López Negrete Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
López Negrete President & CEO Alex López Negrete
Alex López Negrete

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun, friendly, good time with good people (in 7 reviews)

• There's a lot of room to grow and so many nice people to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This has a negative affect on work/life balance as people are very often working late (of course people come in to work late too, many after 9:30-10am) (in 7 reviews)

• We worked some long hours but again the team members made it worth it in the long run (in 6 reviews)

"Assistant"

Pros

Fun Environment, Decent opportunity for growth if it presents itself

Cons

Myopic look at trends and current state of the industry

2. "It's good experience to work here, but no longer than a couple of years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good accounts list, great people to work with (most are ok) from different depts.

Cons

There is no room for social or family life here, you could work 60-80 hrs on any given week. Unless you're an AE, you won't be noticed nor get the promotion. There are a LOT of new business pitches, in addition to your day-to-day, adds to the long days. Health benefits are not that great, they offer 401K that could be good if you enroll.

Advice to Management

Really look deep into who is really contributing to your company's growth and who is dead weight, you'll be quite surprised!

3. "Brown-nosers and workaholics have a chance here"

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of. Maybe good pay, but that depends on every case. They love the "familia" narrative but that's only a distraction from the real problems.

Cons

Horrible management, with plenty of favors to those who will do anything for La Familia and only disgrace and very long hours for those who do the actual work. This is a true career-destroyer. Don't even try this--unless you hate your career.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

What a shame that you feel this way about Lopez Negrete. We don't take the family references lightly. And, there's plenty of evidence of real family effort over the years, including organizing... More

"Well past its glory days"

Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few talented people working hard to produce the best work possible, considering the circumstances at that place.

Cons

Doesn't matter how good you are or how hard you try to create great work. If top management (most of which DO NOT have an advertising background) doesn't like it, prepare to have your work butchered and turned into some generic pap.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

In the interest of accuracy, we'd like to point out that every top manager at Lopez Negrete has at least 15 years of experience in the advertising industry. We're sorry our agency was not a good fit... More

"Hispanic Agency in Houston"

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to get your teeth cut in the advertising agency world if you have very thick skin.

Cons

Bootcamp -like environment where you get to experience the cutthroat nature of the advertising world. Very large employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Be a little more human with the employees. Invest more in employee retention.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

While it's true that the advertising world is fast-paced and challenging, most of our clients value the thoughtful creative work we deliver. We feel that the long relationships we've had with our... More

"HMFICOMOD"

Pros

Fajitas and liquor when the chips are down!

Build the bar on the 4th and they will come!

As one intelligent soul of higher power said, "you don't need water. Laughter feeds the soul. After all it's only water."

Cons

Infinite loops around the toilet bowl! They want me to write twenty words or more for the cons... i'm exhausted already.

Advice to Management

None needed.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We love a funny comment, even when it bites a little. We may not agree with you, but we're hoping you are bringing your clever sarcasm to the brand(s) you support at the agency. Thank you.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people is very nice and the clients of most of the accounts are a pleasure to work with. The HR team is also very nice and always open to listen to their employees even most of the time they cannot do anything to help.

Cons

The heads of the agency specially in the Management team are a nightmare to work with. It is an agency that says is all about family since the owners are but the benefits, the policies the flexibility is not family oriented. If you are young or old but lonely with no need of money, with no life and no desire to advance in your career this is a good place to work

Advice to Management

The only reason you have been losing all your clients and wasting tons of money on pitches that end in nothing is because everyone or 90% of the people that works there HATES the place but since Houston does not have a lot of agencies then is difficult to leave. But employees need to be motivated, need to feel they are valuable, need to feel that if they give the agency many hrs of work then the company will help them grow, will appreciate the time and most important will realize that employees NEED a balance between work and family. This company does not know the meaning of loyalty and it is sad to see that years ago it was a happy environment and now walking around feels like a funeral.

"Brown Nosing Academy of Houston"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't really find anything to highlight as a pro.

Cons

Owners only seem to care about how much money they will make. If you are not the owner's friend you will not advance your career there. They are extremely safe in terms of creative, which is not what you would like for a "creative" agency. They will police you all the time, even try to check your social media activity.

Advice to Management

Retire. Let the people you hire use their talent and you'll be much more successful.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Policing social media activity is something we don't do and have never done. We try to respond to objective and factual commentary. Nonetheless, we appreciate the 3+ years you gave to our agency in... More

"Manager"

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

None, can't think of any.

Cons

Close-minded, cliche work, leadership is in the business of making themselves rich. not much else. anyone that wants a comfy 9-5 job where you play nice and shuffle paper around, without asking or proposing anything remotely smart or different - this job's for you. deplorable benefits.

Advice to Management

none. they wouldn't take it anyway.

"Great 4 year experience"

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the brainstorms, the collaboration, the debates and disagreements, but no matter what at the end of the day, we were able create great (award-winning) campaigns.

There are very committed employees within a friendly and collaborative environment. This great environment push you to be the best you can be.

The Strategic Plannint Unit (business analytics and planning) is world-class. It provides great insight that are leveraged across all clients. Also, digital/development team is very proactive, innovative and problem-solving as well as very well integrated with the other departments.

It also very active in employee-oriented activities, from company parties (Halloween, Christmas, Cinco de Mayo, etc) to community service (APOD, Food Bank)

Alex Lopez Negrete has a great vision for the company as well as he is very strategic on helping client's to address the new realities of the Hispanic market

Cons

Need to have more discipline on running annual reviews and determine goals

Training budget approval/refusal takes time ending in uncertainty and higher cost to the company (missing registration deadlines)

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your constructive commentary! We'll definitely consider your remarks as we try to make Lopez Negrete a better workplace all the time.