Kurtosys Reviews

Updated May 30, 2020

4.0
Kurtosys CEO Mash Patel (no image)
Mash Patel
Pros
Cons
  • "There are no cons in my point f view(in 4 reviews)

• "Working for a global company across multiple time-zones with many differing cultures creates some communication challenges(in 4 reviews)

"Still Happy I Joined!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Kurtosys full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started here over a year ago as a contractor and decided to become a part of the organization as an employee, and haven't once thought twice about it. The organization is very open and honest, continually providing training, either through 1X1 with their manager, online platforms, leadership training monthly, all ways to assist the employees to grow within their roles. Management gives the the employee the tools and leadership to do their job correctly, no micro-management here. It is amazing with employees spread out over 3 continents, the communication is so well within teams and throughout the company. The benefits we receive for PTO and Medical, Vision, Dental etc are very competitive within the US and abroad.

Cons

It is a growing company with lots to get accomplished, so at times hours are long, but over all still a great work/life balance is offered.

August 30, 2019Associate Director of People Operations

Thank you so much for your review and for being a part of the Kurtosys growth journey. It is great to hear that you are finding the communication across continents and teams is working well, and that management continues to provide tools and training to help people do well in their roles. We are still happy you joined too!

"Great place to work for self-starters"

5.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reno, NV

I worked at Kurtosys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I spent the last 4 years of my career at Kurtosys. It's been a great experience. The culture is friendly and professional and the work/life balance is good. I received paternity leave (twice) during my time working here which is unheard of for a US company. Not a lot of micro-managing here, which is a big plus in my book. I always felt free to conduct my work in the way I thought was best (within reason of course.)

Cons

Maybe not the best place to work if you need someone to babysit you. Work schedule got crazy maybe once every other year. But, that's not unheard of for startups and in general the work life balance is really very good.

"Happy Here"

Current Employee - SDR

I have been working at Kurtosys full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, not micro managed, great product

Cons

No cons as of yet

February 4, 2019Associate Director of People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to review Kurtosys - we are very pleased to hear that you are happy here, that you love the product and your manager is supportive and helpful. Thank you for being a part of the Kurtosys Team!

"Great work culture and managers who are devoted to their employees"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Kurtosys full-time for less than a year

Pros

At Kurtosys, I've had one of the best managers of my entire career in tech. She gives me hands on personal mentoring and teachings around the process. I really feel like my manager has my back and completely trusts me, my work and my effort.

Cons

The product and process is quite complicated. Kurtosys is not a typical SaaS company since so much of the work we do is customizable. Production is tends to be slow and internal follow-up on tasks can be challenging.

January 29, 2018COO & CFO

Thank you for your feedback. We have some really wonderful and strong leaders based in our RDU office, and Meagan Palmer has done a wonderful job recruiting the team down there. I am glad to see that your experience has been positive. Our team there has created a positive working environment and really has helped shape our company. Based on your feedback, we need to do a better job of communicating what this company is. We are an enterprise company that provides software solutions that are configurable. This is much different than traditional SaaS and is more reflective of product approaches at Netsuite, Veeva and Workdays of the world. Please feel free to reach out to me directly about where you might not think that the team is not being held accountable. That is particularly concerning. I hope you feel comfortable doing that. Scott

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Kurtosys full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Growing company; keeps moving forward -Fun, flexible work environment! -Great company culture and benefits/PTO -Supportive environment and global team

Cons

-Fast-paced onboarding may not be for everyone. No formal training program in place, can make starting out difficult. -Some processes are being refined for increased efficiency - could take some time but definitely headed in the right direction -No 401k matching

January 11, 2018COO & CFO

Thanks so much for your review. I am glad that you have enjoyed your experience so far, and RDU is one of the offices we are significantly investing in and excited about the prospects. We revamped our onboarding process in 2017, and we are continuing to refine it. We need to improve upon this so that we can empower our employees to feel like they are starting here with the wind at their backs rather than the challenges you identify when you started. I will work with Nikki Leske, our Snr People Operations Manager to improve these processes across our platform. Thank you again for your feedback. Scott

"Great office, horrible upper management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Production Support Analyst in Reno, NV

I worked at Kurtosys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility and working from home

Cons

Overworked Underpaid Unappreciated

November 4, 2017COO & CFO

Thank you for your feedback. I am so happy to see that your experience at Kurtosys provided you the opportunity to earn an increase of 66%, and I am sure you rightfully deserved it. Earlier in my career, I was afforded the same opportunity at KPMG, and I initially had the same perception as you, however, I am eternally grateful for the opportunity that KPMG gave me. I hope you look back upon your career one day and gain a similar view. That experience opened up so many doors, and I hope Kurtosys has done that for you. It certainly sounds like it. I am sorry that you felt that you were overworked. Work comes in ebbs and flows in our organization. We have a number of people that work harder than I would like, but we have added 100+ FTEs this year to help even out work load. We try to push all of our employees to balance work and life. Sounds like you may have worked here prior to the significant hiring ramp this year. Unfortunately, we recently decided to shutter our Reno office, and I feel terrible for the people impacted, but this has afforded us the opportunity to strategically position our organization into 4 locations (NY, London, Raleigh and Capetown). There are a lot of benefits of having these four locations, but most importantly, it allows us to operate seamlessly from an international work flow perspective which unfortunately Reno never allowed. The only point where I can respectfully disagree with you is about the path to failure. You fail strategically before you fail financially. We have made a number of incredibly difficult decisions over the last three years, and we have dramatically transformed the company. We have a world class product / platform and team, we have more than sufficient capital (we won't need to raise money again), we will be generating cash flow in 1H '18 and profitable in 2018. Not many technology companies every achieve these milestones. We may fail one day, but we have a great deal of momentum for the time being, and I am so proud of what the team has accomplished. I would never take that away from them. As I wish our team good luck, I wish you too. I hope you continue to feel valued and rightfully paid. I am sure Kurtosys helped provide you opportunity to get to where you are at now. I wish you all the best. Scott Gellman COO & CFO

"A Proof of Concept Company"

I worked at Kurtosys full-time

Pros

A great place to build your resume. If you are a motivated young person who wants to kill themselves to get some real experience under their belt for the next stage in their career, Kurtosys is a great place to do that. You will get to work with some big-name clients and may have the opportunity to work on some new technology. Make sure you pay attention to which team you are being recruited into, if you own one of the many dead products there will be no chance of escape. Also, assume any stock options are worthless you probably won’t be around long enough to get vested.

Cons

In the several years that I was at Kurtosys I worked with at least 5 different products implemented in technologies ranging from classic Java on a glass fish to NodeJS, I saw the UDM become the future of the company and then a ghost from the past. While it is fantastic to work for a company that will pivot its entire technology stack twice per year; it is a problem because they manage to sell one or two clients on every “product” as though getting someone to buy something somehow validates that it is done or worth pursuing. Every client at that firm is either the first-person alpha testing some new concept, or a legacy client implemented on some lark that the new engineers know nothing about. I would caution clients to ask about what they are seeing in demos, because most of what gets presented was built on technology that isn’t used anymore. The company pursues the same “proof of concept” strategy with respect to it’s people and offices. Kurtosys has been around for over Ten years, but 80% of it’s employees have been around for less than two. The company opens offices grows them to a certain point and then realizes that they can’t afford the quality of talent they need, so they divert their focus to another area and let the legacy office slowly die. Reno was replaced by North Carolina, New York will likely be next while South Africa swallowed India and is bleeding out London. Unfortunately, South Africa hasn’t proved to be a smashing success with high turnover and abysmal employee satisfaction ratings combined with wage pressure. It is only a matter of time before the company finds a new up and coming region. Kurtosys will probably follow the success of their WordPress vendor who hires all their developers in Poland.

December 4, 2017People Operations Manager

Thank you for your several years of contribution. We are sad to have you leave with a negative view, but we are sure that there were a variety of factors that kept you here for several years including the people. You are correct to point that we are a company that is evolving and iterating, and we hope that never changes. We are a technology company that is focused on innovation. We are committed to that. We could see how that may make some people feel uncomfortable while an exciting place to work for others. We have and will continue to explore new technology and iterate and evolve as necessary. Every software company has issues with legacy code. We have been around for 15 years, and we are no different. We focus on meeting our client’s needs, supporting them, and offer enhancements of their existing offerings while giving our teams the opportunity to expand their skillsets, all while continuously improving our client experience as technology platform. Kurtosys has been strategic about where we locate our people, although historically that hasn’t been the case. It has been a three year evolution and is core to our future. Expanding our operations in South Africa and Raleigh, NC have been key tenants to that strategy, due to the exceptional technical talent located in these areas. To say that the South African office has a high turnover, abysmal employee satisfaction ratings and wage pressure is incorrect. A recent Employee Engagement Survey revealed that over 80% of the team based in South Africa reported that they are proud to work for this company and are satisfied working here. We are rolling out new benefits and provide market competitive wages. In an industry where people change jobs at a very rapid rate, we have decreased our turnover rate significantly, and now have a People Operations team in place to continue to help improve retention. We are committed to our employees. They are in no way a curtain to hide behind, but are rather the backbone upon which we grow and succeed as an organization. Internal training initiatives, hiring from within, promotions, weekly 1x1’s and quarterly performance assessments are some of the tools in place to help develop the careers of our people. Is there room for improvement? Always. Will the CFO, COO read this before it is posted? Yes please! - not necessarily because he can do it better, but because he has helped build this company, he takes the time to read each review, and he cares about the views of all our employees current and past. Nikki Leske (People Operations Manager) Tamsyn Cooper (People Operations Specialist)

"A Shell of a Company"

I worked at Kurtosys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very valuable experience in supporting a product that theoretically makes sense and interfacing with high caliber clientele.

Cons

Many of the positive reviews here are so for at least one reason: The company promotes empty promises that instill false hopes in its employees. The company is addled with a high turnover rate. As an employee, one is made to feel like the company is doing you a favor by paying you anything and employing you, at all. You are then made to feel bad about being undervalued, like it is something you've done and so (my guess is) that many think paying lip-service to Kurtosys is somehow going to help. Kurtosys sets up thin veneers in every fathomable way. A thin veneer of cultural identity; of product integrity; of invest-ability; of accountability; and the list (believe you me) goes on and on. The incredible thing is that it doesn't need to. The virus-like, zombified way in which gets by has nothing to do with anything other than its own self-sabotaging ways. Much like the pejorative martyr, it eeks out its pathetic existence through sheer vampirism at the expense of its employees' willingness to expend their own energy on its behest, and to - above all else - buy into the illusion that Kurtosys cares (see this review's inevitable, well-crafted 'Apologist' response). But hey, the little green stars populating the Glassdoor page will be enough to convince you otherwise. So, feel free to apply! But what's inside the tin heart of this entity? Good but unrealized intentions? No, behind all of these props lies Nothing. And, for this reason, I titled this review, "A Shell of a Company." Those are the worst kinds of things in this world. Things that take and never give. Things that take by making you feel that they are owed. Because you can't fill up emptiness, you will be giving until you have expired. And if that expiry comes close to Christmas, do not expect any mercy because a tin heart gives none.

November 14, 2017People Operations Manager

It is great to hear that you gained valuable experience while working here but it saddens us to read that you have left Kurtosys with such a bitter taste in your mouth. You mention that we normally respond to such reviews with ‘apologist’ responses and we concur, as we firmly believe that if we need to apologize for contributing to negative feelings about the company, it is important that we do so. Furthermore, we appreciate that feedback given in an anonymous manner such as here on Glassdoor should be treated as being important, and that we should always look for ways to improve and better ourselves based on any and all constructive criticism that we are given. We also look at these reviews as a public space to highlight and demonstrate the areas that we are improving on and developing as an organization. Conversely, as in the case of your review, we also need to highlight instances where the feedback we are receiving is not indicative of the Kurtosys culture and business operations. You mention that employees only post positive reviews of us here to pay lip-service to the company. Given that this is an anonymous space, it is hard to imagine that people would take time out of their day to post positive feedback on Glassdoor, especially if they are feeling undervalued and are expending as much energy on the company as you suggest. Furthermore, over 20% of the hires that are made at Kurtosys are people that come to us as referrals from existing employees. It does not seem plausible that our existing employees would want others to join them in a shell of a company, or that people would take time to contribute to the creation of an illusion of happiness and job satisfaction on a space such as this. You use many emotive words in your review, and your frustration and disappointment is very explicit. Vampirism, virus-like, zombified – all strong descriptive words that would never bother a company that does not care – or that has an empty tin heart. Your review is taken seriously. We are very aware that beneath the veneer of your word choice there is a very simple message: “I feel as though I gave a lot to this company and as I leave I feel as though the company did not care about me and took more from me than what I got back”. We are sincerely sorry that you feel this way and we take no pleasure in your dissatisfaction. We know that our staff have at times felt overworked as a result of the growing pains of a growing company, and we take full responsibility for this, and learn from our experiences. What we have most certainly not done is to sit back and watch while our teams expend their energy on Kurtosys beset. The steps we have taken, e.g. hiring a talent team to help us to staff up, improving our processes, have and continue to improve on this every day. Additionally, you can be assured that managers and execs alike all roll up their sleeves and work with their teams to reach our goals. This response may be apologist in part, but quite simply, there is no room for a pejorative martyr at Kurtosys. It takes brains, heart and bravery to make a company great, and we are confident that our people have these attributes in abundance. It is important to mention that we are incredibly proud of our people and what we are achieving here. With the help of the greater Kurtosys team we are now nearly staffed up, we are able to deliver excellent products to our clients and there is a palpable excitement about what we are doing as an organization bubbling up beneath the shell. Sincerely Kurtosys Nikki Leske - People Operations Manager Tamsyn Cooper - People Operations Specialist please feel free to reach out to us with any comments or questions

"Floundering 10 year startup"

I worked at Kurtosys full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Casual dress.

Cons

The major overarching issue with Kurtosys is that it is a 10 year old startup that is somehow still a startup. The reasons behind this are too many to leave a complete account here, but here are some of the reasons that come to mind. 1. The CEO not located in the United States creates an environment where the real 'culture' of the company is in London. The 'HQ' in New York does not get the focus, resources, and culture it needs to be successful. 2. Pressure to be profitable has created an environment where decisions are made with only the short term plan in mind. They cannot afford to do what is BEST, only what gets them out of the fire of the day. 3. The product solves a need in the market but at its core is too hard to implement to gain the kind of scale necessary to be a sustainable business.

October 20, 2017COO & CFO

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we have strategically decided to right size New York. New York is the company’s headquarters in name only, and we will only have 8 – 12 FTEs moving forward in that office. A location that small, shouldn’t be the headquarters of a company with ~200 FTEs. Instead, we have 3 executives in the office, but we should do a better job of socializing and investing in activities. I will make a conscious effort of doing that. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your feedback given the size of the office to have the CEO based there. That decision does not make strategic sense for our company and certainly conflicts with our overarching strategy of globalization. We have been very open with the NY team for quite some time that we are only hiring Sales people in the NY office (ie. customer facing roles). We are looking to move to a co-location facility which will also change the environment. We have been strategic about where we locate people. I believe we have made the right decisions to significantly expand our operations in South Africa and Raleigh, NC. The leaders there have built tremendous teams and an environment where people are excited to go to work. Mash, our CEO, has created a similar environment in our London office. Clearly, I need to do a better job in our NY office. I wouldn’t define us as a start up. We are an early stage company. We have made significant investments in the business over the past three years. Specifically, we have heavily invested in product, engineering, sales and operations. We share our financial results on a monthly basis with the entire company which highlights these investments. While making significant investments in the business, growing our top line, we will be a company that generates cash and profitability next year. Most start-ups never achieve this milestone, yet, we are upon the precipice. I am proud of what our team has accomplished. We have made great strides to modernize our platform over the past two years, but we are not without our challenges. We do have a longer implementation cycle which we are looking to accelerate. I agree, we aren’t a start up anymore. We are a company that has matured and is evolving. I hope this continues. Thank you for your feedback.

"Great experience thus far"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Kurtosys full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is making a serious push to be better, and making serious investments into really talented people in multiple departments. Culture of the New York office is good.Plenty of room for growth for a hard worker. Management to date is very transparent, and make each employee feel apart of the overall direction and structure of the firm. Decent benefits package / snacks in office / company social events. Great location in flatiron. Young and energetic environment. Timing and market for product seems right. New managers in certain departments are highly skilled, and offer younger less experienced team members direct learning experience. (Please note this is from a sales prospective)

Cons

Some typical issues in the tech/startup space. Expanding workforce can cause company culture changes that are out of a junior members control. Global firm, many times there is little connection to workers outside of direct office/department. Some legacy aspects of the firm can cause functional/political issues. Not a company for a "work from home" sales rep. Sometimes can feel understaffed in certain departments, and intellectual knowledge can be siloed to one or two individuals who due to workflow have little time to share that content to more junior employee's. Not much "group learning" information sharing sessions typically seen at sales orgs.

October 30, 2017COO & CFO

Thank you for your response. We really appreciate your feedback. We try to foster a strong culture for personal growth across the company. Our NY office has had some issues in the past, so we are pleased to see that you feel that there is progress. Sales in general is an incredibly difficult and challenging position, and we should definitely do more to increase sales opportunities. We will look into doing that. Definitely focused on empowering our people. We hope a majority of our colleagues feel like they have the ability to make a difference here. Thanks again for your feedback. We really appreciate it! The People Operations Team

Found 89 reviews