Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

1,391 Ratings

5,972 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to maintain work life balance (in 172 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 264 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"More Than Most Know"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High associate engagement and appreciation for the contributions of associates. Good benefits including, medical, dental, vision, 401k contributions and more.

Cons

None. Except, some may plateau with few options for growth. However, If you are looking for a workplace of world class standards and staying power, this is the one. Many associates retire here with 40+ years with the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive in breaking barriers to reach new heights.

"It's a job, and better than unemployment"

Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Associate in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

Comparatively speaking, the pay is decent for the type of work. Certain departments are easier to work in than others, of course, but if you're starting out, or trying to get through college, then it's a good choice.

Cons

Brain-dead management at the department, store, and zone level. No one communicates anything that you actually need to know. When they do dispense information, it's all three reading from the same script, so it comes off as that scene in Office Space where everyone is reminding the guy about the coversheet for the TPS reports.

Advice to Management

Provide valuable communication. We don't want talking points about what to tell customers when the prices are going up due to fuel costs. We don't want useless store competitions that benefit the store management. We want to know why the warehouses can't pack and ship anything without destroying at least 10 percent of the product. We want to know why trucks get dispatched on a non-standard schedule.

"At Least It Is A Check"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cross Lanes, WV
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cross Lanes, WV

Pros

Weekly paycheck at most Kroger stores.

Cons

You are working with teenagers, so if you are older you will be reminded of it everyday. Half of the employees just stand around and do nothing while you are working your butt off. The people definitely act their age and management does nothing when you complain.

Advice to Management

I would tell management to get a backbone and stop being pushovers. They have rules set up but they never enforce them thus people do what they want there.

"Work hard for minimum pay"

Former Employee - Produce Manager in Madison, IN
    Former Employee - Produce Manager in Madison, IN

Pros

with it being a small company you get to know the other employees better and form a better relationship with them. Everything was very routine so there weren't alot of unexpected surprises day to day. At the very least, you got your breaks on time and your day off was your day off. Doing your specific job alone meant you knew the job was going to be done right and you could schedule the way you wanted to do things your own was according to what suited you best personally. You were allowed to leave on lunch break which some companies do not allow.

Cons

Very low pay based on amount of work done. I did alot of heavy lifting and did the whole job with no help. I was hired and trained to eventually replace 2 full time and several part time associates and did it for less pay. Shortly after I started I realized I was alone in doing the job and found it very difficult to stay caught up and do my job effectively. I received very little pay, only a little more than a cashier who had a simple joob requiring little effort. Management just assumed I could handle it and took no advice from store manager.

Advice to Management

Consider better pay for a better job, could be a good incentive

"Kroger...could be the best, but it's far from it"

Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Oxford, OH
    Current Employee - Grocery Clerk in Oxford, OH

Pros

Benefits and the fact that I'm lucky to have a job in our economy.

Cons

Made to feel subhuman by management. Starting salary and pay raises a smack in the face. Respect, compassion, decency & common sense all got thrown out the window here. Being one of the highest grossing stores in the region b/c we rip off the college kids with sky high prices=our management can get away with anything (just keep bringing in the money, we don't care how you do it).

Advice to Management

Where to start?! Walk a mile in your lowest paid employee's shoes, then we'll talk.

"Fresh blood in a level of management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

If you hate unions, you will fit in. We have fun with that.

Cons

The white males like to take on most of the responsibility and make the important decisions. The white females are smothered and protected like little girls. We don't get much responsibility, we are treated different than males, we get praise for every simple thing we do. We probably get the highest pay raises eventhough we don't have much to do and we don't deserve it. I didn't get my engineering degree to not use it the way I could. I wish we all used a uniform that prevented the distinction between males and females. I don't want smiles and nice treatment from my boss and others, I want the same treatment that male employees get.
    Black people do not seem to be wanted here. It doesn't impact me because I am white, but I notice and hear the conversations. They are only welcome in the operator level.

Advice to Management

Some of us want to have a lot responsibilities and to deal with the issues that come with it. Some of us don't like to be smothered and protected like little girls. We want to be treated like male employees. We don't want to be praised for every simple thing we do. We want as much and more responsibility as males and we want to be allowed to fail and learn from it because that will make us better. We can only become great women by doing a lot, failing a lot and overcoming the power of the men. We want the jobs of our male bosses.

"Horrible work-life-balance"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Morgantown, WV

Pros

Decent Benifits. Thats about it.

Cons

Work 60 hours every week. Most of the time on evenings and weekends. On Sundays we worked from 9 in the morning to 11 at night. Union was a pain to deal with. Had to put on dog and pony shows the the district manager about once a month. Customers always want something for free.

Advice to Management

If you really want to know how a store is ran stay for longer than an hour once a month.

8. "In a terrible job market, this one has some stability."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Hours are flexible. There are benefits, which are becoming very rare. There are lots of great customers who are good to serve.

Cons

Very little upward mobility. Young white males are groomed for management. Lately, people with disabilities are disappearing from the employment roles.With all the emphasis on speed, anyone who doesn't measure up gets no hours, no matter how good they are with customers. Women seem very numerous in traditional female jobs (cashiers, bakery) but seem rare in other areas.

Advice to Management

You seem to believe that keeping your employees in the dark is the best policy. Why don't you communicate with them? Why don't you spell out your rules and policies from the start?

9. "Cashier? No...Bagger"

Former Employee - Cashier in Bardstown, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bardstown, KY

Pros

Many of the employees were very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, most of the helpful hints given differed, so a new employee had no clue whatsoever as to what the process actually was, but heard other employees complain about when something didn't go 'right'.

Cons

Extremely low starting salary. (Informed that it really wasn't bad...five cents above minimum wage!)Failure to communicate. Failure to follow up with new employees, as far as progress and expectations. Inconsistant and contradictory instuctions. Misleading information regarding being promoted to fulltime employee.

Advice to Management

Deal honestly with employees, regarding transfer or promotion possibilities. Quit blaming employees for scheduling errors. Try for some consistancy with hours, days, etc. Schedule further out than one week, so that part-time employees can attempt to schedule their lives. Considering that a new employee has no benefits, no union protection, and no guarantee of hours, working with the employee might ensure that the employee will try to become a "regular full time" employee.

10. "Corporate trying to change but not seeing it in stores"

Current Employee - Store Management in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Store Management in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

They are hiring in a poor economy.

Cons

Kroger corporate is attempting to make the change to "green leadership" but are failing to make the necessary changes within the stores. Within the stores, everything is still under the good old boy system. If you are new to the organization, I think you will be disappointed. Senior management ignores you at best, pins all the negatives on you at worst. The few store managers I have worked for have been indoctrinated into the old way of things where, as long as you make a profit, other things will be overlooked- including time card fraud, OSHA and Health Code violations and nepotism to the point of union grievances over the unequal disciplinary action of policy infractions.
    Add to that the poor work life balance and you have a wonderful chance at being happy!

Advice to Management

Actually visit a store in the evening when the most senior management leaves for the day. Walk with a department head or co-manager. Ask questions about the day to day leadership (or lack thereof). Compare KRONOS clocked in employees to the actual employees there.

Showing 5,972 of 6,040 reviews