Kyäni Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Michael Breshears

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Kyäni full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Fast paced environment which makes work a challenge at times, but keeps it interesting
    -Good and excited leadership looking to grow the company
    -Good opportunities for professional and personal growth. Some opportunities to gain some outside training for some employees.
    -Autonomy in managing work load depending on the department you work in
    -Opportunities for travel
    -Good group of co-workers

Cons

- Reactionary to business situations rather than proactively addressing issues
    - Make decisions to appease a select few people instead of the whole group
    - No real incentives to do more than just come to work and put in your time each day.
    - No bonus potential

Advice to Management

Improve communication throughout company

2. "Good but Androcentric Company"

I have been working at Kyäni full-time

Pros

Kyäni, in a lot of ways, feels more like a family than a workplace. It's a friendly work environment with the great majority of the employees being fantastic, hardworking, fun people.

Kyäni has an awesome employee Christmas party with drawings for really nice gifts, provides lunch together as a company at the end of each month, and, for the most part, is a good, drama-free, non-toxic work environment where everyone works hard and gets along.

I feel like, overall, compensation is fair for the area we live in (even if there is a significant gender wage gap). Pay and overall work-life balance at Kyäni is good for most of us. There are a few people who have to work a lot of long days but they seem to be in the minority.

I think the owners care about their employees, want to provide good wages and opportunities, and want to make a positive difference in the world through the company and its charity work. In my interactions with the owners I've found them to be good people of high integrity, which is really important in a small company.

I feel like my manager doesn't micromanage me too much, which is nice. I feel like I'm trusted to do a good job, to be a self starter, and to make many decisions on my own.

Benefits like heath insurance, PTO, 401K, etc. seem to be pretty fair and in line with other companies in SE Idaho.

Kyäni is so close to being an incredible company to work for. Just a few small changes could really bump it from a good company to work for to a fantastic one.

Cons

Kyäni's main downside is that it's a completely androcentric company. I would wholeheartedly recommend Kyäni as an employer to any of my male friends or family, but would only with great reservation recommend it to my female friends and family members.

Kyäni has zero maternity leave, yes, zero. I believe this stems from the underlying assumption at Kyäni that women should only be in the workplace before they have children or after their children are grown up and out of the house, if at all. This is an archaic and privileged way of looking at things. Not all women have someone to support them, not all women want to be a stay at home wife/mom, and thinking that women shouldn't be in the workplace creates a sexist environment that makes it very difficult for those women who have to be or choose to be in the workplace to progress, be valued, and be properly compensated.

Kyäni has no real female executives so women are not represented and have no voice when it comes to company policies, and because of that women at Kyäni don't have the the resources they need to be as successful as the men.

Overall, like I mentioned in the Pros list, the work environment and comradery at Kyäni is a overall very positive. However, there are a couple of rotten apples, as there are in all work places. The difference is at Kyäni those two bad apples are executives. So they do more damage and hurt more employees than a workplace bully would normally be able to do. They are in the great minority as the rest of the executives are great men, but there's no reason for a company as good as Kyäni is to allow a couple executives to create a toxic work environment for others.

Advice to Management

Create a communication channel between executives and the other employees. Internal communication between the classes in the company is quite poor. There must be some app or program or system that could help. The IT department uses Slack. Perhaps the other departments could benefit from that. But it’s not just about having proper tools. Executives need to make a conscious effort to communicate with their departments. They have exec only meetings and then those who need to make all the big ideas the execs come up with in those meetings actually happen are often left out of the loop which makes them less efficient as well as frustrated.

Reevaluate who has offices and why they have them and move men out of some of the offices and give them to the women who manage teams as well as creating a mother's lounge whenever it's necessary to have one. Right now the physical organization of the offices and cubicles (and who gets the offices) is completely nonsensical and needs to be reevaluated. It doesn’t look right that women managers aren’t in offices when so many men who aren’t managers are in offices. It lowers morale for all the women in the company, whether they are one of the ones who should be in an office or not.

Evaluate the pay of women in the company and compare their pay to the men in their position (or the most similar position to them) and do something to bridge the gap. It’s there, look for it.

A slight paradigm shift with a few small changes in the way women are valued in the company could easily raise Kyäni from a good place to work to a fantastic one. No empowerment of women is needed when the workplace is fair, free of sexist attitudes, women are valued, their opinions are considered, and compensation for women is equal. So don’t focus on empowering women. Focus instead on changing how you view and value women in the workplace. That will change everything.

3. "Friendly workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Kyäni full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company
    Friendly coworkers
    Frequent interaction with other departments
    Monthly lunch

Cons

Top heavy
    Communication between upper-level management and lower-levels.
    A lot of overtime

4. "Independent contractor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Kyäni part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome staff awesome people great mentorship program

Cons

All commission based. Hard to be a part of during times of high stress .

"Good opportunity with some frustrations"

Pros

Some positions require travel.
    Some managers and executives are very skilled and excellent to work with.
    Some departments have strong teams.
    Compensations and benefits are decent for the area.
    Good opportunity to learn and experience new cultures, develop new skills, and take on new responsibilities.

Cons

Some departments are understaffed.
    Upward mobility seems impossible.
    There is a lack of any female leadership or influence.
    Recently formed executive cabinet (all male) is seen from the outside as ineffective and consisting of "yes men" with few exceptions.
    Many business decisions seem to be "knee-jerk" reactions rather than thought-out strategies.
    There is an eagerness to always have something new and exciting to tell distributors about. This leads to rushing new product launches and other initiatives.

Advice to Management

The fear leadership style is dated and ineffective. If you want to do a better job keeping motivated, "bought-in" employees, you'll need to learn how to better lead people. Fear is not the strongest motivator.

When something happens that you don't like, the professional and effective thing to do is communicate. Explain what when wrong in your eyes and collaborate with your team to SOLVE the problem. Nobody is purposely trying to do a poor job. Dealing with issues negatively breeds more negativity and breaks down trust. Again, you'll get more out of someone who loves you than those that fear you.

The cabinet is made up of some very smart and experienced executives with great ideas. Listen to them. Listening to distributors is important, but not as important as what could be gained from honest collaboration from the cabinet, and employees.

Respect in leadership must be earned. It's fine to ask employees to find ways to save the company money. It's impossible to earn respect if executives are seen as unwilling to participate.

Lower level employees are regularly asked to drive 1-4 hours or share hotel rooms in order to save a few hundred dollars while some management and executives are flying first class, staying in large suites, and enjoying other perks. It's very difficult as an employee to buy-in to the idea of respecting leadership and wanting to do your very best when this is the perception. Remember that it these same lower level employees who are traveling away from their families, working 15+ hour days, working weekends, and staying behind to clean up long after (some) management has jetted out.

If you hire a professional to do a job, have some trust that they may know how to do their job and produce excellent results, even if you don't understand what they are doing or see that they are doing it differently than the way you are used to.

This is obviously just the observations of one employee. There are many positive things about working at Kyäni corporate. I've tried to outline some of the perceptions that led me to the decision to leave when the opportunity came.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Kyäni full-time

Pros

Kyäni is an exciting, fast paced company that challenges employees to think bigger and better and to perform at their best! Employees experience a lot of autonomy with completing work tasks. The culture is family friendly!

Cons

Employees are expected to wear multiple hats and juggle many projects simultaneously. This is good because it stretches employees ability, but it can also be tiring if employees' don't maintain a work life balance.

Advice to Management

Adopt a more bottom-up management style.

"Best company I've ever worked for, but has some rough edges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Kyäni (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kyani lets you succeed hard and fail hard, which is nice. You are a team member and not a paper pusher, your daily efforts push the company forward and you can see your contributions changing the company.

I've worked with Kyani for several years now and have seen many people come and some go. The Kyani team is largely very pleasant to work with, and would definitely consider many to be close friends.

Besides the many cons I have listed below Kyani has definitely been the best company I've ever worked for. Certainly the longest company I've ever worked for. I've learned many skills here at Kyani.

Many of the upper management (Cabinet Members) are approachable, friendly and listen to you. All have great senses of humor. Even the owners of the company take time to talk to you and many know your names and a little about you.

Kyani has been very good to me and my family.

Cons

Emotions here are so flipped, one day you feel like management loves you, the next moment you're thinking you're going to have to pack your desk.

Deadlines are insane and are bumped up many times causing many departments to have to pull long hours over and over again.

It's annoying you work 12 hours one day and take off an hour early the next day and you're looked down on by HR and other peers for missing work, but no mention of the early morning or late nights.

Lack of inter-department communication is annoying, they have the "cabinet meetings" but I'm not sure many of the cabinet members know really what's going on in their departments, let alone what's really involved with what needs to get done.

The hierarchy here is too flat to really have many career opportunities, most people report directly to a cabinet member, so you don't really get to have many leadership experiences.

Advice to Management

Consider encouraging more management opportunities, some people can't go any further because C-Level is what's immediately above them.

More employee benefits would be nice, like drinks or something.

8. "Kyani Garland (Distributer)"

Current Employee - Distributor in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Distributor in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Kyäni part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic awesome Self selling Gold Star Super product.

Cons

There is none bad to say about it

Advice to Management

Let impact millions of lives together!!!

9. "Enjoyable place to work"

I have been working at Kyäni full-time

Pros

The people. Without a doubt the people in the company. My salary is pretty comparable to other companies so no complaint there.

Cons

The employee vacation benefits are seriously lacking. No vacation for the first year. At the beginning of your second year you have 5 days. Flexible work hours are not permitted. Sadly still a pretty male chauvinistic atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Fix the vacation structure - change to PTO instead of separate vacation and sick time hours. Implement flex hours - allow employees to work their 8 hours that are conducive to a positive work/life balance. If working 4 ten hour days is manageable by department allow employees the opportunity. Maybe reign in upper management - we seem to be quite top heavy.

10. "Good Office Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Kyäni full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- All management is down to earth and fairly easy to communicate with.
    - The CEO is approachable. He knows when to laugh and joke with his employees and when to get down to business.
    - Great comradery between employees and departments. I've laughed almost every day at the office.
    - The employee appreciation is palpable.
    - Management give great opportunities for employees to express ideas they may have for improvement.

Cons

- Communication between departments is not the best. Often parts of projects are done twice because no one sat down with people outside their own department to figure out how all the parts fit together and when things needed to be completed.
    - Deadlines are often changed or given on short notice causing some projects to fall behind and employees to stay late trying to make the impossible possible.
    - Major changes are not always planned very well causing last minute changes to happen every time.

Advice to Management

Please help your employees communicate better on projects that take more than one department.