saw were:
    (1) work is often siloed, with multiple people working on the same thing in parallel without even realizing it,
    (2) intensity/hours can spike or be a bit high (especially relative to CPG norms),
    (3) you may end up doing “extraneous” work - i.e., working on something that has already been done or isn’t going to add value to the company.

For interns in particular, some of the downsides were:
    (1) Some projects seemed to be improperly scoped/vetted - e.g., did not contain sufficient work/complexity to merit a 10-week project, had unclear or shifting scope and objectives, or were not true opportunities and could have been “crossed off” had someone spent a day investigating
    (2) The quality and engagement level of managers (of the summer interns) were highly variable. Interns’ perceptions of their summer seemed to mirror how engaged their managers were with them and their work. It was clear that the company did not consider potential managers' time availability, interpersonal skills, or management experience when selecting where to place interns.

Advice to Management

(1) Be more selective in which projects are given to interns (i.e., ensure that they are sufficiently scoped out, ensure that they are opportunities that truly merit 10-weeks of a full-time person investigating them, etc.)
    (2) Build more of a sense of community by organizing more opportunities for summer interns to interact with people in the same full-time roles that the interns would have if they returned for full-time
    (3) Provide a more standardized and structured process to the managers of summer interns for how the managers should interact with the intern over the summer (e.g., 30-min meeting 3x/week to review latest findings, weekly 1-hour meeting to review work with more senior management, 1-hour readout to Head of BU and broader team at end of summer)

"Great bonus in good years, but total organizational chaos"

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time

Pros

Great bonus in years when you hit your targets

Cons

i estimate 80% of the pre-merger HQ employees have either quit or been fired, so a lot of knowledge lost and many things are in a state of chaos. Also, they constantly talk about meritocracy, but the majority of all senior positions are filled by Brazilian men and many middle management jobs filled by people with little experience. Seems like it's more of promotion based on perceived potential than past merit.

Advice to Management

Diversity your upper and middle management ranks - need more women and non-Brazilians.

9. "Operations Management Training Program"

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You gain exposure to many cross functional areas within the business as well as a lot of top officials within the company. There are countless opportunities to develop and promote if you show your ability to succeed.

Cons

The company's penny-pinching nature is hindering. While they do a decent job of prioritizing the development of their trainees, it can make meeting goals very difficult - especially when capital improvements are required. The company culture can be stressful as well as you're asked to accomplish high goals with very few resources.

Advice to Management

Refine the pool of candidates that are being hired. Engineering degrees are required for this program. While an engineering background has been helpful, I've found that someone with an engineering personality isn't always the greatest fit for an operations management role - this has resulted in an above average attrition rate in my opinion.

"Great pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Kraft Heinz Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay. Met a lot of great people working for company. Rewarding career and was given a lot of freedom to implement my ideas

Cons

3G cost cutting has been brutal. Have seen quite a few great employees lose their careers. Behind a little in technology as well

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the floor doing the work. They will make or break the company. Let them help incorporate changes and improvements.

Showing 553 of 2,457 reviews