Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

1,005 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Flexible schedule in a industry that will forever thrive (in 232 reviews)

• Flexible hours; Friendly staff; Safe work environment; (in 209 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - More work with same/less resources (in 165 reviews)

• Wages are barely above minimum wage to start (in 249 reviews)

1. "senority"

Former Employee - Clicklist Associate in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Clicklist Associate in Katy, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the joy of giving customer satisfaction

Cons

job performance and senority are the past

Advice to Management

be fair not scared, and customer 1st not you 1st

2. "I wish I never worked here"

Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fairborn, OH
    Current Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Fairborn, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

weekly pay (sometimes)
    most coworkers are great people I will truly miss

Cons

I'm a senior in high school and I'm not getting any of the time off I need for my school functions. My pay stub gets screwed up almost every other week, and sometimes I've gone without being paid for a week or two. I get very minimal hours and I've been scheduled while I'm either in school or when I am unavailable and have been yelled at for not showing up during those times when I've already communicated I could not be there. There are also a few of my coworkers who have become inappropriate with me and other female workers which management refuses to do anything about. I used to love my job but now its the bane of my existence.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and work with them before you lose all the good ones.

3. "Ok job if you're young"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work with your schedule. Coworkers have a lot in common. If you're a good worker you are either appreciated (pro) or taken advantage of (con).

Cons

The managers act like Kroger is your whole life. It's very hard to leave. I am 23 and I told them that I don't feel that I have a future in the grocery industry. I put in my 2 week notice and they guilt me every day for wanting to leave. The manager sees you're a good worker and she takes advantage of you and if you're not a good worker she talks about you behind your back. I want to leave on good terms, but I'm so tired. I've been working there for 6 months and already ready to leave.

Advice to Management

Encourage young people to be more than just a grocery store manager. Encourage them to follow their dreams.

"Assistant Customer Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Customer Service Coordinator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good with training and personal development.

Pretty forward-thinking. Kroger does not rest on its laurels and sees where the market is heading for future growth.

Does truly care for its customers.

Cons

Everything is important at the same time. Am I focusing on Queuevision? Keeping the lines down at the service desk? Making sure we have the lot cleared of carts/the department is in order? Making sure people are using the mobile SCO attendant?Hawking credit cards? No staff to make it happen? Tough.

Recruiting is impossible. Those who get hired quit shortly after due to burnout, then tell their friends who in turn do not apply.

Compensation is terrible for new hires. Minimum wage minus one hour a week for union dues. Most of this I actually blame on the long-term associates themselves when they rate how they want the union to negotiate contracts (long timers vote to raise their pay while the new hires don't bother because they'll only be there for a year at most) but it further adds to the recruiting and burnout problem.

Everything is focused on reaching the overall satisfaction score, even though you can only get that rating when a customer gives you a perfect five. That's all fine except for the many customers who rate a 4 and say "I'm never highly satisfied" or "I just came in to pick up some milk, nothing special." Que the self flagellation.

From what I understand, this is mostly an issue in the central Ohio market and might not be indicative of Kroger as a whole.

Advice to Management

Breathe a little bit and find out what your true priorities are. Yes, brick and mortar retail is in a difficult spot right now and looking to the future is key (great job with expanding online/curbsite pickup.) Make sure you have the products in store at decent prices, treat your associates right and they'll take care of the customer. Distilling everything down to a score and beating people over the head with nastygrams gets talent - myself included - to go elsewhere.

"Treated like a resource, not a person"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger (Less than a year)

Pros

Smith's has lot of resources and opportunities for employees, and many benefits that increase with the more hours that you work for them. You will get promoted for working hard, but raises are few and far between; they are usually quick to demote those with a poor work ethic. If you happen to apply to an already healthy store, you will be fine.

Cons

It's a "work-to-win" system, as a new part-time employee will receive no benefits.
    Management is very apathetic towards employees, they want results, and don't care if your department is understaffed.
    The OSAT score that they push employees to strive for is an inherently broken system and promotes an unhealthy work environment.
    The willingness to work around your schedule for a college student is completely dependent on your department manager, you may or may not have a bad experience with that. No store consistency.
    A promotion will often lead to more responsibility with little compensation for the extra stress. Many managers are asked to transfer to other stores on a whim every few months.

Advice to Management

Smith's puts a lot of effort into training their staff for the sake of having their company associated with good customer service. But your employees are not drones to do as you say. If you want happy employees that want to "feed the human spirit" and are motivated to help customers, then treat them with respect. Stop pushing stressors further down the totem pole. If you want to know how to best run a department, trust and ask advice from people who actually work there, don't create more blind policy changes that would only have a beneficial effect for half of your stores.

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Mesquite, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's air conditioning and it's not a dirty job.

Cons

-Overworked and underpayed.
    -I asked for a part time job and I'm working close to 40 hours a week at $7.75 an hour.
    -It is a very boring job because you do the same task all the time.
    -Customers are rude and feel entitled.
    -Co workers aren't close as friends.

Advice to Management

There is never enough cashiers or courtesy clerks working the front and the lines get really backed up. Also quit expecting maximum performance for minimum pay.

8. "Treated like slaves"

Current Employee - Grocery Bagger in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Bagger in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are for the most part nice to you and you meet some nice people

Cons

You're treated like a slave and get paid next to nothing, you also get terrible hours if you have a busy schedule.

Advice to Management

Pay better wages and don't treat us as a resource

9. "Pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice customers and environment overall

Cons

short staff and bad manager

"There were upsides and downsides"

Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Drug/GM Clerk in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Union, Able to view work schedule and paycheck online and in advance, Brand Recognition, Fast Paced, Always something to do.

Cons

Rude and lazy Co-workers, Un-competitive pay, long hours, unreasonable expectations on occasion. The companies tries hard to maintain excellence in service and maintain a strong corporate culture, however due to low wages, turnover is high, and the employees who do stay, don't buy in to the culture or values and do the bare minimum AT ALL TIMES.

Advice to Management

Stop yelling at customers to switch lines to fit your queuing requirements, they do not like it.

"Its good for a "Starting out" job."

Former Employee - QuickList Associate in Stone Mountain, GA
    Former Employee - QuickList Associate in Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn the layout of the store. Making personal shopping less tedious.
    You get a 10% discount with your employee discount.
    You learn a lot about foods and the process made to make it sellable.
    They are pretty lax about scheduling.

Cons

The pay is horrible for the amount of work you do.
    They can be very shady about how they decide to let you know when/IF they let you go.
    The managers are usually compiled of cliques.
    They will take full advantage of your strengths and won't pay you a dime more.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect no matter the race.

Showing 1,005 of 5,586 reviews