L.L. Bean Reviews in Freeport, ME | Glassdoor

L.L. Bean Freeport Reviews

Updated March 27, 2017

Freeport, ME

Pros
Cons
  • Little room for advancement: nepotism is rampant, best way to get ahead is to be related to a manager (in 11 reviews)

• It was not easy to become a year round part time or full time employee (in 11 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeport, ME

Pros

Meet a lot of new customers each day. It's fun to help them find what they're looking for. Each day brings new adventures

Cons

High chief to worker ratio. I'm still not sure the pecking order of my department. I only know that if somebody comes up to ask me to do something, I agree and do it.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and communicative with your employees. It means a lot to have someone in management recognize your efforts.

2. "Packer/PIT operator"

Former Employee - Multipacker Part Time C in Freeport, ME
    Former Employee - Multipacker Part Time C in Freeport, ME

I worked at L.L. Bean part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a pretty no hassle place to work. Show up for your scheduled shift, work hard and fast and nobody will give you a hassle. Hourly wages aren't bad for a warehouse job but getting enough hours to support a family is very difficult. See the cons section.

Cons

LL Bean no longer believes in full time hours for blue collar employees. They will schedule you for a 2-3 days a week and then expect you to watch and internet site constantly all day long to see if you can get work for the next day. That makes it impossible schedule things with your family or have a second or third job. When you are scheduled for an eight hour shift you rarely get that full eight hours. I got as little as 3.5 hours for an eight hour shift. They will string you along for years this way. The company purposely keeps way too many employees at the distribution center so they have little to no risk of ever having to pay benefits or overtime even during the peak season. The only fulltime distribution employees are those that have worked there 15-20 years before the company got so greedy.

Advice to Management

Look at the average take home pay of your blue collar employees. How many of those people are living below the poverty line?

"Great experience"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Representative in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Representative in Freeport, ME

Pros

The team of employees around you is terrific. I genuinely learned something new each day on the job.

Cons

You are given a schedule with hours that are quite variable. This can make it difficult to plan ahead.

"Too much work. Not enough time. Not enough bodies. No relief EVER. Management does not care."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with great history. They offer great perks to their employees in terms of the discount and employee store

Cons

Retail is always scary. IT has no work life balance. Management does not want to hear any negative comments and will ding you for anything they can. Many live in fear and that is not a great long term management style.

Advice to Management

Stop over commuting and listen to you employees and respect their opinion and stop trying to be technical. You hired people to do the technical.

6. "L.L. Bean"

Former Employee - Client Support Representative I in Freeport, ME
    Former Employee - Client Support Representative I in Freeport, ME

I worked at L.L. Bean full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management takes very good care of employees. Support is there whenever it is needed, whether it's computer equipment, training or team issues. I sensed great respect from virtually all levels of management and co-workers. A place I could work at forever.

Cons

Scheduling is an issue...LL asks employees to have great flexibility in their availability for work. At times the company seems inflexible around this issue.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to keep up the great work in taking care of employees and their needs.

7. "Awesome Company, Colleagues and Workplace"

Current Contractor - Java Consultant in Freeport, ME
    Current Contractor - Java Consultant in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean as a contractor

Pros

* This is an awesome place to learn new things
    *Good benefits
    *Very helpful and patient people
    *It gives a lot of job securities
    *Ability to work remotely
    *Great vacation packages
    *Employee discounts on LL Bean products
    *Lots of outdoor activities for employees

Cons

*Sometimes, the decisions they take in selecting platforms for development are weird and complicated

Advice to Management

* Thanks for making such a friendly work environment. An environment without too much pressure. This helps to accomplish tough goals.

"Great Company, Even Greater People"

Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Intern in Freeport, ME

Pros

The people who work here are the greatest coworkers I have ever had. Love for the outdoors means you are encouraged to explore and try new and exciting things both during, and before and after work. Work life balance is paramount to the company and to individual employees.

Cons

Antiquated structure and way of doing things. Older average age of employee than in most metro-area companies. Outdated systems and slow moving processes can sometimes be frustrating, but 100+ years of success is difficult to argue with.

Advice to Management

Ensure the upper mid-level management still engages with their employees, and are able to focus on managing. Continue to do much of what you are currently doing, especially remaining visible and in tune with all functional areas of the company.

"After 5 years I've found it to be so-so."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most people are friendly Mainers who make great teammates. I like the community / team play aspect of working at L.LBean. The workplace politics are definitely there, like everywhere, but are a lot less in your face than at other employers. Interpersonal relationships are held at a high premium at L.L.Bean. About half dozen of my (soon to be former) co-workers will undoubtedly be lifelong friends.

The Bean's Best program is a great idea.

Cons

In general, I enjoyed working at L.L.Bean. For an IS job, which can be extremely stressful at times, I found the level of stress at L.L.Bean to be a lot less, and people to be easier to deal with on the whole. I soured on the job after 3 years, due to the insulting process of attempting to move ahead in the company.

L.L.Bean isn't the place for you if you have great technical skills and motivated towards career development. For technical jobs, your peers have a highly mixed level of experience, and across the IS department the lack of deep technical skills means that lots of people lean on people with better technical skills. Ironically, actual job achievement does not seem to be rewarded. Once in 5 years I received anything other than a standard 2% raise, and I found I was more capable/driven than the vast majority of my peers in IS. At previous employers this would have meant better overall compensation each year, but at L.L.Bean it meant exactly nothing at all.

Advancement at L.L.Bean is nebulous and doesn't seem to be based on one's actual work experience or ability to get the job done. This is where politics became really apparent to me. I literally saw several terrible people get promoted, and was absolutely stunned; I get the part about interpersonal relationships and all, but there's a point where cronyism undermines the integrity that the company holds so dear.

L.L.Bean has been doing some variant of employing people for over 100 years, and while I respect its longevity and treatment of the customer overall, I also can't help but to address its inflexibility. When you hear the company crowing about retaining talent, but then it won't meet talented people even half way when it comes to negotiating compensation or career development, you come to the conclusion that the company is a wolf after all. When I decided it was time to move on, there was a clear distinction between the flexibility offered by "new school" companies, and the antiquated/conservative nature of what L.L.Bean was doing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight in IS and streamline its management. Don't wait for a RIF to remove people who don't perform. While the community aspect of L.L.Bean is attractive, ultimately people are there as employees first, and part of the community second. Reboot the Bean's Best program; it's a wonderful idea, but winning Bean's Best is too far abstracted from top notch performance on the job. Oh yes, and as noted above, if you claim you want to retain talent, then practice what you preach!

10. "Values Stakeholders"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Freeport, ME

Pros

Good benefits, work/life balance, values employees, family owned.

Cons

Conservative, slow decision-making process, tools aren't always up-to-date

11. "Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Freeport, ME
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Freeport, ME

I have been working at L.L. Bean full-time

Pros

Wonderful culture, strong core values, great community, many growth opportunities

Cons

In process of updating facilities

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!