Kurtz EMS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 3, 2019

2.0
Thomas J. Vana

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "paramedic/ firefighter/ BLS instructor"

Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic/BLS Instructor in Vance, AL
    Current Employee - Firefighter/Paramedic/BLS Instructor in Vance, AL

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

love the job, patient care and, teaching

Cons

none so far. Great company

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

2. "Eh place to work"

I have been working at Kurtz EMS part-time

Pros

21 an hour for first 36 hours

Cons

18 an hour after 36 hours. Ambulances are broken and monitors work when they want to, some do not even deliver shocks. You’re lucky if you have HVAC front and back that works.

Advice to Management

Quit worrying about money, there will be business. Fix your ambulances and take care of your employees. Make sure your employees follow HIPAA standards.

"1/10, would not do again."

Former Employee - EMT-Basic
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic

I worked at Kurtz EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dispatch was cool and easy to get along with.
    I've made a lot of good friends through the company.
    I think everyone stays because of the people they work with, honestly. The EMTs and paramedics are the glue of the company.

Cons

Pay sucked.
    Good luck getting the raise that they assure you you'll get every year.
    Upper management = trash
    Let me elaborate...I worked for the Rescue Eight division of Kurtz. When Kurtz was bought out by AMR, it was decided that the Rescue Eight division would be shut down entirely...RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (2018). We were told that we could stay with Kurtz and they'd offer us a little extra money for gas to get down to headquarters, which was an hour and a half to two hours away. Now, this extra money they claimed we would get was $1,000 a year...so what is that really going to cover if it's sprinkled in our bi-weekly paychecks throughout the whole year? Also, they refused to put it in writing and this company has a reputation for lying their butts off. All of the Rescue Eight employees gave their two weeks notice and, because of that, 6 of us had our licenses threatened over petty things like forgetting or mixing up a single number in a run. I wish I was kidding. Upper management threatened to report us all to the Silver Cross system and IDPH over that crap. This place is not worth losing your license over...no place is. And to top it off, also during the last two weeks there, my partner and I were promised shifts down at their headquarters. I had CALLED OFF a few days prior because I didn't have a babysitter. Dispatch put me in for PTO. Upper management changed it and said I was a no-call, no-show, which I have never done in my almost 3 years of employment. I got that straightened out. I went to work the next day, clocked in, and that same individual put me down as a no-call, no-show yet again, even though I was on shift. I got that straightened out, but I mean WHO DOES THAT ANYWAY? Then those shifts down at headquarters were taken away from us because of this individual's saltiness that the company was losing a bunch of reliable people and they blamed it on my no-call, no-shows even though they never existed.
    Anyway, that's only the last two weeks of working there. Over the years of working under them, upper management has gotten too shady to tolerate. Our division was stripped of coverage and brought down south to do work out in New Lenox, Harvey, South Holland, Markham, Joliet, etc. too many times to the point where our contracts thought we were closed down a year ago when we weren't. Contracts stopped calling, our call volume dropped, and they used the poor call volume that they caused as an excuse to take our EMTs and paramedics down to Kurtzland and strip our area of coverage over and over again until we barely got any calls for our division, if any. Dispatch was instructed to say "Thank you for calling Kurtz" instead of "Rescue Eight" when our contracts would call in to get an ambulance to their facility, often gave unrealistic ETAs (like 2-3 hours when it was really only 15 minutes), and the staff at the nursing homes we serviced also told us personally that they were told that Rescue Eight was not taking any calls when they'd call into dispatch, which was wrong. I could go on about a lot more, but are you really going to read my entire review as it is? Probably not.

Advice to Management

Get better at being decent human beings.

"EMT-B"

I worked at Kurtz EMS full-time

Pros

Work can sometimes be fun if you have a good partner.

Cons

Horrible management who cares only about money.

"Industrial Firefighters Wanted. Come be a doormat."

Current Employee - Firefighter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Firefighter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and an alright schedule compared to the private EMS world.

Very rarely held over.

Training is good at times.

Cons

Weak middle management combined with clueless upper management who don't fight for their employees.

Coworkers who have been conditioned into doormats for the company.

An industrial client who works you well outside of the job scope of an industrial firefighter/paramedic/EMT

Lower pay and higher workload when compared with other workers in the refinery.

Insurance: hope you like paying $100 a paycheck for a $1500 deductible if you're single.

Advice to Management

Replace them all. Get someone who actually knows how to conduct a business and respects their employees.

"Ughh..."

Current Employee - EMT-B in New Lenox, IL
    Current Employee - EMT-B in New Lenox, IL

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Money to be made if you want it

Cons

If you want to make $$ you are married to this place. Low starting pay. Hard to get the days you want off. They will not budge on the schedule. Even though I put in a lot of hours and I have the most seniority at my base I cannot get a whole weekend off. I get excuses. My loyalty to this company, seniority and hard work mean nothing I guess. I believe whole PTO (paid time off) thing is a scam and they use it against you whenever they choose. Like if you get off early because your partner is sick or you call off because you are sick. So you never get a full week off. If you are scheduled they will never give you a day off without PTO. Management does not care about their employees. They lie and give lots of promises about the future of this company that never come to pass. If it was not for the money I would quit.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with the schedule. Compromise with your employees.

7. "Fun but not well organized"

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, good schedule flexible scheduling allowing trade time

Cons

pay should be better for the contract that I work, There is no minimum staffing so if someone takes off its forced OT.

Advice to Management

Get your employees better pay.

"Fire Safety Tech at Lemont Refinery"

Current Employee - Fire Safety Tech in Lemont, IL
    Current Employee - Fire Safety Tech in Lemont, IL

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

24 / 48 schedule is nice

Cons

Terrible pay, long hours, poor leadership, knowledge and experience do not matter...just who you know, Turnover rate about 75-100% per year.

Advice to Management

Pay better and hire more people or renegotiate to drop safety and air duties

9. "Dispatch"

I worked at Kurtz EMS full-time

Pros

Good people schedule was good benefits were needed

Cons

Bosses were rough at times high stressful

Advice to Management

Hire more people to make up for lack of staffing

10. "So far not bad, on a contract, Supervisor Chris E is excellent, he's someone who will fight and go to bat for his team"

Current Employee - Paramedic in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Kurtz EMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of overtime available, can rake in the money in overtime. Plus Manager Chris E is an awesome manager.

Cons

The contract paramedics make less than minimum wage, for Illinois going to $15.00 an hour for minimum wage, the company cannot keep or get paramedics to work. They say they have competitive pay, however in actuality, they do not! They pay below minimum wage

Advice to Management

If you want more paramedics increase the pay scale. Listen to your employees, as well as take direction from Chris E, who believes in his team and fights for them. People make mistakes, not intentionally, we are only human!