López Negrete Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
López Negrete President & CEO Alex López Negrete
Alex López Negrete

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There's a lot of room to grow and so many nice people to work for (in 5 reviews)

• Good Pay, Benefits and Co-Workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We worked some long hours but again the team members made it worth it in the long run (in 6 reviews)

• It's a sweat shop and the management is horrible (in 4 reviews)

"I liked working there!"

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot at LNC. Their team is strong and analytical. It was never boring, and we had fun. Liked the cool building environment and the occasional happy hours. Felt like family in some ways.

Cons

They had a bad year, and they're working out what they're going to look like in the age of technology. Moving away from broadcast to tech-connected media is going to be hard for everybody, but these guys see the challenges. Just need some fine-tuning. Holiday hours aren't good - they should close for Christmas week like everybody else.

Advice to Management

Keep tuning. Bring in some more fresh ideas (new people) and be more flexible with telecommuting and time off, especially at year end. That's what people expect, and you want good people to stay.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary - Office Atmosphere - Nice Co-Workers - Big Accounts to work on

Cons

Sweat Shop, Over Spending by partners, Bad Egos, They Don't care about Your Familia or employees - Mismanagement of Money

Advice to Management

none - its too late

"Creative Director"

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

It's a job. No more pros.

Cons

They are really unprofessional and disorganized. I really don't understand how they are still in business. They have no idea what a real agency looks like. It sounds hard but that its the sad true. The management has no experience working in advertising before they created the agency.

Advice to Management

Take some management clases, or some advertising lessons. You all are empiric learners recognize that.

"It's good experience to work here, but no longer than a couple of years"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good accounts list, great people to work with (most are ok) from different depts.

Cons

There is no room for social or family life here, you could work 60-80 hrs on any given week. Unless you're an AE, you won't be noticed nor get the promotion. There are a LOT of new business pitches, in addition to your day-to-day, adds to the long days. Health benefits are not that great, they offer 401K that could be good if you enroll.

Advice to Management

Really look deep into who is really contributing to your company's growth and who is dead weight, you'll be quite surprised!

Nov 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for adding your review here. As you know, advertising agencies rely on pitches to grow the business. However, in our case the number of pitches per year averages no more than 10. During... More

"Brown-nosers and workaholics have a chance here"

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of. Maybe good pay, but that depends on every case. They love the "familia" narrative but that's only a distraction from the real problems.

Cons

Horrible management, with plenty of favors to those who will do anything for La Familia and only disgrace and very long hours for those who do the actual work. This is a true career-destroyer. Don't even try this--unless you hate your career.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

What a shame that you feel this way about Lopez Negrete. We don't take the family references lightly. And, there's plenty of evidence of real family effort over the years, including organizing... More

"Assistant"

Pros

Fun Environment, Decent opportunity for growth if it presents itself

Cons

Myopic look at trends and current state of the industry

Nov 20, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for your review. We do try to make our work environment enjoyable, whenever possible. that's what our employee events are all about. Also, helping our team members to grow their skills and... More

"Well past its glory days"

Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Creative in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few talented people working hard to produce the best work possible, considering the circumstances at that place.

Cons

Doesn't matter how good you are or how hard you try to create great work. If top management (most of which DO NOT have an advertising background) doesn't like it, prepare to have your work butchered and turned into some generic pap.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

In the interest of accuracy, we'd like to point out that every top manager at Lopez Negrete has at least 15 years of experience in the advertising industry. We're sorry our agency was not a good fit... More

"Hispanic Agency in Houston"

I worked at López Negrete full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to get your teeth cut in the advertising agency world if you have very thick skin.

Cons

Bootcamp -like environment where you get to experience the cutthroat nature of the advertising world. Very large employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Be a little more human with the employees. Invest more in employee retention.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

While it's true that the advertising world is fast-paced and challenging, most of our clients value the thoughtful creative work we deliver. We feel that the long relationships we've had with our... More

"HMFICOMOD"

Pros

Fajitas and liquor when the chips are down!

Build the bar on the 4th and they will come!

As one intelligent soul of higher power said, "you don't need water. Laughter feeds the soul. After all it's only water."

Cons

Infinite loops around the toilet bowl! They want me to write twenty words or more for the cons... i'm exhausted already.

Advice to Management

None needed.

Oct 23, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We love a funny comment, even when it bites a little. We may not agree with you, but we're hoping you are bringing your clever sarcasm to the brand(s) you support at the agency. Thank you.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at López Negrete full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people is very nice and the clients of most of the accounts are a pleasure to work with. The HR team is also very nice and always open to listen to their employees even most of the time they cannot do anything to help.

Cons

The heads of the agency specially in the Management team are a nightmare to work with. It is an agency that says is all about family since the owners are but the benefits, the policies the flexibility is not family oriented. If you are young or old but lonely with no need of money, with no life and no desire to advance in your career this is a good place to work

Advice to Management

The only reason you have been losing all your clients and wasting tons of money on pitches that end in nothing is because everyone or 90% of the people that works there HATES the place but since Houston does not have a lot of agencies then is difficult to leave. But employees need to be motivated, need to feel they are valuable, need to feel that if they give the agency many hrs of work then the company will help them grow, will appreciate the time and most important will realize that employees NEED a balance between work and family. This company does not know the meaning of loyalty and it is sad to see that years ago it was a happy environment and now walking around feels like a funeral.