L-3 Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese
Michael T. Strianese

Cons

"Good, but with mismanagement and standards that are too high"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good Salary
    - Ample Vacation Time
    - Decent Healthcare

Cons

- One small error could cost you your job
    - Projects don't last long enough for there to be significant knowledge about the project
    - Too many company direction changes in the 3 years I have been there.

"Configuration Manager"

Former Employee - Configuration Manager in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Configuration Manager in Garland, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

No set time to come in just make sure there during meeting hours and make sure your work gets done.

Cons

No bonuses, no incentives, no morale... old old outdated software tools.....

3. "Not for the Creative and Innovative at this location"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive for the area but falls short of many companies of this size.

Cons

Unprofessional and pessimistic work environment. Not much room for growth for mid career professionals. People are here because they need a good paying job and are stuck.

Advice to Management

Hire well rounded, forward thinking employees with character and not simply on skill set. The unprofessional, low morale, and experienced workforce is creating an enovirment that is not inviting to the young, eager and energetic employees.

"Lots of change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waco, TX

I have been working at L-3 Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is high when compared across the aviation industry.

Cons

Lots of turnover on the upper management side causing lots of turmoil in the lower ranks. This has caused a mass exodus of great engineers to leave.

Advice to Management

People are noticing the future of this site looks very bleak. Moral is at an all time low. Something needs to change to bring this site back together.

"Analyst"

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for data analysis

Cons

Management doesn't use data to make decisions
    As long as DOD business model rewards waste this won't change

Advice to Management

None. The financial model supports status quo

"Lot's of Bored People"

I worked at L-3 Communications full-time

Pros

the company had great benefits, a great schedule, a generous time-off program, excellent education-reimbursement program, and made interesting products

Cons

There wasn't enough work to do. I was constantly wondering how I would fill up my 10-hour day because it was a rare occasion for work to come across my desk. I tried to address this with my boss, but he seemed to recognize that a lack of work was the status quo, and not something to worry about.

Advice to Management

The company could probably do just fine with 2/3 of the staff that it had when I was there. I think they were focused on maximizing the amount of money they bill the government, and as a result, they justify adding headcount when there really isn't work to do. If they would focus on maximizing the value they deliver to the government, that would be better.

8. "being a number"

Pros

steady work, benefit for full time, current employees were knowledgeable because they had been there for so long

Cons

they don't appreciate you as an employee, produce produce produce. older work force unwilling to teach new generation. scared to be replaced

Advice to Management

care more about your employees

"Just don't go there"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Lindale, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Manager in Lindale, TX

I worked at L-3 Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

average pay for aerospace, decent benefits. great place to be if you're an active member of the aryan brotherhood good starter for engineering students, no one will question why you've left for better opportunities.

Cons

No jews allowed in greenville. oddest set of ethics you'll ever find nepotistic environment, if you're christian and air force you can do no wrong (provided you be anglo-saxon)

Advice to Management

inclusive means just that.

"Program Manager"

Pros

What really drives me at CSW is the work we are doing for our customers, and the capability we give the war fighter. However, no corporation can expect employees to remain engaged when their employees are overworked, and not rewarded for their achievements that directly contribute to the overall financial success of the company.

Cons

Program management at L-3 is a confounding thing. As program managers, we are accountable to customers for performance of the contract, and to the company for the promised sales and cash the program should generate. Yet, to meet these objectives we constantly compete with other programs for resources from a highly bureaucratic and disorganized functional matrix organization. These functional areas are understaffed, and each have attrition rates in the 10 to 35% range. The Program management organization is chronically understaffed, and program managers are expected to work 20 to 30% overtime regularly to compensate for the lack of manpower available to meet customer objectives. I personally work 10 to 15 hours per day, and at least 10 hours every weekend to keep up with the workload.
    The rewards structure for Program managers at L-3 is ambiguous and, apparently non-existent. PMO executive management is often able to convey expectations for program managers, and how these expectations tie into the apparently non-existent rewards and compensation structure. Program Managers that capture tens of millions of annual sales and bookings often get nothing more than a handshake for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Invest time and resources to develop and reward your best employees. These key people, who help you achieve your financial goals, are burning out and evaluating other employment options daily.

11. "LAY OFFS AGAIN"

Pros

Best co workers in the world, good pay.

Cons

long hours, long commute, no extra time off on pay day, no insurance, no benefits

Advice to Management

Partner with BOCES or a local college if they need more test technicians.

Showing 196 of 1,349 reviews