Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

1,970 reviews

1,970 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to maintain work life balance (in 174 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 266 reviews)

1. "My Kroger review"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sulphur, LA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sulphur, LA

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liked providing customer service

Cons

Kroger pharmacy always had the most minimum people working and expected employees to do a 3 person job all day even through peak hours

Advice to Management

Hire more employees

2. "Would like more support from 24-Seven"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Kroger as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

good location, nice people, parking

Cons

poorly managed, no voice , poor treatment of contractors

Advice to Management

Include contractors in conversations, offe them employment at some point rather than keeping them as contract endlessly

3. "Decent first job"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Shelby Township, MI
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Kroger (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule (mostly), schedule always came two weeks in advance, friendly peers, easy to adjust to, fast but not overwhelmingly paced

Cons

The very low pay (especially in comparison to the labor), the hours, through the computer system it could take over a month to have an approved vacation

Advice to Management

During the school year, take into consideration the minor workers school schedules before scheduling for work. Also, this is more of a corporate thing, but close down a store before opening a new one. Our store had this huge rush to hire a bunch of workers for every department, then after the store opened and started suffering, they had to lay off a ton of people. People who actually needed the extra money got laid off.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customers are typically nice. Not to stressful.

Cons

Management is always very iffy. Hour are bad. Pay is very questionable. They don't train you on how to actually do your job properly in the massive amounts of hours you spend at the training center.

Advice to Management

Treat your Crew member better. They are your key to happy customers.

5. "Experience in Multiple Positions at Kroger"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kroger is definitely right for you if you love a lot of coworkers! I was hired as a courtesy clerk, and promoted to cashier & self-checkout attendant within 5 months. I loved my time at Kroger because the atmosphere was friendly and you really create great bonds with your coworkers. Plus, customers are always interesting people! They had an awesome schedule system when I worked there, where you could log in using the internet anytime from home and see your schedule/ask for days off. Your days off are almost always approved since there is usually an abundance of employees at big grocery stores such as this one! I also had a 10% off Kroger brands employee discount when I was there, which wasn't a lot. Employees also sometimes get bonus fuel points just for being employees!

Cons

The pay isn't too good. Just above minimum wage when I worked there. And, if you get promoted (like I did) and don't remind your supervisor to give you a raise, you won't get one. There are always "union" people ready to pounce on employees in the store to try and get them to join the "union" by offering them free-pizza type discounts and goodies. The shifts can be late into the night (1am) if you are the closing self-checkout person, or 11pm if you are the closing cashier or courtesy clerk.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the raises they deserve. Acknowledge someone when they do their job well, and give them chances to lead.

6. "My job at Kroger"

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay
    Easy job
    Communication skills
    You

Cons

Managers
    Scheduling
    Co-workers
    Customers
    Hourly wage

Advice to Management

They should manage their workers better than what they do now because they suck at it now

7. "Pharmacy Technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Kroger (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of available hours to work since the grocery store has long hours. Nice to be able to do shopping after work without driving elsewhere. Good employee perks, even for part time people.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT! The Pharmacist in my store had been at that store for 20 years & had people who would leave and come back the next day if they came in and she wasn't there. She knew the "traffic flow" at that pharmacy better than anyone but she was still shackled by management wanting to dictate to her when and how many hours she could schedule us to work. As a result, we would be short staffed some days and have too many people on others because management's scheduling requirements didn't match up with the reality of the customer load.

Advice to Management

Let your Lead Pharmacist have the freedom to run the pharmacy as each location has its own ebb and flow, and do not force cookie cutter scheduling on them.

8. "Produce Clerk"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Rochester Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk in Rochester Hills, MI

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got a lot of experience in the natural foods department as a backup manager. Although that was not my official title. If you work hard you can move up. Definitely work around school schedules

Cons

Wages are not the best, but got me through college.

Advice to Management

Know your employees, and their work ethic.

9. "Good company with great growth opportunities but start young."

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very solid company financially! Still growing market share here and nationwide and acquiring other franchises nationally. Will be around for a long time! Sharing success offers hourly employees an hourly bonus 4 times per year

Cons

Real management experience doesn't get recognized. So, starting salary is low. 50 hour work week minimum! Often times finds newer managers are glorified stock people. Great teammates

Advice to Management

Realize the quality and experience you already have!

10. "Retail"

Current Employee - Home Clerk in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Home Clerk in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Everyone tries to help each other out. Also with each season the work load tends to change in the usualy day to day work.

Cons

A lot of difficult customers but thats to be expected in retail. Also theres long periods of physical labor which can be a strain on the body.

Showing 1,970 of 6,041 reviews