Kuali Reviews

Updated May 5, 2022

Found 33 of over 35 reviews

4.6
Kuali CEO Joel Dehlin (no image)
Joel Dehlin

57 Comments

Tech

207.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Kuali~1156448
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I had heard about their amazing culture, employees, and product and it totally lives up to the hype.(in 6 reviews)
  • "The actual medical/dental/401K benefits are awesome!(in 6 reviews)
  • "Everyone is always willing to help and make you feel welcome, the office is fun, and benefits are killer!(in 4 reviews)
  • "Fun people.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company that really cares, amazing work life balance

May 5, 2022 - Senior Data Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A 4-day work week. Even ignoring a 4-day work week, however, I found the work-life balance the best I've experienced (I have 10 years of experience across both big corporations and start ups). - Fully remote. - They literally have a tenant that says "be a great place to work". They prioritize employee happiness and take substantive actions to achieve it. - My manager (Lesley) is not just highly competent, but she was very human to me and the rest of the team. - Lots of opportunities for a variety of technical growth. You aren't locked into just the typical responsibilities of your role. - Knowledgable seniors that care about their product. - Very green field for Data Engineering. - Work is scoped, groomed, and prioritized very tightly. - Incredible transparency from executive leadership. - Fun people.

Cons

- Until a better solution is implemented, one has to continue to maintain a legacy solution based on a pretty cumbersome stack (for Data Engineering). - I have stand up at 8AM (due to timezone differences), which is a bit painful for me. - My salary is reasonable, but can't match what giants like Google or Amazon pay (I'm a former Amazonian).

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Incredible Work Life Balance, Amazingly Human Leadership

May 3, 2022 - Senior Data Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The company genuinely cares about you. In fact, they foster a culture of caring about their employees and ensure they have a good life both in and outside of work. Compared to many other companies who pay that concept lip service, they take hard actions to achieve it, such as piloting a 4-day work week. As of this review, they've been operating under a 4-day work week for months, without any negative impact to their business. - In terms of data engineering, a very green field. - The most transparent company I've worked for throughout my 10 years of experience in the tech industry. The CEO, CTO, and COO are people who are extra-ordinary in how they interact with and treat their employees, and you can tangibly see that exemplary humanism flowing down into middle management. - The interview relies more on your overall experience (and future potential) as an industry professional, as opposed to your ability to jump through theory and/or code gymnastics. - A clear desire to improve their systems and innovate, but not burn you out doing so. They have enough senior, in-house tech expertise that recognizes their architectural weaknesses and feature opportunities, and they make active efforts to execute on those opportunities, but they have do so at a sustainable pace. - Whenever I did want to work really hard for a big opportunity, I was given the autonomy to do so. As an individual contributor, I was never denied a voice. I could execute big initiatives when I felt passionate enough about them. - A very stable domain. I don't see the company ever losing enough customers to endanger its core business. - Lots of learning opportunities, and middle management actively puts tasks in your queue that help you learn something new when you tell them you want to learn it. - Just really nice, smart, kind, down-to-earth people.

Cons

- It's not Amazon, Meta, Google, or other tech giants in terms of scale. Having worked for Amazon (primarily AWS) for 5 years, I can say, at Kuali, you won't be exposed to staggeringly huge operations or single projects that can yield millions of dollars. - Total compensation cannot match the typical total compensation from tech giants. - I don't perceive a lot of career growth in a short period of time for individual contributors.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A company that stays true to its values and cares about people.

Jan 23, 2022 - Associate Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Every single person who works at Kuali is collaborative, accountable, motivated, and humble. Kuali is led by example, and everyone from the C-Suite down lives by its core values. Kuali operates with integrity.

Cons

As a remote company, teams occasionally have to struggle with timezones for meetings. Some internal resources could be more organized.

4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great Culture

Dec 21, 2021 - Information Security Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kuali has a great culture. There are a lot of really good people working there. Many people willing to help you learn and grow.

Cons

It's a smaller company so many people wear many hats and tend to get burned out.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that lives by its values

Mar 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kuali is one of the few companies that truly lives by its values. The CEO and executive team are ALWAYS transparent - no matter how difficult the news may seem. The people are the absolute best part. I'd like to retire with these folks - if it were possible to keep everyone around and retire around the same time.

Cons

I wish I could see everyone F2F more often! Not just over Zoom. Pre-Covid we had retreats where we saw each other in person. I'm too excited to have that come back soon!

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

No Direction

Oct 18, 2021 - Sales Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work along side with.

Cons

Bad communication by upper management

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Intense But Supportive Work Environment

Oct 16, 2020 - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team, Benefits, Employee Agency, and amazing support from management.

Cons

Frequent Overtime and honestly that's the only real downside.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Kuali Inc.

Oct 16, 2020 - Senior Director in Olympia, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A great company to work for. Solid values and culture.

Cons

None that I can think of- and I've worked for a few companies of different sizes.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Employee and customer happiness are equally important

Jun 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kuali is trying to create a long-term, successful private company. The company is not about building for a quick IPO or sale. Employee and customer happiness are equally important and it shows daily in the decisions the company leaders make. Co-workers are smart, driven, opinionated, yet still nice, helpful and kind. Benefits are solid. Kuali is focused on building great products and long-term customer success. Sales and profits are important, but they are not the primary drivers in the company. There is consistent effort to build the right thing the right way the first time rather than rushing low-quality, high tech-debt features to market. Engineering teams are build comprehensive quality in from the start. The company is trying to establish a consistent pace that is long-term sustainable. There are no death marches. The CEO consistently discourages employees from working on evening and weekends. An intense, focused 40 hour work week is the expected norm.

Cons

A significant portion of employees work full-time remote. Like most companies in this scenario, Kuali has a challenge getting communication and collaboration to work well across the company. If you're looking for a company that has mature processes for every little thing, that's not Kuali. At Kuali you can help shape policies and processes as the company grows and matures.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not what it seems

Sep 24, 2019 - Sales in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great food, nice people some good events.

Cons

Not a super great product, poor leadership. The reviews about this company are not accurate and misleading. Ask about why all the sales team has recently quit.

9 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 Reviews

Kuali Reviews FAQs

Kuali has an overall rating of 4.6 out of 5, based on over 35 reviews left anonymously by employees. 93% of employees would recommend working at Kuali to a friend and 93% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Kuali employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Kuali. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

93% of Kuali employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Kuali 4.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Kuali to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be compensation .

Popular Careers with Kuali Job Seekers