Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance - More work with same/less resources (in 169 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 262 reviews)

1. "Kroger will ruin your career...."

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good paid time off package. Employee discount on groceries. There really are tons of good people that work for Kroger. You will make lots of new friends.

Cons

If you ever want to see your family or friends again, this is not the job for you. Work/life balance is non-existant even though Corporate HR preaches it. If your OSAT scores start slacking expect to be forced by the DM to work even more hours. 60 hour work weeks are the norm even though you are contracted at 45. If you are an educated young professional expect all of your senior leadership to not have as much business acumen as you. Kroger is really good about promoting based on tenure and not on skills or education. The company is changing vastly over the past 5 years. Senior leadership doesn't care about the people anymore. You will barely have enough hours to run a store and you are expected to fill in the gaps.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. They are the reason that you have had so much success. Once all of your senior associates retires, you will have absolutely nobody to run your stores.

2. "Kroger Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Athens, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun co workers.

Cons

Low pay, Store management not cool

3. "Worse HR dept ever"

Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Galveston, TX
    Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Galveston, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not much to say. I had heard this company was great to work for. Maybe they are But this location is the worse. Only good thing is a few good employees.

Cons

HR department mixed up my SS number and birth date with another new hire and it took them a month to fix it. Meanwhile the other employee quit and had access to my personal information for. Was lied to about being able to change availability when getting new school schedule. Women runn9ing HR department always acted like I was bothering them when I went to ask them about something. I was hired with 8 other people only 3 out of the 9 remain and its only been a little over a month.

Advice to Management

Revamp your HR department and department managers and you might keep employees

4. "Awful"

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in North Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in North Zanesville, OH

Pros

The only pro is the discount card.

Cons

Management are not friendly to people of color

Advice to Management

Don't threaten to beat the crap out of your employees.

5. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC

Pros

I enjoy working with Kroger because of the wonderful Customers who shop there.

Cons

Too many young people who don't like coming to work and the many call outs.

Advice to Management

Employ people who are dependable.

"I'd rather have AIDS!"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent people and customers you get to know and like on a daily basis. Other than that, let's get to the next part

Cons

I think my title describes the nature of my grievances. This company is cancerous on the morale of any individual. Cinci Dayton division presidents are a joke and have driven this company down.

Advice to Management

Bring back The previous 3 division presidents. They were awesome and didn't crap on all the stores like the current bullpen. Visits are all about "you're not doing this right" instead of "how can we help you?"

"Don't believe the positive scores"

Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Store Assistant Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with great people at store level, and enjoy the customers

Cons

If anyone gives this company more than a 1-star, I believe they work for HR. No one is happy in the stores. Sadly the management in the Cincinnati Dayton division (President/Vice President/District Managers) are RED management and pound everyone when they visit the stores. Every department head and store assistant manager are job hunting. They are bailing out as fast as they can find a job. I personally know 3 people who have had a nervous breakdown because of the stress. Wake up Kroger. You are HURTING your own people. Awful place to work. If you aren't on high blood pressure medicine, you will be.

Advice to Management

Treat us like a valuable part of your company. Forcing us to smile and acknowledge customers like we are happy will come back on you one day.

8. "Corporate Boys Club"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with great people outside the company.

Cons

After 6 years at the corporate procurement office, even with prior experience and a master's degree, I couldn't get promoted to the management level. I lost track of the number of people I trained for a position I was denied repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Value all the people in the organization and show them that they matter. Ignoring employees who have proven they are highly skilled at their job and the industry they work in in favor of hiring friends and family members of the management team is a huge weakness in your organization.

9. "Pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy in Plano, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interview process went very quickly, and I was able to start working soon after accepting the job offer. It was convenient to be able to buy groceries after my shift.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, erratic scheduling, customers got me sick all the time, was forced to go to work with the flu, bad management, high turnover rate, outdated computer and phone systems, stressful job.

Advice to Management

I was hired part time and switched to full time hours plus overtime when one of the full time technicians quit. When I finally asked management to officially switch me to full time status after months of working full time with no benefits, they immediately cut my hours from 40+ down to 12 hours/week. I sent out my resume and completed 2 phone interviews at lunch the day I saw that they cut my hours, got a new job, and immediately quit working at Kroger. If you have a high turnover rate, maybe you should reconsider the way you treat your employees.

10. "Kroger Sucks"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Irving, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

Weekly pay
    Willingness to hire people with no experience
    Close to home

Cons

$7.65 per hour
    Pushing carts