KraftMaid Cabinetry Reviews | Glassdoor

Timothy Wadhams

1. "account manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits and great cabinetry

Cons

poor management bringing in own people

Advice to Management

work with your sales people don't leave them out on an island alone.

2. "Not worth it"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Orwell, OH
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Orwell, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can at least live on the pay.

Cons

If you like not having to be concerned about your health and well being this is not the job for you. Admittedly I haven't worked here since 2006 (the furthest back glassdoor would let me put for a last employed year was 2013) so it's possible safety precautions have gotten better.

3. "Customer oriented"

Former Employee - Sander, Wiper, Repair, Detailed, Finisher in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Sander, Wiper, Repair, Detailed, Finisher in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

attention was always on the quality for their customers

Cons

the speed at which one had to do some of the larger objects, wiping off stain so as to get the smooth look desired, lifting of the larger objects should have two especially if using smaller people

Advice to Management

better gloves to help minimize wood splinters, heavier objects need two people to lift safely

"Former Customer Care II agent & QA support with 10+ yrs."

Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH

Pros

KraftMaid like all companies has gone through many changes to keep the company profitable and remain competitive. All changes in culture are difficult, and sometimes it means concessions for everyone. I was glad to see the company taking steps to keep the company healthy; that translates to sustainability and good jobs tomorrow. The company has excellent benefits, and the pay scale excellent as compared to others out there. The company continues to invest real dollars; a new state of the art cloud based phone system; multi-million dollar equipment investment in the sanding, Quality and paint departments, and initiatives in QA to ensure higher quality finishes, and procedures and equipment to streamline operations in all departments. I left for a career change moving into a financial position. My varied responsibilities at KraftMaid have been valuable, and allowed me to be marketable and have leveraged me for success with my career change. KraftMaid has been very good to me. I am an over achiever- and I gave them 125% all the time. The payoff to me though has been invaluable. I would recommend the company highly.

Cons

Concessions and change are always difficult. KraftMaid -Middlefield has recently taken over production of some other smaller divisions, and also adding some new product lines, seemingly all at the same time- ( which is a positive sign. It says that Masco Corporate though they could handle it, and that is a compliment to the great work force at the Middlefield plant ) so every department, including Customer Care, has been greatly challenged to ramp up with some very short time lines. This has meant many hours of OT in all departments, some confusion at times, and blurring of lines of what to do when. Sometimes learning new things has had to take place "on the run", and seemingly things are launched without sufficient testing; and the resulting "clean up" detail sometimes difficult and and can at times seem even embarrassing. All of this though is a bi-product of change and growth, and KraftMaid is in the midst this process now. If you are not a resilient worker, and not able to go with rapid change, this is not a place you'd be comfortable. Maybe all of this is a con, but it's not all a bad thing; so try not to confuse the two. Pain before the gain!

Advice to Management

Communication happens in lots ways; including by how you do, or don't do things such as including all departments in company update meetings. Employee morale can be a barometer of productivity. There are lots of things that could be done to ensure employees feel they are important and appreciated that don't cost $. There are lots of company models out there for you to look at. An investment here would certainly pay off. Employees who feel appreciated, have a positive attitude toward the company and that yields a highly productive, enthusiastic, and satisfied employee. This can be achieved in very simple, low or no cost ways. Recognize the special skills, aptitudes or gifting of your employees, and place them in positions that utilize those hidden resources. Someone doing something they are good at is highly productive, and when an employee does well, he feel good about where he is at, and about himself. Underutilized employee gifts are wasted resources. The results will be greater productivity by all employees, and positive morale by the employees and management. Remember your employees are the Face of KraftMaid. :)

6. "use to be a great place to work."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

not really any good reasons anymore except the pay is not bad. they use to care about there people but that went out the door when corporate took over.

Cons

The cons are they took everything away from the employees that use to make them look like they cared like little perks appreciation week, a 12 pack of pop for the 4th of july, we had perfect attendance rewards, they were small perks but they made you feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

wake up and treat your employees the way they should be there not asking for much try to be the way it was before. The employees are human and they do have feelings and a life after work.

7. "Great place except for the upper management"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers are great to work with

Cons

bad upper management and horrible culture

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your mid level managers

8. "Loved this company and the people that I worked with. Management at Ann Arbor has no clue how this company runs."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and good company. Pay was very good and competitive.

Cons

Management in Ann Arbor does not have a clue how to run this company. No interaction with the employees that do the work.

Advice to Management

Ask for the employees help and advice. These people have valuable skills and experience!

9. "Worst employment experience of my life - 7 years of hell"

Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - KAAT Builder in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent for being a semi-skilled position that didn't require a college education. I learned how not to treat employees while working there -- that came in handy for my next job.

Cons

1) As an assembly (KAAT) employee, your ideas are irrelevant. Don't bother bringing up your opinion, peon, and get back to work. You're not being paid to think,
    2) Quality assurance is a joke, and is only considered when the QA department is auditing your department at any given time.
    3) Hit your projected production numbers for the hour or else. Work harder, faster, and don't you dare make a mistake, If you do, you will be berated and made to stop what you're doing to fix it, then will be reprimanded for not hitting your hourly numbers. Rinse and repeat.
    4) Management will lie to you in order to keep morale in that cushy spot between dissatisfaction and outright mutiny. Expect no more or less from them - they're in the same boat, just higher up the chain.
    5) You and your coworkers will be reminded on a near-daily basis that if you don't like working at KM/Masco, McDonald's is hiring. So clever.
    6) The half-assed JIT system is in shambles. Staging and milling are overworked and under the same conditions as assembly, so their output is rarely timely or in any way resembles a quality product.
    7) Since we live in the United States of America, you may think that hard work and initiative will eventually be rewarded by increased opportunities, but get that silly idea out of your head if you work for Masco. You are a cog, and a disposable and contemptable one at that. Hit your pay ceiling (or don't) and shut up. No one is interested in any other skills or knowledge that you may think that you can bring to the table. Your ideas, if raised to management, will fall on deaf ears, unless someone in management thinks they can use them and snag all the credit for it. If someone in middle-management has their eye on you to become a supervisor, DO NOT TAKE THE BAIT. I saw MANY good, hard workers go down that path and lose their jobs when the going got tough, with no option to return to their prior positions.
    8) You are expected to have the utmost loyalty to Masco/Kraftmaid, but that is a one-way street. Do not make the mistake of thinking that this company cares one iota about its employees.
    9) This company is a sinking ship. If you haven't already, get a backup plan and get the hell out of there, unless you want to be let go at the same time as everyone else. The job pool will be diluted and it will likely be very difficult to find something else, as you'll be competing with your former corowkers.
    10) I could really write a book about the horrible way this company conducts itself, but I have leaves to rake. Maybe I'll add more if this site lets me edit my post.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Eventually, you'll whittle this company down to nothing and will get the opportunity to spread your cancerous business ideologies to other firms.

"Someone put this company out of its misery!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Some of the stupidity was laughable. Some of it could have been laughable had it not been so unbelievable.

Cons

1. You have people in positions of power that know NOTHING about engineering, systems, quality, etc... The fact that these morons think that they knew something was even more entertaining.
    2. There wasn't any innovation in this company...just a bad verson of the "The Little Train that could." Projects were being recycled over and over, each time the result was a painful death. Maybe a note to self: Changing paint color isn't considered innovative in the real world. As Mr. Webster states: Definition of INNOVATION. something (as a device) created for the first time through the use of the imagination.
    3. Your intelligence is the average of your peers. So when you have to have an employee development class on how to read a tape measurer...well, what can I say? I would laugh except it just wasn't as funny to experience. Seriously.
    4. "Run, Forest, Run!" Get the hell out if you haven't already. If there was an option to not give this company any stars, I would. Working there was the worst experience of my life. Working for a bipolar insecured boss that looked like a tree stump, priceless. I now have stories to tell.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and actually read a book about how to properly manage your people. Degrading and intimidating them actually makes you look more like the village idiot (and that's disturbing since you're surrounded by idiots already). Get rid of the Kraftmaid "Lifers" who are still left at the top. You need new blood that knows something about the 21st century technology. Lastly, you need to take a look at some of these upper management lying about their qualifications.

"Employees are made aware how expendable they are on this sinking ship."

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Middlefield, OH

Pros

The pay rate is excellent.

Cons

There is no autonomy granted to employees. Masco/Kraftmaid pulls the wool over employee's eyes concerning company wide decisions that have an impact on their livelihoods. For instance, days prior to a layoff all coordinators on the production floor reassured their departments that an upcoming layoff was just a rumor. Two days later a memo was posted stating that if an employee's hire date was prior to the date listed that they would have to be let go. After said employees were laid off there was not enough individuals left for all departments to function properly. Management is all about passing the buck here.....accountability is moved from one managers shoulders to the next down until an issue is forgotten rather than resolved. The housing market/scam of 2007 can only be blamed for so long before management re-evaluates decisions they have made.

Advice to Management

Company wide meetings with the president of the company that are relayed via pre-recorded media is a blatant disregard for employee's opinions and/or feelings. In reference to the question below about Tom Chieffe...he is no longer with the company. He resigned as he was able to foresee the company declining.