Kroll Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

4.1
Emanuele “Manny” A. Conti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Diversity career progression mentoring work life balance compensation (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and great learning opportunity (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no encouragement or praise for a job well done, but constant highlighting of every mistake (in 6 reviews)

• Long hours for less-than-stellar pay (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great internship at the DC office"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great internship. Pay in the DC area is $17/hr, which is great for a SAIS or Georgetown student or grad (which is what most of us are). They promote from within, although I've heard really bad things on glassdoor about the office in Reston which is where analysts are funneled to so I'm not sure if that's really a pro. Anyway, the managers are fantastic and I get to work with some really bright interns. I've really learned a lot and finally had the chance to use my language skills in a professional setting. You also get access to a 401(k) with matching.

Cons

If there's one complaint I've heard about people who make the jump from intern to full-time, it's that the lack of OT pay and low salary combined with long hours make the company very unattractive. Poaching seems to be a real concern at Kroll, and I don't understand why they don't just rectify it by providing better compensation to top analysts.

Advice to Management

Management seems overworked and sometimes it's hard to address certain concerns and workload. But they are great and very approachable.

"DC Internship - great management and learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

You will be given real client-facing work and managed like a trusted employee. You can work across different languages and jurisdictions. Kroll is a brand name company recognized in the industry. There are great colleagues in the DC office - mostly young, grad students with international backgrounds. Management is very understanding/supportive of school schedule. It paid well for an internship in DC - $17/hour.

Cons

Upward mobility is limited and pay is low for entry-level full time jobs following the internship. The company also divides workflow between back office research and front office client-facing work so there is not a good level of exposure to clients for young employees.

Advice to Management

It seemed to me that the company has a wider problem of retaining talent at the entry-level stage. Otherwise, just continue being awesome in the DC office!

"Kroll"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll full-time

Pros

The workplace is very diverse, which means there are many interesting people to interact with and learn from.
    Supervisors are always open to questions so you can learn from them.

Cons

Human resources does not inform properly
    The management of the company has little concern or respect for employees and trineat them in questionable manners.

Advice to Management

Treat employers how they deserve.
    Communicate more clearly about any issues there may be.
    That would help make the workplace a lot less disgruntled.

4. "Great internship program, little else to offer"

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

In a land of unpaid internships, Kroll offers one of the best internship programs in DC. Positions are well paid, accommodate your academic schedule and provide substantive experience that will position you well to be hired by any of the big players in due diligence and compliance. The intern center is conveniently located in DC and well run by a no-nonsense, but very accessible manager that sincerely wants all of her employees to do well (whether with Kroll or beyond). I highly recommend that current students or recent grads consider working here. For full-time employees I understand that the benefits are very good.

Cons

Beyond the internship program, the corporate culture is abysmal. Transitioning from an internship to a full-time position at Kroll is a tedious process that lacks transparency. Positions are grossly underpaid considering the level of education expected of entry-level staff and professional advancement is slow. Unlike the interns, who are based in downtown DC, full-time staff works from a Reston office park, so prepare yourself for a commute. The hours can be long and staff often take work home...which would be more palatable if the starting salary for the DC-metropolitan area was not $52k for Masters-holders.

Advice to Management

Meet the market. You are training a strong core of employees through the internship program who leave at the first opportunity to work for PwC, JP Morgan, FTI and your other competitors. Invest in your employees to keep them around.

"The DC Office is Really Great!"

I worked at Kroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Mari and Co are amazing! Being an intern is a great way to gain experience in an interesting and fast-paced firm

Cons

Sometimes the work is a bit repetitive

6. "Well-organized, structured intern program"

Former Intern - Compliance Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Compliance Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The supervisors in the DC office designed a very well structured intern program with a fairly comprehensive training manual and very useful orientation/training program. They gave very useful feedback and were very approachable. You don't feel like an intern because 1) you're getting paid, and 2) the work is very independent. Your work is reviewed by supervisors, but for the most part you are responsible for the research and writing of the reports. They do hire a lot of interns too. I loved my coworkers and the supervisors. Very flexible with accommodating time off, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed with midterms and finals (if you're still in grad school).

Cons

The work is highly repetitive. Both of my supervisors (who designed the intern program) are no longer there. One left the company and the other moved to the Reston office, as I understand. Not sure what the work environment is like now.

Also, everyone seems to overwork themselves. Coming in at 8am and staying until late. People eat and work through their lunch breaks. Can be stressful.

"Average internship experience"

Former Intern - Research Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Research Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Kroll as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Interned at the DC office in 2012. Enjoyed my experience there, under great management. Worked efficiently, gained some great professional research skills, and enjoyed the work. On top of that, the internship paid, which was a nice bonus being in DC. Overall, a great experience with great people.

Cons

Always was weird tension between DC and Reston offices. DC seemed to be more level-headed and doing a better job.

8. "Good first step into database management and third-party research"

I worked at Kroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Washington, D.C. office is full of energetic, intelligent recent graduates and college students serving summer internships. The upper management (directors and associates) genuinely care about their workers both in the office and out, even if you happen to be a temporary employee. Also a good first step into a research position that teaches entry-level research skills.

Cons

The work tends to be the same every day. Not much opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Doing quite well.

"Great Internship Experience in DC"

I worked at Kroll as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

After interning here last summer, I returned for a short period this year because I liked working at Kroll's DC office so much and felt I could learn even more. The DC Internship program is really top-notch, especially in comparison to nearby, competitive internships (I have worked and interned in DC for the past four years). This internship experience directly led to my receipt of several competitive job offers.

Every intern is thoroughly trained in producing high quality products to customers. Interns learn how to utilize popular databases and conduct business-driven research. You'll write a lot, and your business/report writing skills will greatly improve.

Management is very responsible, flexible, and organized. All the management staff are extremely considerate of interns' time and keep stress levels low. I learned a ton from both my supervisors, who were incredibly kind, respectful, and fun.

You'll work with great, international, intelligent colleagues who have language skills built from experiences all over the world. The office plans group lunches and other activities to promote a sense of community.

Logistics are easy and cheap with the new DC office location, right off the red line in DC. You're basically on top of a metro station, so you can't get better than that.

Cons

This is not an internship for those who don't like to work at a steady pace all day.--you get a lot of responsibility at once, so you need to be able to focus and work. As well, it is mostly computer-driven work, so those who don't like working in front of a computer or don't have great computer research skills may want to look somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Link up with the Reston office once in awhile to promote more company-wide activities.

10. "Great internship"

Current Employee - Research Analyst Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Analyst Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Kroll part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- diverse set of cases that makes every day interesting
    - opportunities to improve research skills and writing abilities
    - great management that is always willing to help
    - internship is paid, which is very rare in D.C.
    - various opportunities to use language skills

Cons

- not allowed to listen to music while working