L-3 Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

L-3 Communications Chairman, President and CEO Michael T. Strianese
Michael T. Strianese

1,332 Employee Reviews

Cons

1. "Great place to work if you like to work hard and have fun doing your job."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

Pros

Engineers are given the freedom to create as long as they stay in the scope of the project at hand. The president of Link, the division I work in has lunches with the workers pretty regular to found out want we are doing and what we would like to see. he listens and if ideas are feasible he implements them.

Cons

Being a sub-contractor to Boeing. They are elitst and don't trust us , they make the projects a lot harder than they need to be. Link, has been bought and sold so many times. we have been fortunate to have been purchased by L-3. Some of the older more senior engineers still like doing things the old way.

Advice to Management

Lighten up, and trust your middle managers.

"Not cutting edge but a good place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Pay is good, maybe even great. The benifits are very nice and include 3 weeks of vacation to start with an additional week added for those over 10 years of service. Low stress enviornment and the leadership tries to ensure the employees are compensated. There are opportunities to learn new software development laguanges, etc.

Cons

Software dev. technologies are behind (on purpose).
    Hired for a specific government contract... if contract goes away, so do I.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Conitue to listen to employees for ideas to better processes, etc.

3. "Good so far, but its also my 1st job!!"

Current Employee - Fanincial Analyst, Junior in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Fanincial Analyst, Junior in Washington, DC

Pros

The benefits and opportunities for growth.

Cons

its hard for me to say because I work on client site, therefore I know the client more than the L-3 people.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for on site employees to meet other L-3 employees.

5. "Grateful employee"

Current Employee - Production in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Production in Lexington, KY

Pros

I think that some of the best aspects are our flexible schedules, benefits, supporting our troops, pay, people we work with, and the job that I do. Tution reinbursement, 401K and excellent benefits are all available. I think that this is a company that recognizes hard work and tries to foster that behavior.

Cons

The red tape and go round between different departments are some of the worst aspects of working for L-3. My understanding is that most larger companies operate in such a fashion, especially those involved in the government. However, if everyone would do their job and not worry about what someone else's job is, things would move much smoother.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape! Tell everyone to quit complaining and do their job!

6. "Life's good at L3"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

Pros

This is a company that really does its best to take care of its people. Even in the difficult times we are in now, layoffs are -really- a last resort . Most often the employee will be offered the chance to move to another area of the company that can leverage his/her skills. L3 is also a vast and diverse company. As well as having tangible asset product lines (i.e. communications gear, avionics, etc.) we also are a service provider to the defense industry at large. This means that large program cuts that affect other defense industry players like Boeing , Lockheed and Nortrhup do not affect L3 as much.

Cons

If your not directly working in a production oriented group and are in a service providing capability, you may find yourself "separated" from the company. That is, you may be working as a "sub" on some other provider's contract and that means your not in daily contact with "the mother ship". This is sometimes inconvenient.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. If anything, streamline the hiring process (division and company dependent) at some locations so as to make it easier to compete for talent.

7. "From it's employee friendly policies to it's challenging work. L-3 has the whole package."

Current Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

L-3 has a laid back atmosphere that encourages learning and innovation. Classes or training supporting your professional development are almost always approved. The company supports its employees on all levels making it an enjoyable place to work.(This may not hold true for all divisions). In the end, if it's the challenge you're looking for, there are not many company's in the midwest where you can work with cutting edge technology like you do at L-3.

Cons

This is a company loved by engineers, but if you're looking for vertical advancement, there is little room to move until someone retires. The organization has remain very flat until recently. This maybe changing.

Advice to Management

I like the direction that we are heading. The inter-division cooperation and development has been a huge benefit for everyone.

8. "Great Team"

Current Employee - All Source Intelligence Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - All Source Intelligence Analyst in Tampa, FL

Pros

compensation, training, and respect. Supervisors treat team members with the upmost respect, and allow them the opportunity to prove themselves before wasting unnecessary time training the fully capable.

Cons

working for the government can be a double-edged sword. you are a representative of the company to the government and must do what they say when they say it, and at times they treat you like a second-class citizen. you must be financially and personally disciplined.

Advice to Management

communication is in the company's name, continue to make that priority number one, and ensure the information travels from the top down.

9. "L-3 Communications"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Very active in continual work outlook

Cons

Upper Mgmt overlooks individual divisions when it comes to individual success

Advice to Management

Beyond local mgmt, upper mgmt over looking local success.

10. "A good place to work"

Former Employee - Electronic Tech in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Electronic Tech in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good people. Decent benefits. I would recommend working for them to anyone that might want a good job in the defense industry.

Cons

You are always prone to layoffs. The hours can be kind of shifty and the facilities may not be the greatest.

Advice to Management

Have an open door policy for the employees, no matter how bad the news is. Make sure that the employees feel appreciated.

11. "Great experience and given resources to learn the companies business and ability to grow as an employee."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Arlington, TX

Pros

Leadership took care of employees and understood the work/family life balance

Cons

Like many companies internal policies get in the way of expediting work

Advice to Management

Keep on taking care of employees.

Showing 1,332 of 1,408 reviews