Kroger Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2018

Detroit, MI Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You need to push for work-life balance - not natural to the culture (in 212 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 290 reviews)

1. "Pharmacist"

Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Clinical Staff Pharmacist in Troy, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, good benefits

Cons

Management team- favoritism towards people of same ethnic background. Unequal treatment to others.

Advice to Management

Fairness- equal opportunity

2. "E-Commerce (Click List Selector)"

Current Employee - Click List Selector in Northville, MI
    Current Employee - Click List Selector in Northville, MI

I have been working at Kroger (More than a year)

Pros

It helps pay the bills, job opportunites, helps build confidence

Cons

At the moment the job is understaffed at the moment and it's hard to deliver groceries on time. Management does not understand the Click List Program and half of the producks are out of stock

Advice to Management

Learn more about Click List, stock more items.

3. "Courtesy clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clair Shores, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clair Shores, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays minimum wage (minors)

Cons

Extreme insensitivity to personal problems
    Working outside during winter months

4. "Burger King in Store associate"

Former Employee - Burger King Team Member in Ferndale, MI
    Former Employee - Burger King Team Member in Ferndale, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn how to make there food, the day go by fast ,there dress code is not a problem and the pay is decent.

Cons

The same smell makes you want there menu less and thats not good. The use of profanities behind the scene is terrible.

Advice to Management

Always record the performance of your workers not just physically but mentally .

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time

Pros

Great hidden paycheck benefits ie insurance, 401k, discounts, etc. Salary is ok, but since you're required to work 50+ hours a week, the hourly rate is not worth the time and stress. Don't get overtime because they'll offer just enough salary to meet legal regulations.

Cons

Stressful, 10+ hour days, work all weekends, holidays, evenings, never a set schedule, constantly changing; hard to make plans. Expectations from upper management are unnatainable but expected from them who have not worked in a store in years. And you're not given tools, or enough time to meet their demands. Can't hire hourly employees due to low pay mostly (people can't survive this day in age earning $9-11/hr at part time!) Company slashes hours in order to make up for frivolous spent $, and uses the excuse of trying to keep prices down in order to remain competitive against Amazon, Wal-Mart etc. Ironically, everyone I know or meet says kroger is still more expensive. Can't get promoted unless you impress the "right" people or are young and have no experience so they can "mold" you to what they want.

Advice to Management

Reduce hours required to work by salaried employees, pay more to all, be realistic in expectations, go back into the stores and actually work and see what it's like dealing with customers, employees, and all of the demands you put into place and see if you can do any better than all of us who gets nothing but negative feedback for our hard work and efforts.

6. "Summer Job before College"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Kroger (Less than a year)

Pros

Not too bad hours, had another job and vacation. They were quite flexible when I told them upfront. But the manager interviewing me was then transferred to another store so the newer one was all confused when I had vacation AFTER I CLEARED IT WITH THE OLD MANAGER. She assured me she would tell the new manager.

Cons

Some staff in the Deli were soooo picky; they would make issues with me just because I was the youngest by a good decade.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

7. "Narcissistic company beware"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Troy, MI

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Toward the end when I quit there were no pro's. No room for advancement, abusive co workers, smear campaigns that went on unchecked. Management did nothing but shrug their shoulders and tell me its a union shop, they could not just fire people for covert harassment. This company encourages narcissistic abuse and covert type abuse. Is internally competitive, childish and juvenile. Beware of something called the culture council as well. There is usually a psychopath that leads this cult to brainwash other employees to think everything is ok within the company and to over look covert abuse, rumors slander and smear campaigns

Cons

Everything. After working for this company for over 10 years full time in the same department and same store I came to realize that I was just being used as a scapegoat for other peoples insecurities within the store. Lazy sociopathic co workers that create the illusion that their contributions are important when they are not while smearing all the good workers and creating a nightmarish workplace environment. If anyone has any self respect they will not stay at an evil place like this. Unions should go away because they are part of the problem and devolution of retail business.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the narcissism before it gets rid of you.

8. "its ok could b better"

Current Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, easy work, good atmosphere , good benefits for all

Cons

salary salary salary ohh and did I say salary

Advice to Management

pay a working wage and you can keep people

9. "P/T for two years"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in New Baltimore, MI
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in New Baltimore, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're in school, they're really flexible with your schedule. There's opportunities to move up, especially on the front end.

Cons

It's retail and the customer is always right. If you don't like customer service don't pick this job. There's a lack of concern for the employees and customers are basically allowed to be unreasonable and still get their way.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like trash

10. "Proceed with caution"

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Clarkston, MI
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Clarkston, MI

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

Nice coworkers, lots of job options, Union, perks for working there

Cons

Not informed of what's going on, waiting weeks for first check, no communication among management

Advice to Management

Re-train management at Clarkston, MI (Dixie Hwy) location. Organization is horrible.

Showing 204 of 7,076 reviews