Kroger Reviews | Glassdoor

Kroger Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to maintain work life balance (in 184 reviews)

• Minimum wage never bothered me as a highschooler but now that I'm reaching the end of my college years it's not cutting it for me anymore (in 273 reviews)

1. "Very low pay compared to similar jobs with terrible management."

Current Employee - Clicklist Attendant in Christiansburg, VA
    Current Employee - Clicklist Attendant in Christiansburg, VA

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Kroger does have flexible hours and decent benefits for full time.

Cons

Incompetent/Unapproachable Management
    Management berates you
    Understaffed, therefore little to no breaks
    High expectations, little to no incentive
    Rampant Favoritism
    Poor part time benefits

Advice to Management

Number one, raise your pay. You're expecting so much out of your employees for low wages. Two, actually listen to your employees and don't berate them, especially in front of customers for a simple mistake your employee may have made. Three, more staff is needed. My department is always scrambling around because we're understaffed. I usually have to work 10+ hours on busy days with zero of the 3 "guaranteed" breaks. Favoritism needs to be checked and corrected.

2. "Cashier"

I worked at Kroger (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, nice Co workers

Cons

Everything. Absolutely everything. Low staff, low pay, horrible management. Management acts more like a clicky highschool rather than adults. They even scheduled highschool students on the day of their graduation.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and treat people like human beings.

3. "Barista"

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

You receive a weekly paycheck.

Cons

Long hours with terrible pay, including overtime.

4. "Terrible place to work they treat new employees like crap if you work in a bakery get prepared to get walked on"

Current Employee - Cake Decorator
    Current Employee - Cake Decorator

I have been working at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you decorate cakes and your new the non decorators will come and tell you how to do your work when they themselves dont decorate very low pay nothing but drama

Cons

If you like protein they have gnats in the icing for you

Advice to Management

Start hiring people that dont rip into your new decorators that dont know how to even decorate there self clean house maybe the new people you bring in will stay and pay sucks with no breaks not a very good place Kroger Springfield Ohio Bechtle you work people to death NO TRAINING you get put on your own the first day you start people only answer questions if u got them

5. "terrible"

I have been working at Kroger full-time

Pros

None I can think of!

Cons

To many to list! Seriously!

Advice to Management

Thousands of employees have offered advice and solutions but nothing changes!

6. "Headache and a half (with benefits)"

I have been working at Kroger part-time

Pros

company pays insurance premium on your behalf, employee only pays $5/wk, $10/wk for full-time plan.

mandatory 5 days of paid training before being put to work

I've seen a lot of people having physical, emotional, or mental difficulties preventing them from being able to stay employed other places come here as a safe haven and keep a job for a long time.

Cons

pay scale for years has been $7/hr with 5 cent raises every 6 months. This gives the employee the impression that this is how much they are worth as a person, and morale is perpetually in the toilet.
    Most positions in the store are more labor intensive than they'd like to let on to the general public, leaving 90 pound ladies by themselves on a shift that requires lifting in excess of 60-80 pounds repetitively, in slippery freezers, the whole nine yards. If they'd put enough people on the task, it wouldn't be so dangerous or so murderous to the body.

To compound this, the president of the company finally gave in and changed the pay scale, with this as his explanation: (from division conference call) "Kroger's massive rate of turnover has cost me over 20 million dollars in Atlanta division alone, I've decided to raise the starting rate for clerks to $9/hr, So you all can be proud, once again that Kroger is the best job out there."

Advice to Management

We sit here doing the right thing, day in and day out.
    You send people that understand CAO, shrink, and food safety less than we do to come criticize us and tell us we're failures every other week.
    We try to explain this stuff right to them while they're here, but they just plug their ears and pretend it's not real, and keep coming back with the same nonsense.
    Criticizing BOH on delivery days before it's been recieved by CAO. Shooting a two-facing spot on the shelf as a hole when it's half full.
    Not knowing what fast and slow moving means.
    Not knowing how to even USE a gun
    Giving terrible advice just to have said something, then we follow this advice and they come back next time with comments of how stupid we are for doing it that way, forgetting it was their idea.

They're clueless and inconsistent.
    How can you trust reports and figures from people who don't understand what they're looking at and refuse to critically think?
    And you've been paying us 7 bucks, and these guys 50k?

7. "Training"

I worked at Kroger part-time

Pros

Corporation big on ticking off the boxes on training for all the basics.

Cons

Training falls short when on the job training is left to the floor/department supervisors.

Advice to Management

Encourage all department managers/leads to continually train.

8. "Worst company to work for."

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, and nice environment for the most part and the benefits, however, benefits are provided by the union.

Cons

There's a lot of cons to working for this company, there's a lot of envious people who would lie to get you in trouble, you could go above and beyond for them and not get acknowledge and be treated like disposable. Beware of who you become close here, there's a lot snakes who work there, who would love to see you fall. DRAMA.

Advice to Management

Be more courteous to your employees, treat them like people. NOT LIKE ANIMALS. Take some management classes and learn how to manage and support.

"Poor Hours, Poor pay"

Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Rolla, MO
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Rolla, MO

I worked at Kroger part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Clear management expectations
    There honestly were not a large amount of pros

Cons

Very low pay
    Had to join a union which took half of my already low paycheck

10. "Courtesy Clerk/Bagger Review"

Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Courtesy Clerk in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Kroger part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy Training and good/ flexible with schedule conflicts.

Cons

Did not provide workers with water after tidying carts in 110+ weather. Constantly encouraged to never stop moving on the floor i.e. to never stop bagging and to always move to another lane once one is completed. Star reward system whose points were abused by different head employees. Picking favorites in the employee's reward system.

Advice to Management

Run the store better... Moral, ethics and everything.

Showing 813 of 6,377 reviews