KraftMaid Cabinetry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy Wadhams

1. "At the time, a company in flux"

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time

Pros

Good compensation and benefits
    Excellent product discounts for employees
    Good job security

Cons

Limited understanding of digital marketing
    Beholden to over-arching parent corporation

2. "I learned a lot while working for this company."

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is like working with a family. People work together to get the job done. They are a company that helps with the local area.

Cons

In the summer it is extremely hot working in the factory do to all the equipment. They seem to have scheduling issues.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people on the floor that are actually doing the work before making changes to the bonuses, benefits, and perks for working with the company. There are very many employees that have great ideas; but no one listens to them.

3. "Great place except for the upper management"

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers are great to work with

Cons

bad upper management and horrible culture

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your mid level managers

"Former Customer Care II agent & QA support with 10+ yrs."

Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care II & QA Support in Middlefield, OH

Pros

KraftMaid like all companies has gone through many changes to keep the company profitable and remain competitive. All changes in culture are difficult, and sometimes it means concessions for everyone. I was glad to see the company taking steps to keep the company healthy; that translates to sustainability and good jobs tomorrow. The company has excellent benefits, and the pay scale excellent as compared to others out there. The company continues to invest real dollars; a new state of the art cloud based phone system; multi-million dollar equipment investment in the sanding, Quality and paint departments, and initiatives in QA to ensure higher quality finishes, and procedures and equipment to streamline operations in all departments. I left for a career change moving into a financial position. My varied responsibilities at KraftMaid have been valuable, and allowed me to be marketable and have leveraged me for success with my career change. KraftMaid has been very good to me. I am an over achiever- and I gave them 125% all the time. The payoff to me though has been invaluable. I would recommend the company highly.

Cons

Concessions and change are always difficult. KraftMaid -Middlefield has recently taken over production of some other smaller divisions, and also adding some new product lines, seemingly all at the same time- ( which is a positive sign. It says that Masco Corporate though they could handle it, and that is a compliment to the great work force at the Middlefield plant ) so every department, including Customer Care, has been greatly challenged to ramp up with some very short time lines. This has meant many hours of OT in all departments, some confusion at times, and blurring of lines of what to do when. Sometimes learning new things has had to take place "on the run", and seemingly things are launched without sufficient testing; and the resulting "clean up" detail sometimes difficult and and can at times seem even embarrassing. All of this though is a bi-product of change and growth, and KraftMaid is in the midst this process now. If you are not a resilient worker, and not able to go with rapid change, this is not a place you'd be comfortable. Maybe all of this is a con, but it's not all a bad thing; so try not to confuse the two. Pain before the gain!

Advice to Management

Communication happens in lots ways; including by how you do, or don't do things such as including all departments in company update meetings. Employee morale can be a barometer of productivity. There are lots of things that could be done to ensure employees feel they are important and appreciated that don't cost $. There are lots of company models out there for you to look at. An investment here would certainly pay off. Employees who feel appreciated, have a positive attitude toward the company and that yields a highly productive, enthusiastic, and satisfied employee. This can be achieved in very simple, low or no cost ways. Recognize the special skills, aptitudes or gifting of your employees, and place them in positions that utilize those hidden resources. Someone doing something they are good at is highly productive, and when an employee does well, he feel good about where he is at, and about himself. Underutilized employee gifts are wasted resources. The results will be greater productivity by all employees, and positive morale by the employees and management. Remember your employees are the Face of KraftMaid. :)

6. "Customer oriented"

Former Employee - Sander, Wiper, Repair, Detailed, Finisher in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Sander, Wiper, Repair, Detailed, Finisher in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

attention was always on the quality for their customers

Cons

the speed at which one had to do some of the larger objects, wiping off stain so as to get the smooth look desired, lifting of the larger objects should have two especially if using smaller people

Advice to Management

better gloves to help minimize wood splinters, heavier objects need two people to lift safely

"average"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor

Pros

When the economy is good, the work is all you want. For the most part there is no limit to overtime.

Cons

When the economy is good and there is alot of work, you can get jobs you might not want to do .

Advice to Management

They need to relize that drinking the kool aide, and forgetting where they come from is not always the best thing. Not all hourly people are too be looked down at.

"A good salary but you work for it"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Middlefield, OH

Pros

A great salary and good benefits. Sales reps are given a lot of freedom to manage their territory as they see fit. You hardly ever see your manager. Lower level management is easy to deal with or at least mine was.

Cons

Communication is very lacking. If you are part of the "MASCO Retail Cabinet Group" on the homecenter side expect to work a lot of hours. You can expect Home Depot employees to call you at 11 at night and 6 in the morning. You WILL take care of their customer complaint or you will regret it. You will work some weekends and evenings, more then you expect or they tell you. You may drive for hours between your daily visits if you are in a rural area. You are very disposable and upper management doesn't try and make you feel any different.

Advice to Management

Better communication!!! I felt as if upper management was very out of touch with the people in the field. Maybe they should get back out there and see what is going on. I also felt like I didn't matter to the company and of course I guess I didn't as I was laid off when times started to get a little rough.

9. "Good brand, nice product. Behind the times"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Middlefield, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Middlefield, OH

Pros

KraftMaid has a nice product, and one you believe in while you work for the company. Most every employee employee is great to work with.

Cons

Behind the times. They have a long way to go with systems, ideas and innovation before they will be able to retain top talent.

Advice to Management

Update your systems and methodology. Put things in place to make this a better functioning company and you will make more profit in the long run.

10. "Loved this company and the people that I worked with. Management at Ann Arbor has no clue how this company runs."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Middlefield, OH

I worked at KraftMaid Cabinetry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and good company. Pay was very good and competitive.

Cons

Management in Ann Arbor does not have a clue how to run this company. No interaction with the employees that do the work.

Advice to Management

Ask for the employees help and advice. These people have valuable skills and experience!

11. "Not a good place for workers"

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, most supervisors are easy to get along with

Cons

Looks at workers as a number. Lots of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. They work hard for it.