Kumon Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2020

3.9
Kumon President Hidenori Ikegami (no image)
Hidenori Ikegami
Pros
Cons
  • "Minimum wage as this is more of a student job(in 127 reviews)

• "Absolutely no room for growth or increasing hours(in 46 reviews)

1. "Good job for a few hours a week"

Former Employee - Learning Assistant

I worked at Kumon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy work life balance because it was only 2/3 days a week. The shifts fly by bc you have back to back students.

Cons

Was not able to get additional hours

Continue reading
  2. "Great place"

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Kumon part-time

Pros

Very predictable and stable place to work; very friendly boss

Cons

It takes patience working with kids but there are no cons!

3. "Good flexibility"

Former Employee - Tutor in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Kumon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Was always flexible with my school schedule

Cons

Sometimes can get really busy

4. "I've worked here for a couple years"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant

I worked at Kumon part-time

Pros

They were willing to be flexible with scheduling. They train you well and are willing to help you along the way.

Cons

There isn't much room for growth and the work is tedious. Sometimes gets really busy and overwhelming when many students need your help.

5. "KUMON"

Former Employee - Lead Instructor

I worked at Kumon full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours for high school students

Cons

For me it was the distance, but it was not bad

6. "Great Part-Time Opportunity"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Somerset, NJ

I worked at Kumon part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was definitely a fun job working with the kids and teaching. Nothing is better than seeing the growth amongst your students after working with them for so long. Like seeing an early learner go from not knowing their ABCs to reading and write full-blown paragraphs. And words can't describe the joy you feel hearing that one of your students who was failing in school got Straight-As because of the way you and your co-workers have been able to help them. It's a fun work environment as well because most of the other workers are a similar age (if you're in high school or college). Also, the tasks you're told to do aren't too challenging and most centers have flexible hours, so it's the ideal job if you also have to juggle other responsibilities with it like school and extra-curricular activities. Working at Kumon also teaches you important life lessons like proper work ethic (showing up on time, working efficiently, etc.), communication skills (with your coworkers and the students), patience, and all the basic info about being part of the workforce. It also beats working somewhere lame like a fast food place or whatever.

Cons

Depending on the center, the pay might not be too low, particularly at smaller centers. However, at some of the big centers, the pay is great. Also, there aren't that many hours to work throughout the week. This is great if you're looking for something a bit lax, but at the end of the day, you won't get paid as much compared to a full-time job or some other part-time jobs that require you to work longer. There's also not much room for growth as an assistant. You'll start out as a grader and then your responsibilities will increase to either working with the early learners, entering grades into the system, or planning the students' work for the day. At a certain point, this will all feel pretty mundane, at which point I'd recommend you go out and try something new.

Continue reading
  7. "Unfair"

2.0
    Current Employee - Primary Instructor

I have been working at Kumon part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

easy work, simple tasks, location

Cons

only work 8 hours a week, repetitive schedule, lack of communication and unfair compensation

8. "Kumon tutoring"

Former Employee - Tutor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Kumon part-time

Pros

great environment supportive coworkers around you

Cons

there was a lack of training

9. "Fine"

Former Employee - Tutor in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Kumon part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good for students (high school or college) who have to balance other things. We worked a maximum of three days a week.

Cons

Focused too much on how much time the kids spent on their packets instead of them actually learning.

10. "Honest but Difficult Work"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Geneva, IL

I worked at Kumon part-time for more than a year

Pros

The program is very effective for many children and it was wonderful to see their progress over time.

Cons

If your center is understaffed , it will be very difficult to keep up with all of the packets and correction work from the children.

Found 2251 reviews