Krispy Kreme Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Krispy Kreme President and CEO Anthony Thompson
Anthony Thompson

Pros
  • Free doughnuts and decorating was fun (in 52 reviews)

• Also you get free donuts which is awesome because everyone knows Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are amazing (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay and benefits along with dealing in a very stressful situation (in 14 reviews)

• a lot upper management are Hippocrates if they like you you stay they don't respect the work done (in 14 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Doughnuts would be about it

Cons

Not great pay, clean up is messy

Advice to Management

Work harder to make working for minimum wage at a fast food chain more bearable.

2. "It Was The Best and Worst of Times"

Former Employee - Retail, Processing in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Retail, Processing in Washington, PA

I worked at Krispy Kreme part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, relatively good pay (at first,) easy days

Cons

Management is awful, petty coworkers, poor follow through on literally everything, nowhere to grow/move up, pay raises

Advice to Management

Employees are not just replaceable robots. Acknowledge the talents of employees and work with them on their faults, rather than just demeaning them.

3. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Free coffes&creamer. Free water, juice and soda

Cons

New accounting managers and employees shows favoritism

Advice to Management

Owner should come and be present in the office and observe each of employees including managers

5. "Myrev"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Madison, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Madison, TN

I have been working at Krispy Kreme (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Krispy Kreme to create Sweet Moments for both the children and the adults that come there.

Cons

Because it is in the retail feeling inability to have weekends off.

6. "It's just doughnuts!"

Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for management role. Training is thorough and mandatory. Delicious product.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent. Seems to be very little care in their employees. Sad pay and raises for hourly staff. Growth potential is limited.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to appreciate your staff. And the yearly raise scale is a joke!

7. "team member."

Former Employee - Team-Member in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Team-Member in Louisville, KY

I worked at Krispy Kreme full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the location was close to my home which made my commute to and from work relativity easy .

Cons

bad management. they over worked the team members and gave little pay to compensate for the amount of work expected of the team members.

"Could be a great company"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Hendersonville, TN
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Hendersonville, TN

I worked at Krispy Kreme (More than a year)

Pros

Free doughnuts on the job, Can have good staff if they can stick around long enough

Cons

( This is based on the experiences that I have seen from people in my state while working with them )
    Huge downsides are plenty sadly. The main thing would be pay. With the ever increasing demand of things to do from the corporate level, that must be done before opening and closing the store, it begins to get very stressful to employees trying to manage it all. Corporate makes rules that, though seem very nice on paper, cannot be done everyday in shop. There is the delusion that days will be perfect in which if they are, can be done. But if the shop that you are in is busy, the turn over-rate increases consistently due to the stress of the job and pressures that are in place, and the low pay, it makes it utterly frustrating for an individual to try and complete all the tasks; if not demotivated to do that every day you are there and be paid at such a demoralizing level.

This leads me to the other dilemma that brings the field portion of Krispy Kreme to such a negative outlook. Anyone who has achieved a degree, would not want to work there for long. Between the low pay and the constant increased demands of work, a person who has graduated from a university would only tolerate that for so long. If there was more exposure that the KK company can keep it's eyes out on those staff that have degrees and offer to put them in places where they can actually utilize their talents, or at least deviate their pay between a person whose graduated to a person whose not, they will be able to keep those individuals who took the challenge of college and are ready to bring the knowledge they gained to the company. Otherwise, it will seem like just a job for them; not a career. Which is okay for a High Schooler, but not in the least for someone whose got their Bachelors.

Another Con goes to what one may see as the main factor of my argument, is that corporate people that wish to make these rules, need to understand what it's like to work under them. Needs to see what it's like to be IN a shop at rush hour or during special days. Some regulations or dispositions they put people in are frustrating as they clearly show it comes from a person that hasn't worked in, or hasn't worked in a shop for a long while. A shop that is short staffed due to turn over, or just short staffed in general, cannot make the constantly increasing amount of products while matching the perfect ratios that we want each of our doughnuts to be; in addition, to the regular products that we already have. This frustrated employees, specifically those in the Production and Processing lines, who have some of the most difficult tasks to be finished before a certain time so that they can adequately clean up their area in preparation for the next shift.

Lastly focus more on hiring within. There were a lot of brilliant people that left the company because of being put to an interview for a promotion, then upo not getting it, finding it out it was from an outside hire that knew NOTHING about what the position entailed. If you are going to hire a person to an upper management position, and then have to TEACH them how to work the position, would could have hired an individual from the inside; specifically, if you are going to train the individual anyway. Not doing so, makes people even further fed up with the company than they are already. ( Specifically speaking to those on the field level, who are working every day, hard labor, and not being paid to at least compensate for that hard work. )

Advice to Management

1) Hire from within. And really search. If you are going to train someone for that upper level position anyway, I am sure you can find someone that you can bring from the bottom up. It encourages much more to employees that they can actually move up in the business. That, and you may miss out on some talent that could've provided something extraordinary to the company but has been given an opportunity in another place that would appreciate their talents more.

2.) Pay better. Everyone in the company knows how much everyone is working. But the people in the shops are being paid such a little rate for the staggering requirements that are made for them. When you have a job, that doesn't provide the best benefits, promotions are lack luster in being offered, and the true morale of the KK working community is lower than you broadcast, there will be a decreased effort coming out of people. But when you pay them decent enough make a living, promotions are active and Corporate is really watching, I promise there will start to be a decreased turn over rate and something employees really look forward to.

3.) Get back to the roots. Before making foolish rules that just sound pretty, actually go to the shops. Talk to the employees, the shift leaders, the managers. I promise you will get a better understanding of what the company needs. Not just popping up, shaking a few hands, and leaving. When I worked there, I saw nothing but people LITERALLY just working at KK because they had no where else to go. Meaning if they got the opportunity, they would hop and leave; and this was coming from upper management! If the company really took the time to find the problems, I promise the KK workforce would be unparalleled in the industry. We have an amazing product.... now just need to build a team that can be amazing and love what they do; not just accept it until something better comes along.

"selfish company"

Current Employee - Team Member in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Krispy Kreme part-time

Pros

paid weekly, easy work when we have staff to work and great job for high schoolers. not so much college

Cons

extremely poor GM and AGM. short ppl on raises. terrible with schedules. UNORGANIZED. NONPROFESSIONAL

Advice to Management

GET ORGANIZED! CARE ABOUT YOUR EMPLOYEES! START DOING YOUR JOB CORRECTLY!

"team member"

Current Employee - Team Member in Clemmons, NC
    Current Employee - Team Member in Clemmons, NC

I have been working at Krispy Kreme part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free coffee while working and good pay

Cons

Me and a few other choice co-workers get treated like we are the dirt at the bottom of their shoes.

Advice to Management

Realize that we give you certain times that we come in for a reason. We don't give you them because we want to sleep in or whatever. Although sleeping in may be nice we give you those times because that is the earliest time we can come in/the latest time we can stay.

"sales associate/production"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

Pros

pay weekly, meeting new people and flexible schedules

Cons

everything else. The management is terrible and people don't work at all. The management yells at the people who acutully work rather than people who don't. people always leave early. I've been working production for about 2 months now and still haven't gotten my raise

Advice to Management

actually manage instead of doing nothing