Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

1,185 reviews

1,185 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not really a fair home/work life balance (in 201 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 286 reviews)

1. "Barista"

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is really good granted you stay there a long time. Schedules CAN be flexible but again, also depending on if you've been there a long time. I was there 4 years.

Cons

Although the pay is good its always based off of the amount of time you're there, not how hard you work. Also, trying to get your schedule to work around another job or college is almost near impossible unless you have been there awhile or somehow find a team that's alright not taking the shifts you want.
    There's always a constant turn around, for various reasons. At the first Starbucks, I was at the manager was verbally abusive (as an example she called me stupid my first week of training). I and other employees went to management several times but it was never helped. It wasn't until almost two years later after I had already transfered to two other stores that I finally learned she had been demoted and transfered.

Advice to Management

Value your employees by how hard they work not how long they've been there and you will keep more and have harder workers.

2. "Kroger Isn't Kroger Anymore"

I worked at Kroger full-time

Pros

Nothing anymore. Rodney McMullen has killed Kroger.

Cons

Too many to list.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like dirt.

"Stress haven"

Current Employee - Cashier in Georgetown, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier in Georgetown, KY

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union benefits such as paid 15 minute break and health insurance. Also union members can first pick for job openings for other stores and departments.

Cons

High volume store which results in being busy.

Management can care less about thge employee as long customers are submitting good survey's

Department leaders take there frustration on the department workers because management is hard on them.

Underpaid job with no opportunity for raises due to union. Start out at minimum wage of $7.25 and wait for 6 months for a 10 cent raise.

Advice to Management

My advice is to learn to relax and have trust in the employee.

4. "Not the best job out there"

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits, ok pay scale

Cons

Management is unreliable, you can be doing everything right but if management doesn’t like you they will find a way to force you out, management covers for supervisors even if there is plenty of evidence against the supervisors, makes your feel guilty if you do have to miss Work and use sick time

5. "Weekly pay"

Current Employee - Associate in Bowling Green, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Bowling Green, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, and health care

Cons

Holidays weekends and barley any pay raises

Advice to Management

Be kind to all employees

6. "Cashier"

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

The people I worked with were nice

Cons

The hours I would get would qualify me as a full time employee

7. "Ok place overall not so great management depending on what store your at"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Columbus, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have flexible hours are are usually pretty conveniently located plus you can have direct deposit or paper checks, whatever you prefer.

Cons

They will try to get you fired for whatever they can if they don’t like you for whatever reason they can, I got paid below minimum wage, and they fired me for not knowing what happened with an LP agent on an audit

Advice to Management

Remember that people are humans to and we can not remember exactly what happened 2 months after it happened

8. "Cashier"

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on items and nice people to work with.

Cons

Needed to work on weekends. Low pay. I did not join the union and I asked questions during my training because they come in. They deduct at least $8.00 from your paycheck every week. They spin it like it is a one time thing. It was not enough money for the job and responsibility. $7.95 an hour?!

9. "Abominable pay"

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the customers and most of my coworkers

Cons

I get a nickel an hour raise annually. After 2 years, I make 8.40/hour.

Advice to Management

They won't listen, so why bother?

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Kroger full-time

Pros

Great hidden paycheck benefits ie insurance, 401k, discounts, etc. Salary is ok, but since you're required to work 50+ hours a week, the hourly rate is not worth the time and stress. Don't get overtime because they'll offer just enough salary to meet legal regulations.

Cons

Stressful, 10+ hour days, work all weekends, holidays, evenings, never a set schedule, constantly changing; hard to make plans. Expectations from upper management are unnatainable but expected from them who have not worked in a store in years. And you're not given tools, or enough time to meet their demands. Can't hire hourly employees due to low pay mostly (people can't survive this day in age earning $9-11/hr at part time!) Company slashes hours in order to make up for frivolous spent $, and uses the excuse of trying to keep prices down in order to remain competitive against Amazon, Wal-Mart etc. Ironically, everyone I know or meet says kroger is still more expensive. Can't get promoted unless you impress the "right" people or are young and have no experience so they can "mold" you to what they want.

Advice to Management

Reduce hours required to work by salaried employees, pay more to all, be realistic in expectations, go back into the stores and actually work and see what it's like dealing with customers, employees, and all of the demands you put into place and see if you can do any better than all of us who gets nothing but negative feedback for our hard work and efforts.

Showing 1,185 of 6,805 reviews