Kwik Trip Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Kwik Trip President and CEO Don Zietlow
Don Zietlow

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, leadership keeps employees up to date, profit sharing, always looking forward" (in 90 reviews)

• "Part time isn’t bad, but you MUST have a good midwestern work ethic" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "You're allowed 2 10 minute breaks per 8 hour shift" (in 15 reviews)

• "10 minute breaks on a 10 1/2 hour shift that I maybe got to take" (in 25 reviews)

"Not Bad"

I have been working at Kwik Trip (More than 8 years)

Pros

Part time isn’t bad, but you MUST have a good midwestern work ethic.

Cons

Company is getting too big.

Advice to Management

Go back to some of your old ways stop expanding so much, and quit hiring incompetent people into management.

2. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Work with student schedules and there was always something to do during your shift so you never felt bored.

Cons

Often short staffed but other than that an overall great place to work.

3. "Meh"

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time

Pros

It has great pay and ok benefits

Cons

Most stores have a negative environment

4. "Good Company, Poor Employee Value"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in River Falls, WI

I have been working at Kwik Trip part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent wages
    Decent Managent
    Work keeps you busy but isn’t overwhelming unless in kitchen
    Great job for people who can work full time

Cons

If you are part time they will not give you hours, or prioritize people who clearly put in more effort. Not worth putting in extra effort, it will remain unrewarded.

Upper management will allow complete abuse of policies and employees to make horrible customers happy

"Conflicted"

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member - Cashier in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Kwik Trip part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    End of the year bonus
    Work anniversary gift
    Free coffee/tea during shift
    Wellness program
    Free carwash with each paycheck
    Opportunity to advance
    Family Company

Cons

A consistent shift in Managment
    Singy management
    Random drug testing
    Some of the customer base

Advice to Management

I worked at a Kwik Trip part-time during the summer of 2016, and part of the summer of 2017 while I was in college.

That first summer, I really loved it. I love the people I worked with, the pay, the benefits, and flexibility for vacation days or time off. Kwik trip, as a company, is known to treat their employees well, and they do. Not to mention, I worked at a truck stop between states, and there were always interesting people coming through. Also, I loved doing CAT scales and fuel receipts for truckers. It was just something different. They let me take an "academic leave" for school, which was awesome because that let me focus on school and then come back the next summer.

However, once I came back to work there during the summer of 2017, most of the management I loved switched and moved on to other stores, which I understand will happen. But the new management was very stingy and did not manage their employees well. If we were short staffed (which happened frequently), they would call in employees asking them to pick up extra hours or add their name at random and without notice to the schedule. People would not see this last minute add (since scheduled would come out 2 weeks in advance and they would write it down at that point) and they would miss that shift, resulting in a penalty. Or, they would ask employees to stay a couple hours longer, while they would go home an hour or so early. Also one time, I had food poisoning and was literally getting sick in the bathroom, and I asked to go home. That was about two hours into my eight-hour shift. The made me stay until hour seven despite the fact I was in the bathroom for most of it. Mind you, while I was not in the bathroom getting sick, they put me on a register to handle food, money, and interact with customers. Honestly, one of the worst days I've had. Also, as a female in college, some (not all!) of the truckers could be crude with sexual humor and suggestions. that got old really quick.

Lastly, this is a very personal opinion of mine, but I don't agree with the politics and leadership they morally and financially support.

So I suppose it is a luck of the draw. The first year was awesome and I was honestly excited to come back the following summer. But the second summer was the opposite of the first.

6. "Great job"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Kwik Trip (Less than a year)

Pros

The corporate company treats them very well. They are known for appraisals. They make sure you get recognized for doing a good job. They also offer profit sharing at the end of the year and it is very generous and they celebrate the anniversaries of your hard work.

Cons

No complaints, they are a good growing company

7. "A Family-Owned Company"

Former Employee - Store Leader
    Former Employee - Store Leader

I worked at Kwik Trip full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, fun, competitive, great growth opportunity

Cons

Poor work life balance, call ins, burn out for higher-performing co-workers

Advice to Management

Create time for your Store Leaders, and remember to offer them praise.

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Food Service Leader in Forest Lake, MN
    Current Employee - Food Service Leader in Forest Lake, MN

I have been working at Kwik Trip full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Awesome
    - Bonus check right before
    -40% profit sharing
    -Comoetitions between stores in districts to get gift cards (you can get up to 1 per month, first place being $20! for everyone in the store)
    -I love my job, I've only been there a year, I started out as a overnighter and moved up to food service leader within a year.
    -Manegment does their best to listen to complaints and they are willing to consider your own ideas to make the work environment better.
    - Awesome
    - Great company, I'm glad to be apart of the family!
    -Don is awesome at what he does, and for me personally I believe he is awesome at encouraging us, thanking us, and putting a little renewed spark into our work lives when we need it most!

Cons

- Some co workers are unmotivated which causes a lot of
    - We have slight organization problems. it's not ruining anyones lives or anything but an example is who orders what isn't fully communicated so some things might get skipped because I don't know i am supposed to order them or I will order stuff just to make sure we have it and there's 20 million of them already, just an area my store could improve on.
    - We get a lot of stress from our district leaders.

Advice to Management

Try really looking at some people when you hire them and try thinking if you actually think they will be highly motivated or not. Keep up the good work I know a lot of stress is put onto you guys specifically I'm third down for management and I get plenty of stress so I can only imagine what you guys go through, but keep up the awesome jobs! keep hiring and keep doing what your doing with trying to try new things and attempting to benefit your employees as best as you can, we all really appreciate it!

"Not worth it"

I have been working at Kwik Trip part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people for the most part

Cons

Short breaks, short staffed, brainwashing with how great the bonus is, unrealistic expectations, profit over everything no matter what they say

Advice to Management

Communicate better

10. "Coworker"

I have been working at Kwik Trip part-time

Pros

Pay, people, working in the cooler

Cons

The hours per week are inconsistent. They hire so many new people when they are tight on hours.

Advice to Management

Trust your coworkers to get their work done.