Kuali Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 15, 2018

5.0
Joel Dehlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Best Company I have Worked at"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Kuali full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company values are amazing and are reinforced by the CEO and by HR. My favorite is “Assume the Best”. As humans we have a tendency to assume the worst about people rather than the best, but most people most of the time want to do great things and have good intentions. I have had experiences at other companies where the culture was unintentially one of passing the buck, blaming others when things don’t go perfectly, and gossipping about people and it culivated a group who was afraid to take risks and improve as well as a group who was focused on their own personnal failure or success rather than everyone succeeding together. Being in a company with a culture that intentionally cultivates an attitude of assuming the best about everyone is so refreshing. Another of my favorites that goes along with that is “Act with Accountability”. At a company where everyone is working together toward succeeding together I don’t want to be anywhere else.

Cons

Things at the company can change somewhat frequently. That can be a bit challenging at times, but for me that is generally a plus. The changes are thoughtful, not random. Not every change works out, but the comapny will change direction again if something isn’t working. I have been at so many companies who are very resistant change, no matter how positive or how beneficial it may be, so when compared to that this is great for me. It may not be for everyone though, so whether or not it is going to be for you is something to consider if you think you may want to work here.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the company culture and values as the company grows.

"Great company culture and leadership."

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is really unique compared to other tech companies I've heard about. The CEO and all of the executive team are really smart with loads of experience. You can tell that they are interested in building a lasting company by the way they talk to employees and use the company's money. Of course the benefits, lunches, flexible work environment, money for your own continued education, and healthy snacks are all great perks.

The interview and hiring process was great. I was able to meet just about everyone that I would be working with. Any time I emailed HR or needed to get in touch with them they were very responsive and super nice. Now that I've been working here a little while now I've been able to see that HR was a true reflection of the rest of the company. I feel very fortunate to work here.

Cons

I haven't come across anything that I would consider a con right now.

Advice to Management

I'll just echo what I know others have undoubtedly said. Keep the culture strong and continue to grow the company at a healthy, sustainable rate.

"Amazing company!"

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People - there are no jerks here. Everyone is really helpful and wants Kuali to succeed. The company value "assume the best" is actually practiced and its so refreshing.

Benefits and culture - amazing! Lunches and breakfast are great. The actual medical/dental/401K benefits are awesome! But what's really great is the focus on work/life balance. So many companies talk the talk - but Kuali actually walks the walk.

Cons

Kuali has a lot of the typical growing pains that comes from having awesome products and people and growing quickly as a result. Some teams and departments are much newer than others. That is challenging for those on the new teams as well as other, more established teams that have to rely on them while they get up to speed.

Advice to Management

Continue being open with the company and seeking input from employees.

"Great Company with Great Values"

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part for me about working at Kuali is the emphasis on every employee's happiness and importance. There is no hierarchy; the focus and discussion is always about what we individually bring to the table and that is exceptionally refreshing. There is a great product that makes a difference in the higher ed space it serves and our relationship with the customer actually does matter and I love being a part of that process. The CEO knows my name as well as every person on the team and cares about all of us. Its a great work environment with a ton of flexibility as well as excellent benefits.

Cons

There is no soda which is an almost laughable con but it's the only real one I have. They provide tons of healthy snacks but a few of us aren't as healthy as we should be :)

Advice to Management

Keep caring and managing your teams with an eye on performance vs processes and this company will continue to be one of the best places in the valley to work.

"Great Place full of Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people that work here truly follow the company values and practice what they preach
    - People assume that you are trying to do your best with your work
    - Benefits are AWESOME (i.e. work from home, most are paid by the company, catered lunch on Mon and Wed, etc.)
    - Company outings every so often
    - Relaxed work environment (but the work itself can be intense with the startup feel)
    - the leadership teams "have your back"
    - the overall "vibe" of the office is that everyone wants to work hard and make Kuali succeed
    - Opportunity to grow your skillset is great if you are willing to learn new things and "figure it out"

Cons

- With this company being in a startup position, there aren't a lot of processes in place. You have to be the one to take the initiative to get the ball rolling, which can be taxing on you to try to get the right people to follow.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work in supporting employees in all functions. Follow the company values to keep people around. It's a great feeling to know that the leadership has everyone's back and wants people to succeed.3

"Great company with stellar benefits."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting approach to solve a huge problem in greater education which leaves a lot of room to grow in the market. They've managed to assemble an amazing team of people. Also, the benefits offered are the best I've seen.

Cons

There seems to be a few sacred cows that I have a hard time understanding. There's often good reasons behind the ones I've brought up. But sometimes the reasoning isn't much more than "that's just how it's always been".

Advice to Management

Constantly evaluate what ideas might be considered sacred or untouchable, and make sure we're doing them for the right reasons.

"New ideas in the air! Work!"

I have been working at Kuali full-time

Pros

- Empowered to make informed decisions, to always be learning
    - Encouraged to explore ways to improve yourself personally and professionally
    - Excited constantly by the dedication to working smart not harder
    - Enthralled by the level of talent in coworkers and executive team
    - Evidence supported problem solving and process changing - show me the data!
    - Evolving to be better than yesterday, always

Cons

- Remote workers miss out on weekly team lunches and really rely on video chats to "see" what's going on (not really a con, just a reality of the situation.)
    - On-boarding is more self discovery than hand holding (also not really a con, but something to know about yourself: if you can't determine what you don't know and seek that info out, you'll feel a bit lost.)

"Great team & strong focus on employee satisfaction"

I have been working at Kuali full-time

Pros

- Great colleagues
    - Interesting challenges with lots of opportunity to make a positive impact
    - Work / life balance is strongly emphasized
    - Serious efforts to make remote workers feel like they are a part of the company

Cons

- Not perfect and still learning how to make things work. Sometimes it feels like we aren't consistent about following company values
    - The way the company is structured and projects are funded, it can be a challenge to reconcile competing priorities

Advice to Management

Make sure that the company values are being adhered to at all levels. Don't compromise when it comes to hiring.

"Best place!"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Kuali full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Out of all the companies I've worked for, Kuali definitely has the best culture. Everyone is always willing to help and make you feel welcome, the office is fun, and benefits are killer!
    Product is great and really does help customers make their work easier and better.
    Management really cares about the employees and it's not difficult to see.

Cons

None yet. So far it has been great!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's clearly working!

"Sr. User Experience Designer"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Kuali full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with design as high priority. The Design Director is on the executive team, so that should show you how important Design is to kuali. You have a lot of autonomy in a real sense of co-owning the product with your PM

Cons

Seriously No Cons here at Kuali.