Kroger Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kroger CEO Rodney McMullen
Rodney McMullen

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance - More work with same/less resources (in 167 reviews)

• Barely above state minimum wage (in 256 reviews)

1. "Kroger or Smiths Pharmacy starting off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job starting at 13-14 per hour. I work 3 13hr shifts, 4 days off.

Cons

Capped at $19-20 per hour. Most veteran technicians move to the hospital where there is no salary cap.

"Treated like a resource, not a person"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger (Less than a year)

Pros

Smith's has lot of resources and opportunities for employees, and many benefits that increase with the more hours that you work for them. You will get promoted for working hard, but raises are few and far between; they are usually quick to demote those with a poor work ethic. If you happen to apply to an already healthy store, you will be fine.

Cons

It's a "work-to-win" system, as a new part-time employee will receive no benefits.
    Management is very apathetic towards employees, they want results, and don't care if your department is understaffed.
    The OSAT score that they push employees to strive for is an inherently broken system and promotes an unhealthy work environment.
    The willingness to work around your schedule for a college student is completely dependent on your department manager, you may or may not have a bad experience with that. No store consistency.
    A promotion will often lead to more responsibility with little compensation for the extra stress. Many managers are asked to transfer to other stores on a whim every few months.

Advice to Management

Smith's puts a lot of effort into training their staff for the sake of having their company associated with good customer service. But your employees are not drones to do as you say. If you want happy employees that want to "feed the human spirit" and are motivated to help customers, then treat them with respect. Stop pushing stressors further down the totem pole. If you want to know how to best run a department, trust and ask advice from people who actually work there, don't create more blind policy changes that would only have a beneficial effect for half of your stores.

3. "Pharmacy technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management is always caring and looking out for you

Cons

One of the down falls is the other side of the coin for how much they care. It does allow for coworkers who don't pull there wait because they can get away with it

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to make sure that everyone is working at the same level or make sure that those who work harder are compensated over those who do not put in as much effort

5. "Very hard work and long days"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good money, great people interactions, learn a lot of different skills. Variety in day due to store needs. You can't be bored/nothing to do.

Cons

50+ hours of work each week, no pay incentives for staying longer. Very demanding expectations with new programs rolling out weekly.

Advice to Management

Networking is great in this company but if you have moved in it's really hard to get noticed even if you are substantial better

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Promotional Pricing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Promotional Pricing Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the people I work with in Kroger. I have developed a rapport with the corporate and divisional management teams at Kroger. You get a yearly bonus for meeting the company's objectives. Also, they are really good with the work/life and balance. I love that i'm in a culture were the management really encourages you to use your vacation time.

Cons

I'm not struggling but I don't think my pay reflects my work experience. I don't like the yearly evaluation process, it seems like I try and work on the thing that my supervisor told me that could use improve, and it seems like they don't evaluate according to our yearly performance. Its like a bell curve of how many people get a higher raise, I wished it was more performance based.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of opportunities for advancement if interested in the store side of the business

Cons

Most corporate jobs are in Cincinnati

8. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Kroger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good job, nice environment

Cons

There were no cons at all, Ioved the job

9. "Great all-around company to work for."

Current Employee - Regional Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Regional Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inclusive culture
    Good Pay
    Great Benefits
    Excellent advancement opportunities
    Various job functions, something for everyone.

Cons

Pay could always be better

Advice to Management

More guide lines for management to follow during performance reviews, like a check off list. A lot of people feel like the review are just an opinion of management ad not based on actual productivity and accomplishments.

10. "Regional project manager construction"

Current Employee - Regional Project Manager Construction in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Regional Project Manager Construction in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kroger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of work, good structure, organized, good division of work between departments, very specific type of work and you don't wear many different "hats". Good pay, good bonus, great insurance. Somewhat flexible hours for my department. Low turnover.

Cons

Not current with workplace technology. It feels like you work in an office from 1994. No company vehicle or stipend is given. They do pay mileage though.

Advice to Management

Update the dank office environment.

11. "Good short-term job, not somewhere to work your whole life"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Kroger full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job isn't as rigid as most call center jobs, although there are still clear-cut rules. There are no scripts, which most people like.

Cons

The customers are really mean, which is pretty true of most customer service jobs though. Certain shifts are really short staffed (meaning you'll be taking more calls than you can handle.) Scheduling isn't very flexible.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring certain employees just because they've worked there 15 years. Most of them are complacent and worse than the week-old ones.

Showing 15 of 5,778 reviews