Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

Kroger Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to maintain work life balance (in 174 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 266 reviews)

1. "Awful"

Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in North Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Grocery Stocker in North Zanesville, OH

Pros

The only pro is the discount card.

Cons

Management are not friendly to people of color

Advice to Management

Don't threaten to beat the crap out of your employees.

2. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC

Pros

I enjoy working with Kroger because of the wonderful Customers who shop there.

Cons

Too many young people who don't like coming to work and the many call outs.

Advice to Management

Employ people who are dependable.

3. "awful"

Former Employee - Produce Clerk
    Former Employee - Produce Clerk

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

some coworkers were cool sometimes

Cons

being forced to do other peoples work and then get yelled at for not finishing everything myself; management cursed at employees a lot

Advice to Management

It's a TEAM effort; also speak to your employees without using curse words/belittling

"I'd rather have AIDS!"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent people and customers you get to know and like on a daily basis. Other than that, let's get to the next part

Cons

I think my title describes the nature of my grievances. This company is cancerous on the morale of any individual. Cinci Dayton division presidents are a joke and have driven this company down.

Advice to Management

Bring back The previous 3 division presidents. They were awesome and didn't crap on all the stores like the current bullpen. Visits are all about "you're not doing this right" instead of "how can we help you?"

5. "Minimum wage and no appreciation for a good job"

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with some nice and friendly people and get to build your customer service level up. Dept managers are very helpful but not store management

Cons

No appreciation and schedule is up and down every 2 weeks. It's hard to balance work life balance with this company and the high demands for the employees at what they start of paying

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees

6. "Hard work pays off"

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

I started with Kroger at 16 years old and I've never looked back. If you work hard and do your job you will have no problems.

Cons

Over the years my schedule has never been set. You will not work the 9-5 everyday your hours will change

Advice to Management

I realize every store is not the same but if each manager takes the time and engages everyday with the employees a lot of the conflicts that arises could be solved before the employee finds employment else where

7. "Corporate Boys Club"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Ash, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with great people outside the company.

Cons

After 6 years at the corporate procurement office, even with prior experience and a master's degree, I couldn't get promoted to the management level. I lost track of the number of people I trained for a position I was denied repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Value all the people in the organization and show them that they matter. Ignoring employees who have proven they are highly skilled at their job and the industry they work in in favor of hiring friends and family members of the management team is a huge weakness in your organization.

8. "Pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy in Plano, TX

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The interview process went very quickly, and I was able to start working soon after accepting the job offer. It was convenient to be able to buy groceries after my shift.

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, erratic scheduling, customers got me sick all the time, was forced to go to work with the flu, bad management, high turnover rate, outdated computer and phone systems, stressful job.

Advice to Management

I was hired part time and switched to full time hours plus overtime when one of the full time technicians quit. When I finally asked management to officially switch me to full time status after months of working full time with no benefits, they immediately cut my hours from 40+ down to 12 hours/week. I sent out my resume and completed 2 phone interviews at lunch the day I saw that they cut my hours, got a new job, and immediately quit working at Kroger. If you have a high turnover rate, maybe you should reconsider the way you treat your employees.

9. "Kroger Sucks"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk/Bagger in Irving, TX

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

Weekly pay
    Willingness to hire people with no experience
    Close to home

Cons

$7.65 per hour
    Pushing carts
    Management
    Supervisors
    Boring
    Busy around Thanksgiving and Christmas

10. "Tired of being jerked around"

Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Montgomery, OH
    Former Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Montgomery, OH

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had some previous positive experiences working here, and Kroger has many entry level Jobs that are fairly easy to get.

Cons

You must be full time to get a consistent work schedule, something they call "status 3". I had applied to a bigger store with an opening in Murray's cheese store hoping to get away from working as a bagger/cashier on the front end. The 2nd day I was working there I was told by management that I was going to got to Starbucks to help out for a bit, and that it would be temporary. After the 2rd week of woking closing shift at Starbucks I pressed management and hr about what was going on and they finally told me that I was over there permanently. I was not happy with this and was given the option to go right back to the front end. After about a year of working up front again and being unhappy (I would have taken a job at the Kroger much closer to me that did not have a Murray's cheese store if I knew they were going to do this.) I could no longer commute the distance and needed a job closer to my house. When I tried to transfer to a kroger 5 min from my house they acted like it was no problem at first, and I should be able to transfer soon. Then after several months of trying with no success I said "Ok, I am going to put in my two weeks notice, or transfer what ever happens first." and the response was, like oh no, we don't want you to quit, we can definitely transfer you before two weeks are up. And then two weeks went by, and still no success.
    I eventually started talking to the closer Kroger hr directly, and they put me on the schedule for the next week. Success!
    Well, not quite. My first week working at the new Kroger I get a phone call at my old kroger asking where am I? I said I was working at the new Kroger and they said "But, we need you to come in..." I said I cannot and will not do it anymore and just got an "Oh..."
    Once I was in the closer Fairfield Kroger management was very snide and condescending to me, and I appeared to be hated! I had worked at this Kroger in the past and had been very well liked and told I was one of their best baggers.
    This time around I was told I was one of their worst employees. I finally gave up and quit after several miserable months of this bull. My only regret is that I didn't quit sooner and leave that toxic environment!

Advice to Management

Communicate more about what is going on with your employees and don't lie it will only breed resentment, mistrust and low employee moral!

Showing 774 of 6,046 reviews