L-3 Communications Government Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 16, 2017

3.4
Carl E. Vuono

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A large company, but good place to work"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and mostly they treat their people well. A lot of offices and types of jobs offer a fair amount of movement within the company.

Cons

All the bureaucracy of a larger company.

2. "The tuition reimbursements are great incentives."

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love have the opportunities to work in teams and individual setting.

Cons

Management could do a better job communication with employees. Moral boosting does incredible things to the mindset of employees. Let them know that they're appreciated.

Advice to Management

Don't have an environment of management VS employees

3. "Phenomenal Professionalism"

Former Employee - Senior Architect in Fort Monroe, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect in Fort Monroe, VA

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professionalism. People, and Products. Honest and sincere culture of pride and respect in the work place. Above board and direct in customer relations. Product delivery above and beyond expectations.

Cons

Customer comes first, no matter what sacrifice required from employees. Compensation well below expected salary wage for work performed. Notable gender difference in salaries provided. No ladder of promotion available for professional growth.

Advice to Management

Compensation and turnover rates are related. Many wonderful employees would love to remain a part of your organization for right sized compensation packages based on the actual work performed. Notable gender difference in salaries provided. No ladder of promotion available for professional growth.

4. "Intern"

Pros

Good place to work, good opportunities for interns.

Cons

Interns receive benefits and hourly salary rates.

5. "Short"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nellis AFB, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nellis AFB, NV

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time

Pros

Was a good contract and team

Cons

Contract ended early and the company is to Large not very concerned about employees

6. "CS west was great - I was GES for only 3 months. It was very different. Like another company."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Salary. decent benefits. They looked for a way to place me and others elswhere in the area. Some got placed but others did not due to the sheer numbers affected.

Alright outplacement services, Many other companies did not provide this type of service..
    It did indicate that someone in management cared about separations.

I really liked the VP running the Comm Sys West division. She was great at picnics and company events.

Cons

They are all about using your body kind of like a temp agency would as most of their contracts are subs
    lousy trickle down on award fees from prime only saw enough for a nice dinner with spouse twice in 12 years.

Advice to Management

GES was a low blow to Comm Sys west employees who were transfered along with the separation of the businiss unit. We lost a lot of benefits.

7. "L3 is very employee conscious and they track how you are doing very well"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Tampa, FL

Pros

good pay and excellent people

Cons

very flat for growth with the company as they are tagged to contract vehicles with the Govt.

Advice to Management

try to inprove training expenditures

8. "I would only recommend L-3 Supporting PM TRASYS if you are a prior Marine Officer otherwise skip."

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Orlando, FL

Pros

Could work M-thr 9 hrs Fri 8 hrs and get every other Friday off.
    Not much pressure "from workload" see cons below.

Cons

One glaring problem was only prior Marine Corps Male officers were given leadership or management positions many of them incompetent in their roles (Orlando Office). They may have been great military leaders with 20-30 years experience learning to fight. The problem arises because most of them only have liberal arts degrees and no real engineering or business experience. They do not know how to run a small company never mind several $100M projects Yes that is in Millions $. Many of the engineers were unqualified and were billed to the government as principle engineers when their only experience was operating or as a maintenance team while serving in the military. Had to literally explain why -50 dB was smaller then 10 dB, to the engineering Manager, actual had to draw a number line. Although this tends to be true in the DoD field concerning prior military retires, there are a few exceptions but unfortunately very few. I wouldn't necessarily blame them, after all you can't take the CEO of Apple and expect him to lead the war in Afghanistan, the skill don't necessarily transfer directly.

Advice to Management

re-evaluate the Orlando office's competences and business experience. The Orlando office has become a Good-Old-Boy network for retired Male Marine Officers waiting for their second retirement. Also evaluate the engineers to ensure they have the credentials.

9. "Not always what you think!!!"

Current Employee - Combat Systems Test Engineer
    Current Employee - Combat Systems Test Engineer

I have been working at L-3 Communications Government Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is OK if you are looking for a better than Ok salary. If you have self integrity, you have the benefit of learning and completing multiple highly technical systems which will be used for todays military for our protection. You also have the benefit of feeling accomplished. You build relationships and friendships with many different people and co workers. Employee benefits and perks are very good.

Cons

Not able to move laterally within the Division that you are in or the company. I had an interview with my same company but a different division, and I was treated like I didn't even work for them at all. I still had to go through a drug test, verification of clearance, and not aware of my qualifications or work experience. Currently traveling to another state for the same job because of one yard shutting down and work is in another state. Unfortunately I have to pay for all my own expenses (Gas,Food,Hotel, ect....). Does not care about Work home life balance. The managers do not communicate with each other between the two sites of work. No sort of incentive or encouragement given for continuous success in work assignments and completions of testing. Your personal information is not confidential if you have to inform them of what you must take a day off, everyone will know your business when you return. There has not been any mention of transition of employees(move options,ect.) from the company yet. This question is 2 years old and still no answer. So I guess our answer is don't expect to have a job when that time comes!!! We don't care about you anyway....because it definitely shows!!!

Advice to Management

Give the employees some type of incentive upon completion of testing. We work tirelessly to make sure the systems are delivered without any problems. A "Work Home life Balance" would be very nice. Can't ever plan for family outings, have a set time to get off, or expect a "Good Job" at any time.