L'Occitane Reviews | Glassdoor

L'Occitane Reviews

Updated November 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

2.9
L'Occitane Directeur Exécutif, Président du Conseil d'Administration et Président Directeur Général Reinold Geiger
Reinold Geiger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Bad Wage Practices / terrible bonus"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount, managers are usually team players, good product, beautiful stores.

Cons

Everyone from 2017 is talking about the upper management because ITS BAD. But I am going to focus on the wage issue.

I worked at L'Occitane for over 1 year on <10/per hour. Coming up on my second year, a new hire (with no sales experience and barely any work experience) was hired at a MUCH higher wage than me. This happens in this company a lot.

Also, our store exceeded our sales goals overwhelmingly. The company gives yearly bonuses depending on your entire stores performance. It is not based on individual numbers at all. You receive the same (%) bonus as the whole store. Our store did amazingly last year, and we got the same bonus as our neighboring store even though they TANKED that year. Their sales were awful.

So my coworkers (part time and management) were very very demoralized. Our efforts stood out, but it was for nothing. We did get bonuses based on sales on certain months, but our overall pay raises were not given priority. They rate your store on a GPA scale. We got something around 3.3 and the other store got a 2.7 or something. Yet we revived the same raise as them, killing our moral completely.

Not to mention the new hire automatically was given a higher wage than I despite the raise I was given. Very demoralizing and the store hasn't been the same ever since.

Advice to Management

Change the yearly evaluation, OK? Change it. Make it about the individual employee and his/her performance. Throw away the GPA system if its going to mean so little. And, don't allow your DMs to give permission to the Management to hire unskilled workers for more than you pay your loyal employees. Its a small boutique, and everyone knows everyone else's wage.

2. "Easy and rewarding to make customers feel happy you use great products."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing to sell.. knowing the customers are getting their money's worth.

Cons

It's exasperatin to work inconsistently every week.

Advice to Management

Needs to be better organized and not biased

3. "Company has a lot to learn..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane full-time

Pros

Gratis. Some wonderful people in the retail setting. Decent product

Cons

TERRIBLE upper management and corporate. Marketing and sales training is an absolute mess. Can never admit to their inabilities as a company.

Advice to Management

If you want us to be skin care experts please learn how to make that happen before putting pressure on your employees to make sales with your inability to learn to train and educate properly (this is on a corporate level of inability, not store manager level). Bullying clients into buying products they dont want by insulting their intelligence with "conditional statements" is pathetic and a terrible way to build loyalty and genuine concern for your customers needs.
    Also, teach your corporate office to be courteous to other employees of your brand. I've worked in the beauty retail industry for almost 20 years, and I have never come across a more stand offish rude corporate office. Half of them are just interns, you're not better then the lowly retail workers, please get over yourselves.

"Caddy Shack"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntington Station, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Huntington Station, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the product and the discount. Anti aging skin care was my favorite. Lots of perks and bonus opportunity if you work hard.

Cons

Depending on the manager you might be stuck with a know it or a do nothing type. Working with women is not easy however it was here that I had my worst experience. They pretend you are a friend and then stab you in the back at the first opportunity. Lesson learned, nobody is a friend.

Advice to Management

Things aren’t always as they appear. No matter what kids of Manager you have so long as the store has good numbers all is over looked. Dig a little deeper to find the cover ups.

"Do NOT work for this company"

Former Employee - PTSA in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PTSA in Chicago, IL

I worked at L'Occitane (More than 3 years)

Pros

The monthly gratis and the employee discounts

Cons

Upper management is a mess. You simply can't trust them. They pay you a part-time sales position and expect you to perform management tasks. When store closes, they make all those promises to try to lure you to stay until the end but when the time comes, they don't keep their word.

Advice to Management

Get your act together! Stop favoritism.

6. "Great Sales position, but not for the social types."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company trust, great communication, fair wages.

Cons

Long hours alone, huge expectations, outdated computer systems.

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Keyholder in New York, NY

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gratis every new campaign . Generous 40 % discounts on full priced items and 15% on sale items . Get to demo new products

Cons

Forced to sell divine cream to everyone . Doesn't matter who the customer is . Just sell the cream . Even if they are not the right customer for it . Management is not too great in trying to keep employees satisfy in the amount of work they put in.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership courses and learn to be a real leader and lead a team . The fact that your in skincare is an intimate business and you have to sell the correct items to the clients based on their needs , not to benefit your own sales goals . Stop being selfish because at the end it catches up to you .

"Great Gratis but that is it"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at L'Occitane full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gratis, discount, employee benefits for full time, bath products are nice, slow pace only busy during holiday, promotions available with relocation

Cons

Transparency: corporate expects managers to be transparent about everything but they are not transparent when it comes to web sales, company direction and removal of products. If you don't tell the managers why or when the product is removed to customers it makes teams look clueless and unprofessional.

Bonus: unrealistic expectations when traffic is down in centers over 30-40% but still expected to pull numbers from last year and more to make bonus. Web sales supposedly count for bonus but wouldn't know because haven't seen a web report in over 1 year. How can you win the game if you don't know the score.

Pay and Hiring: the same pay rate has been in place for over 5 years with no change. You want a certain level of service but you won't pay what the rate that is needed for that level of expertise and service. This goes for all part time and full time positions. It takes too long in the interview process could take 3-4 weeks with coordinating with multiple people to process a part time position and then they have to clear a background check. This all together can take a month or more depending on how fast district manager has time to interview. They want employees to be best of the best but they pay for mediocrity at best. If you want top talent pay them don't use bonus as the incentive to get them on because really when was the last time a store bonus every month for a year

Upper Management: managers in district and regional levels rarely communicate to store manager level when management has reached out to them numerous times. They are spread to thin to deal with the volume of stores in their districts and regions. When you do reach out to upper management it could be a week or more when you have sent multiple emails and voicemails till someone gets back with you. They have a total lack of disregard on their time but when you are off they expect you to be working, but not of their time off.

Advice to Management

If you are going to continue using the Great Place to Work survey listen to what your employees are telling you. Make the changes and maybe you won't have the high turnover that the company was experiencing these past few years. When your turnover is over 50% in one year, own your mistakes and make the change. Isn't that in the prosperity and mood elevator that we spent so much time learning and using in the store, maybe upper management should practice what they teach the managers in the store level.

9. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cabazon, CA

I worked at L'Occitane part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Skin Care, great team to work with.

Cons

Great Skin care, you want to buy everything in the store.

"Unfair Wage Practices."

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at L'Occitane part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the products and true stories. If you love French culture, you will love working at L'Occitane.

Cons

The wage gaps between employees are unfair and creates negative morale for the team, compounded by the fact that they have to work together in such small physical space together.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring a new employee without any work experience at $14 an hour while the rest of the team are at $11 - $11.50 , make the effort to balance out these seemingly unfair hiring and wage practices.