Kukui Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Todd Westerlund

"Marketing Associate"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kukui Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am currently part-time and hope to become full-time. Everyone is nurturing and that makes you want to do your best for them, as well as for yourself and for your clients. Supportive, family-like culture. Kukui is driving phenomenal growth and has an extremely exciting future. Management cares.

Cons

None that I've encountered. Their growth rate of 3,493 percent over the last three years will be challenging for everyone to keep up with. It will require flexibility and patience to manage the inevitable growing pains.

Advice to Management

I believe Kukui's genius is in hiring the highest quality people and relentlessly innovating its unique products for its clients . Keep it up!

"Deception - Run from this company"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kukui Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I found very little positive about this company. Pay was below average, benefits below standard, and the culture was all about the money.

Cons

Let me start by saying that I was completely sold on the opportunity to join this company. They explained how their company has a "Google" like culture with growth opportunities. I would receive marketing training and there would be accelerated advancement.

Anyone reading this review might discard it thinking how could it be that bad? Why would you have stayed at a company for any period if things were so misleading? Truly, I wonder this myself. The truth is Kukui and its leaders are so convincing that they are something they are not, the truth is not obvious. It was one small problem surfacing at a time. I found myself dismissing small problems thinking it was the exception not the rule. And other larger problems that I would bring to leadership's attention I would be told that the issues would be addressed, and not to worry, but instead they would do nothing to fix the problem and I would be told to lie to a customer temporarily and they would fix the problem immediately.

The company reports and advertises it has over a hundred employees in many locations nationwide, while in fact it averaged 20-25 people in one office. Even if you count to developers over seas they use to to all their development they would still be less than 30. It's what Kukui is really good at, twisting reality.

Every salesperson Kukui had departed the company this year. The rats jumping the sinking ship. I heard the salespeople selling the Kukui product, I just didn't know how much they were over promising on every deal, just to close the deal. After the customer would go live, it was our job to try and keep the customer happy, even when the products weren't working.

I may not be the smartest internet specialist in the world, but I do understand how SEO and PPC works very well. I was amazed how hard they tried to convince me that using duplicate text pages and templates was the best way to get traffic. But the more I argued, the more I was treated like an outcast and not part of the team for not getting on board with company directives and direction.

On the surface, you would think Kukui is an aggressive startup looking to build a company, my personal experience is Kukui is all about the money, say anything to close the deal, do anything to get paid.

Advice to Management

I really don't know what can be done to turn things around, the core of Kukui is built on deception. The product doesn't work as advertised, the customers are mislead, the employees are intimidated to keep quiet.

Perfect example are all the "perfect" reviews on glassdoor, I am fairly sure they were written by Kukui's PR company.

Kukui Corporation Response

Aug 19, 2016 – CEO

We care about the wellbeing of everyone connected to Kukui and we are constantly making improvements in every area, including our product, pay and benefits. We're glad that the vast majority of our ... More

"Clients are the best to work with!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA

Pros

It has been exciting being apart of a growing start-up. Location is good, gym, food in walking distance, fun culture with daily tv sitcoms playing and a holiday nerf battle.
    Product works and really helps customers.

Cons

Start up.
    Growing pains.
    Very young middle management.
    Sometimes traffic is really bad, silicon valley normal.
    Starbucks is a short drive.

Advice to Management

Bring back the happiness advantage.

"They pays bottom basement rates and they tell their employees to give good reviews here to make them look good."

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're sociable, you can get in good with the managers, and won't get fired, even if you're terrible at your job. If you're one of the people who care about the company, and rather improve things than party, you're likely to get fired. Its all about who you know here and if you're willing to go drinking with the boss.

Cons

They pay the very minimum of Silicon Valley rates, they hire right out of college, and foster a party like atmosphere. If you're one of the sales team, you're treated pretty good, but the content team who does all the real work gets treated pretty poorly, as far as salary goes. There is no WFH options really, and having to commute in for traffic for $20 bucks an hour is pretty awful for a position that would be paid double at another company. There is no real benefits or perks that make up for it. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here if you actually want a real silicon valley wage or environment. You won't learn anything really that is transferable to another company or have any support to continue growing in your career unless you are going into sales.

Kukui Corporation Response

Oct 3, 2014 – CEO

- This appears to be a fake review. - We do not have a "content team", and for compensation, we do not pay hourly. We provide a salary, with benefits and stock options. At Kukui, we have a ... More

"A Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Marketing Success Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Success Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kukui cares about its employees happiness. This is a company who truly invests on their employees growth and overall happiness. Great work culture, great team, excellent product. This is a high energy workplace that manages to balance fun and high productivity. The execs are accessible and you have a voice in this company. I love it here!

Cons

We're a growing company and sometimes, change happens slowly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This is what makes us great!

"Not just a marketing company...a happiness company!"

Current Employee - Client Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Client Marketing Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kukui Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kukui has a huge amount of support and encouragement from the executives and leadership team. Our values really hold true in everything that we do here. It's a great place to jump start your career and really feel at home. The team is always willing to help each other and we all want each other and everyone that we work with to be successful.

Cons

We are a growing company so there are some growing pains along the way with implementing new ideas and new programs into our processes. But we are all learning together and we get better every day!
    Pay isn't great to start off but there is lots of room for growth as we are growing very quickly!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Never lose sight of the personal attention employees get as we continue to grow. Focusing on employee happiness is what sets us apart!

"Silicon Valley Anomaly"

Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Development in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kukui operates from a much different model, than the usual corporate paradigm.That is to say they utilize the strengths and talents of their team and not exploit their weaknesses and then try after great expense and man power hours attempt to get them to improve.The culture is vibrant and fun, with a "true" team mentality, unified and arms locked.

Cons

The development of what we bring to market is so new and cutting edge; it will require each person to be more deeply involved than just your typical ,, I just show up to work "job description"

Advice to Management

Keep sticking to the model that has created such a high level of success

"You know you love your job when you look forward to work every morning."

I have been working at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work in an environment where each employee not only cares deeply about the success of our clients, but also for the success and happiness of one another.

Everyone at Kukui really believes in the power of the product. The platform is VERY impressive and blew me away the first time I looked at it. It is easy to work for a company that cares about each other and cares about the product.

We have fun, we love what we do, and although the start-up feel in the middle of Silicon Valley is always going to be a "work in progress," working here is the best. We get fed, we have great amenities (a treadmill desk to keep our hearts pumping and a massage chair for those long days...who doesn't want that?!) and we know when to separate business and friendship.

Cons

We're not at the point where we can spend our money on everything we want. We budget and we budget well on our necessary items. Sometimes, I can't wait until we can get to a point where we can say "we need this" and get it in the office and working properly.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay positive and keeping us motivated. The management is always very helpful and we appreciate all of the positive feedback and constructive criticism that keeps our employees afloat and happy.

"Awesome Tech start up"

Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I worked at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Kukui you are working with some of the brightest minds in technology.

Cons

On the downside, they don't employ telecommuters anymore, which is what I was.

Advice to Management

Go back to allowing telecommuters!

"Kukui is a fast growing start-up with a hip culture, smart coworkers, & a fabulous work space overlooking Santana Row."

I have been working at Kukui Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The L.E.A.D. values of Love, Enthusiasm, Amazingness, & Discipline are a distinct part of the culture. These values are used when dealing with customers and in interpersonal relationships making the company a pleasant & drama-free work place.

We love what we do, & we work hard at it. Work/Life Balance is encouraged and flexibility is provided allowing us to leave the office for a few hours when personal issues come up.

Leadership does not micro-manage. Instead, leaders coach new people and provide feedback & support. Since the company is growing quickly, there are many opportunities to grow with the company and move into positions of leadership.

Cons

Since I love what I do and I enjoy being at work, it is easy to let the work/life balance lean more toward work. However, it is my decision to stay late & come in early, so I can't complain. Leadership stresses the importance of balance & encourages people to care for family, friends, & to learn & stay fit.

Advice to Management

Consider paying for a percentage of employee tuition if an employee wants to pursue a higher degree in their field of expertise.