L Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

L Brands Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Great work / life balance and learned a lot (in 40 reviews)

• Retail changes frequently, can be long hours (in 24 reviews)

1. "Business Intelligence"

Former Contractor - BUSINESS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - BUSINESS SYSTEMS SPECIALIST in Mountain View, CA

I worked at L Brands as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Working in the areas of IT, Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence ... anything of a professional nature can be engaging. The work and people tend to be focused on making the business work like a finely oiled machine.

IF you go to work there, do your job, and leave work behind. Otherwise it will consume you, and if you're there any length of time they'll suck your very soul out of you!

Cons

Unfortunately, when you get to a certain level of management within Limited Brands, it's no secret within Columbus, that you're certain to get canned - and very quickly - which is why I opted to remain at a Project Manager Level. I lasted almost 20 years at Limited Brands - which is a long time to be employed anywhere, but particularly LTD.

If you do happen to take a job in Upper Mgmt, Les Wexner, REQUIRES you to move to New Albany, OH! There are NO EXCEPTIONS! There have been executives who have put their homes on the market, moved to New Albany, only to be fired within a very short period of time - holding two mortgages. It's insanity!

Upper management has NO idea what's going with regard to the inner workings of the business, and has made decisions which have cost the business millions of dol

Limited Brands is NOTORIOUS within the Columbus, OH community for their layoffs - laying off hundreds of employees at a time, without any notice. The decisions for whom to lay off, are often made solely by people who should NOT be making these decisions. People who are poor decision makers, or people who are very poor people managers.

I chose to leave after key data warehousing and business intelligence personnel were laid off in April of 2013. With those cuts, I knew without a doubt, this was no longer a place I wanted to work. Many of the worst managers with the worst people skills who lacked the depth of experience to work with key management, and lacked the ability to make solid decisions were left in charge.

I did not want to be among those who were left making poor decisions, and who lacked solid people skills. The people left in management in Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing lacked any ability to work with their teams. They had no people skills, and no ability to receive constructive criticism given by their team, which is essential if you want to be a good manager.

I realized it was time to move on - and although I'd called Limited Brands Technology my 2nd home for nearly 20 years, it was a decision I will never regret.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to take a good hard look at the people directly below Project Management, and recognize their contributions with more than just bonuses. If someone is receiving a bonus, there's a reason for that, and those are the people you need to speak with and pick their brains about how to improve the business.
    Maybe they don't want to be promoted, but they have voices, and have the best ideas with regard to what upper management is missing.
    I was trained by someone directly UNDER me for my position. He didn't want my position, and he never held back. He made sure I had all the knowledge I needed to do my job to the best of my ability. He was rewarded with bonuses every year for years, and then given the boot - when his direct manager was the one who should have been shown the door.

That day you did us both a favor. LTD is no place to work, unless you want your soul sucked out of you!

"Bath and body works seasonal"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I worked at L Brands part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a fun and fast paced environment. If you are looking for a temporary position it is an okay gig; don't expect more than 15 hours a week, though...maybe 30 after picking up others shifts.

Cons

Disorganized management-- hired too many unreliable employees and then gave everyone very few hours. Those who wanted more hours eventually went elsewhere, others stopped showing up and left everyone else to make up for it. They'd be better off just being more selective in their hiring.

Advice to Management

Don't hire a slew of unreliable workers; hire a few reliable workers.

3. "sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Great management team,supportive, train you to sell and post sales figures. Clients love the merchandise which is always new.

Cons

Employees can be competitive to get sales so they make the sales goal and and credit card goal. Need a lot of availability to get hours for part time work. Schedule only posted a week ahead.

Advice to Management

Interact with employees in a positive way to help us to help you. I can tell there is so much pressure on the management team and there are never enough hours to complete tasks.

5. "Management"

Current Employee - Category Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at L Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Products benefits experienced during launched. Awesome discount. Constant training seminars being organized by the company .

Cons

Lack of work /life balance . Compensation underpaid

Advice to Management

To review better compensation & benefits on the salary range & increment

6. "Company has good benifits."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Columbus, OH

Pros

Benifits are the best thing about the company

Cons

Only will move up if you know some one.

Advice to Management

Help associate development

"Good benefits, but..."

Current Employee - Merchandise Processor in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandise Processor in Reynoldsburg, OH

Pros

The perks (benefits, company outings, discounts etc) are pretty great. Depending on the shift, you'll work with some great people too.

Cons

You'd better be content with the title you were hired for, because unless your superior really likes you, you will not be moving up no matter how hard you work. The culture leaves a lot to be desired in other aspects too. Providing a tax break is worth more than hard work, and management is pulled from recent college graduates.

Advice to Management

Live up to the Limited Way, instead of just barely giving it lip service. Honor the standards set forth in reviews for everyone, and develop talent in those who put forth honest effort.

8. "Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Cool offices. Starbucks in the building.

Cons

Lack of competent management, and too many meetings

Advice to Management

Get organized

9. "Compensation is ok... Benefits barely above average."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Reynoldsburg, OH

I have been working at L Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good amount of vacation days

Cons

More than I care to write about.

Advice to Management

Help employees to grow.

10. "Good benefits and work but no career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reynoldsburg, OH

Pros

Good health benefits, employee discount, fun place to work

Cons

Upper management, work-life balance, no growth in position

Advice to Management

Promote those who work hard and smart. Have seen many a few who get promoted who talk a lot, hang out with management guys after hours,f riends on facebook or even go out to smoke together.

11. "Great Environment and Great Benefits"

I have been working at L Brands full-time

Pros

The environment is very casual and inviting. L Brands plays a big part in the community and values people that contribute. The benefits are fantastic, including medical, dental, vision, and employee discount to retail stores. Mr. Wexner is very involved and is seen walking around the buildings. They value cross training and giving their front line/hourly associates room for growth.

Cons

They eliminate jobs quickly without notice or explanation. L Brands values inclusion, but I found that was not necessarily true. The corporate world is very political, if you are in a leadership role you must find a mentor and at times have to make decisions that are not morally correct. But, that is all a personal opinion and depends on an individuals ethics and morals.